News   Jul 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Thanks Ed!

What's with the projecting glass fins theme - first it's Telus, now BA...

AoD

Ed.

Thanks for posting those.

Its a bit strange that they would opt for a relatively small (38 storey) hotel/residential component on Bay-Adelaide North.

Some facts:
- zoning of 2.5 million sq ft for entire site
- up to 639,000 sq ft of residential
- west tower height limit of 715 ft
- east tower height limit of 590 ft
- 1,100 parking spots
- north tower height limit of 393 ft

Its a bit strange that they would opt for a relatively small (38 storey) hotel/residential component on Bay-Adelaide North.

Shadowing issues on Nathan Phillips square resulted in the planned department recommending a reallocation of density from the north tower to the east tower.

Ed007Toronto, thanks for the work and pics.

Yes, the plaza seems a little bland (although they could easily change the design) and the tower heights for the remaining buildings are a bit disappointing considering the location. You would think they would try to take advantage of the location and attempt to get the most bang for the buck out of the buildings (and thus add more floors). Perhaps the building heights will change over time and with further applications to the city.

Looks good. The PATH connection will be useful and I'm going to refuse to comment on the parkette until I'm sitting in it surrounded by 2500 cumulative feet of skyscrapers.

"What's with the projecting glass fins theme - first it's Telus, now BA..."

It's the latest rage, the successor of scalloped glass entry awnings, perhaps.

"Perhaps the building heights will change over time and with further applications to the city."

I wonder if scrapping the north tower, doubling the size of the Cloud Garden, and consolidating the office and hotel/residential uses into the two remaining (but now 20 stories taller) towers was ever considered.

Two questions:
- What's the difference between Option 1 and Option 2 other than the placement of four trees and the comical overabundance of elevators?
- Is anyone else intrigued by the lobby design - marble, cedar, and fluorescent lights?

I dont't think the Plaza is any less dull than, say, TD Centre's.

Shadowing issues on Nathan Phillips square resulted in the planned department recommending a reallocation of density from the north tower to the east tower

I wonder if they even did any studies on the shadow effect. I mean, this is even further away from the NPS than Sapphire, which was reduced to a still impressive...65, 70 storeys?

How tall is the Cadillac Fairview Tower directly east of Old City Hall?

If they really care about shadows, I'd be all in favour of them imploding the Sheraton.

The Concourse Retail plan seems to indicate that the concourse will be finished before the towers up top are, and more significantly, that the north tower will not be directly opposite the plaza, but will be offset to the right of centre. That contradicts the other plans of course, but the retail concourse plan looks the most detailed of all. Maybe the dashed line on it indicating the tower overhead... is just plain wrong.

"If they really care about shadows, I'd be all in favour of them imploding the Sheraton."

If they really cared about shadows, they'd take down the walkways :evil

Look at the retail level plan and you can still see what will be left of
the old Stump!

Somehow I'm comforted knowing that Stumpy will not be completely
gone...

I thought that the planning report indicated the Brookfield would be required to take PATH to the west edge of the site and provide knock out panels for potential future connections. The underground retail plan seems to indicate the public corridors will end part way through the west building by a set of escalators.

Poor planning for the future if that is the case and it seems to be in contravention of the final planning report... unless I'm reading the plans Ed posted wrong.

I'm sick of hearing that we lose height on proposals in the core because of an afternoon shadow that falls on Nathan Phillips Square sometime during mid winter. Are thy afraid the shadows will kill the lawn of concrete they have? I'm all for imploding the Sheraton as well.

"I thought that the planning report indicated the Brookfield would be required to take PATH to the west edge of the site and provide knock out panels for potential future connections."

looks like a possible future connection along the south wall

Even though building heights have crept upward on the residential side and Toronto has certainly embraced tall building forms I suspect it will be some time before we see much in the way of super talls. This might not be a bad thing given how significant an impact a building like ROCP still has in this city. 500 to 700 is still very tall for Toronto.

I'd take two 500's over one 1000 anyday all things being equal.

Back