News   Jul 26, 2024
 870     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Its only going to be a facade and they are even taking that down, before reconstructing it.

wow ok thought they were at least trying a bit of heritage preservation but I see now it is all just for show. Too bad

They are preserving the facade - there's nothing inside worth saving.

The hertiage report from the city also indicated a good chunk of the building will actually be rebuilt using new bricks.

AoD

Pieces of the stump should be incorporated into the design. After all it’s been the predominant structure on the site for a while now. :b

It isn't so much that there's "nothing inside worth saving"--after all, in certain heritage-friendly circles these days, "embodied energy" arguments can overshadow even aesthetics in justifying the wisdom of saving the old and pre-existing.

From what I gather, the problem reported here is that whatever the facade quality, the existing concrete superstructure was discovered to be poorly constructed in the first place (back in the 1920s), to the point where there was little-or-no economic choice other than to tear down and rebuild in kind, using original or appropriately-replicated elements where possible. A more aggravated version of the reported Concourse Building situation, IOW...

I don't have a camera with me so I can't take pictures, but there is a demolition machine of some sort pounding away at the bottom south west corner of the stump this morning where they have been drilling the holes.

It's removed a fair chunk of the building. Perhaps testing the effectiveness of the drilling measures, but it looks like it's starting to go.

Stump Update after lunch

WHOAAAA, they are really chopping away at it. There is a hole in the west wall (almost the whole width) about 2 stories with nothing but hanging rebar and they are now banging away at the second opening on the south wall.

This is really getting stump-serious. Really sorry I don't have a camera with me and I'm not in the office tomorrow to bring one.

I'll take the call if I have some time at lunch tomorrow (and if I am not beaten to it).

People this is an urgent priority!

How can we let our beloved stump vanish without constat updates? The symbol our of fair city's failure to attact substantial new office development for the past decade, can not go with a whimper!

We need to have a Stump Busting Party. I nominate Ed to host... I hear he has much leisure time on his hands these days.

Never say I don't do anything for you people. After reading the above, I grabbed my metropass and headed down on a rainy night, despite a head cold that might well prove fatal. I can feel the life slipping from me, even as I upload to photobucket. What a way to go.

Forgive the lousy photos; I was using a loaner camera with a dying battery, whose low-light features I'm not familiar with. Still, it'll give you an idea of what's going on:

Intact from this side -
DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

West side: big giant hole -
DSC00051.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

Farewell to you too, curtain wall test section
DSC00055.jpg

Dimly lit from the south -
DSC00063.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

Meanwhile, overlooking the scene -
DSC00067.jpg

BayAdelaide-Sept13,06(3).jpg

BayAdelaide-Sept13,06(5).jpg

Obviously the part taken out is fairly thin and relatively easy to remove. The corners will be a whole other story.
BayAdelaide-Sept13,06(7).jpg

I was out taking pictures as well, but since I was at work late tonight, didn't get a chance yet to post. Beaten fair and square. Though it's really worth seeing in person, so still worth it.

Back