News   Aug 29, 2024
 685     1 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 556     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

As mentioned several pages back, Canada Trust going up in 1990 using similar building methods.

bce-place-1991.jpg

What's remarkable about that photo is how large the ratio of floorplate to core is, as compared to what we're seeing at B/A. It had always struck me that B/A is all bone and no meat, but this picture brings it home.

Also, how 1990 photos suddenly seem vintage.

What's remarkable about that photo is how large the ratio of floorplate to core is, as compared to what we're seeing at B/A. It had always struck me that B/A is all bone and no meat, but this picture brings it home.

Also, how 1990 photos suddenly seem vintage.

keep in mind that the core may be stepped also, so the core for BA will look alot smaller once it get alot higher too

It's an early 90's picture..

Also the core of Bay Adelaide will get smaller as it rises..

If anything Bay Adelaide will be a stronger building than BCE place because of its solid core. ( An we all know how important it is to have a strong building these days with Al Quida runnin' loose and all the wanna be's tryin' to be like them)

P.S. Cal, I have the ultimate (high res camera, not webcam) POV of this sucker but I'm not sure I can be bothered shooting 5 frames a week and then cutting it together into the ultimate time-lapse.

Unless of course a certain ex-girlfriend would meet me for a martini.... in the Martini Bar... in the building ...with the perfect POV of BA rising....

She moved to California......

So your out of luck.

If anything Bay Adelaide will be a stronger building than BCE place because of its solid core.

The BCE Place core is also solid cement so I don't understand what you mean by that.

The BCE Place core is also solid cement so I don't understand what you mean by that.

The Bay Adeliade core is blast resisitant to 11 stories. ( They spec'd it on the website.. probably due in part to the increased threat of terrorism)

Redundant life safety systems: Redundant emergency power feeds to all life safety systems with diesel-powered generators
Building core: Robust, hardened concrete core
Fire resistance rating: 3 hours
Blast Resistant Floors: Lower 11 storeys
Exit stairwells: 53 inch stair width (20% above Ontario Building Code) to facilitate access and egress; pressurized stairwells
Automatic sprinkler: Redundant dual-feed, automated sprinkler system
Air intake protection: Ultraviolet irradiation treatment on air shaft

The two mini-cranes are an interesting feature of this project that I haven't seen before. Presumably they can't handle anything very heavy, but I wonder why more projects don't use these instead of a second tower crane.

Redundant life safety systems: Redundant emergency power feeds to all life safety systems with diesel-powered generators

Sounds like the Starship Enterprise. Lifesupport and a containment chamber should the warp core breach... now everyone, picture Levar Burton doing his best Indiana Jones role underneath the falling door...

Sounds like the Starship Enterprise. Lifesupport and a containment chamber should the warp core breach... now everyone, picture Levar Burton doing his best Indiana Jones role underneath the falling door...
HAHA!! I actually laughed while reading that.

EVERYBODY OUT! GO GO GO!

In high school, nobody could pass a closing garage door without taking the opportunity to do the Laforge roll.

EVERYBODY OUT! GO GO GO!

In high school, nobody could pass a closing garage door without taking the opportunity to do the Laforge roll.

Don't get me started on the Federation's exploding consoles -- evidently they never heard of surge protectors -- or seatbelts.

In a hopeless attempt to keep this thread on topic, is anybody else able to reach the webcam, it's been out all day for me.

Back