News   Aug 30, 2024
 3K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.9K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 649     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

A cool vantage point for the next few years.
IMG_4682.jpg

The heads of Brookfield Properties both here and New York, along with Mayor Miller and the head of the Toronto office of KPMG. Rather than a ground breaking they went with a stump breaking.
IMG_4714.jpg

These guys would make lousy construction workers. They put up new cement to make it easy for them to knock it down. Barely touched it. Either way good news all around.
IMG_4730.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and the report Ed. It's going to be a good summer for downtown Toronto.

Great pics! I love the "stump busters" idea instead of the shovels. Gotta love the gold sledgehammers.
Great moment for TO.

I dont see how their was a transfer of density from the north tower to the east tower. It is still the same height.

Either way nothing surprising about the lead tenant. Great to see this one go up.

Ed, thanks for the photos from the press conference.

This is going to be a great addition. Can you guys imagine this area with Trump on the other side? That plaze is going to be one sweet spot.

Interesting, I wonder if KPMG is going to abandon their space at Commerce Court?

Yes, they will be vacating.

"Ed, thanks for the photos from the press conference"

ditto

Are those giant holes in the stump!

^ Yes. Those were doorways (for the elevators?) that were sealed by cinderblock when the project was halted.

Remember this day friends.

Years of talk, dreams, hopes, false starts, anger, frustration...
The stump is coming down.

Remember the day.

Thanks for the great coverage, Ed; and good to see that UT has an official reporter now, too!

Oh my gosh, another BOX being added to our skyline, how inspiring!

Seriously, couldn't they come up with a better design?

Louroz

Thanks for the great coverage, Ed; and good to see that UT has an official reporter now, too!

I'm planning other official reporters and photographers. Send me a message if interested. I want to enlist photographers that can do regular photo updates of the various projects across the city. Every few weeks or once a month. From where I live I'll be able to do Bay Adelaide, Trump (should it start), Sapphire (should it start), Ritz/RBC, Telus, Maple Leaf Square, Vu and London Lofts. I'd like to find people that can do other areas and other projects. For example the Yorkville area (Stern, Four Seasons), Y&E, City Place, NYCC, MCC and all the other major projects. Again let me know. Time to drive the forum forward.

I like the renderings. Nothing spectacular, but still a nice box. Should be a good addition.

From the Post:

'Urban plaza' to be built over Adelaide 'stump'
Zosia Bielski, National Post

Published: Thursday, July 20, 2006
A park will replace the infamous "stump," a six-storey elevator shaft that has been an eyesore on Adelaide Street for 15 years.

The park, or "urban plaza" as it's being called, will be the focal point of the 2.6-million-square-foot Bay Adelaide Centre launched yesterday. The centre will take up two city blocks between Yonge and Bay streets and include three mixed-use towers -- office, hotel and maybe residential.

Serving as a courtyard for the towers, the park will run from Adelaide to Temperance streets. "It's intended to be an urban oasis," said Ric Clark, chief executive of Brookfield Properties, which owns the site.

Although the park is still in the early stages of design, Mr. Clark likens it to Zuccotti Park, which Brookfield built recently in Lower Manhattan. The park, which is next to the World Trade Centre, features ground lighting and 20-foot trees.

The blueprint for the new park on Adelaide shows a linear design that includes rectangular lawns and urns bordered by trees. The park will be a privately funded public space.

It will take the place of the enormous stump, which appeared as part of an unfinished office tower in 1991 and has grown in the civic imagination.

"The stump was a symbol of Toronto stagnating," Mayor David Miller said at yesterday's launch.

Along with Mr. Clark, Mr. Miller donned a hard hat and took a sledgehammer to the stump.

The Mayor said the Bay Adelaide Centre heralds new growth in the financial core, which hasn't seen a significant development since BCE Place went up in 1992.

The first tower will measure 50 storeys, with the top 10 floors rented to KPMG, a global accounting firm. The building will incorporate the historic, 11-storey facade of the National Building on Bay Street. Construction is to be completed by 2009.

The park will be across the street from "Cloud Gardens," a woodland garden built in 1993 on land that was subdivided for lots by Methodist philanthropist Jesse Ketchum.

Mr. Miller said the "urban fabric will be linked" throughout the centre by access to the PATH system and the urban park.

© National Post 2006

AoD

Back