News   Jul 26, 2024
 870     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread

Quote:
Landmark towers don't always have to be the biggest.

..if not the biggest at least the nicest !!! :eek: :evil :eek:

Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread

Awww, who doesn't have a soft spot for Master Cork's famous tirade about the whole profession being a parade and the articling students (or kids, as he called them) place being right behind the elephants?

It does seem unfortunate that instead of two similarly sized towers they wouldn't have added at least twenty floors to one of them to make a landmark tower.

I am happy this project is going forward but it in skyline terms we are getting yet another box right in MINT which one of Toronto's skyline problems, all the tall towers clustered at one intersection of the city. Don't get me wrong, I think we have a grand collection of skyscrapers and it is interesting how they are clustered but we need a bit more diversity in terms of boxes (would nice to see some of the new "digital" architecture) and in terms of spreading the skyline out a bit. 715 feet is nothing to sneeze at, but 900 feet would have been more noticeable (to the chagrin of condo buyers in Trump however).

Standing in for Ed007 this Sunday August 20, is spmarshall.

Demolition of both Bay Street buildings is well underway, and it looks like many holes have been drilled for the disintegration of the stump.

BA1.jpg

BA2.jpg

BA3.jpg

BA4.jpg

Ad for Porker Air up.

BA5.jpg

BA6.jpg

BA7.jpg

Already testing the chemical reaction to dissolve the concrete?

BA8.jpg

Thanks for the pics, SPM. I almost feel like I was there.

"Already testing the chemical reaction to dissolve the concrete?"

more likely pressure induced fissures caused by a chemical reaction between two substances that creates a rapidly expanding foam

the streaks on the stump are most likely from the drill bit cooling system

more likely pressure induced fissures caused by a chemical reaction between two substances that creates a rapidly expanding foam

Yup... that's how it was explained to me, at least. (Not sure whether the resulting expanding stuff was foam, per se, but...)

Thanks for the pics. I have to admit that they make me a little giddy. Not only do we have hoarding up around the Telus and RBC Dexia sites, but the stump is finally in its last days... The downtown office sector is alive and kicking again.

:D

The Telus building in Ottawa is well under way - a very short time from announcement to construction. If that is any indicator, it won't be too long before this one gets started.

Taken yesterday, August 30. Some progress in one and a half weeks, plus shots of workers drilling.

BAaug301.jpg

BAaug302.jpg

BAaug303.jpg

BAaug304.jpg

BAaug305.jpg

BAaug306.jpg

I noticed yesterday they'd taken away the graveyard of corinthian capitals that had grown up along Temperance - that's where they had been storing and marking all the stone from the old building that is to be put back up.

Darn- i wanted one of those capitals for my garden. In the context of it's surroundings the tower design will fit in well- which is what they were aiming for I suppose. The 'urban plaza' between the building has potential.

they are tearing down BOTH buidlings and putting one back up?
I thought they were saving the older one. Or is only going to be a facade?

They're saving the stone from the older one. I would imagine that they will recreate the facade with new brick.

Back