News   Apr 19, 2024
 287     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 592     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 711     1 

Battlestar Galactica

SPOILERS

My one (small) acting quibble is a bit of inconsistency from Tricia Helfer and, I'm afraid, Grace Park too. Head Six is brilliant, as is whoever is in Galactica's brig. But in the scenes in Cylon-land the other incarnation of Six seems...I dunno, juvenile. Like she's playing at realpolitik. Similarly, Grace Park was great as Boomer/Athena but, I think, crap in the Cylon power-politics debates. I don't know why this is, since both women are obviously extremely talented (and totally hot!). Or I could be imagining it.

Oh, and we haven't yet discussed Tory. What a nutbar.

Big Spoiler Alert

BIG SPOILER ALERT

A friend told me last weekend (without asking first if I wanted to hear spoilers) that the show's creator stated that the last cylon is not in the "last supper" promotional photo. Anyone else hear this?

I am still wondering if there really are 13, not 12.

A jury (12) and a judge (1)

The council of 12 and the president.

Earth being the 13th tribe.

Of course they will wittle down the cylons to 12/13 (no dupicates), pick up the human religion, the human blood (cylon/human hybrids), before reaching their destination.

etc.

SPOILER

I just watched Friday's episode. All I can say is, Holy Frak! The last ten minutes made my head spin. Two weeks is way too long to wait. Grace Park knocked the bit with the Six at the end absolutely out of the park. Real maniacal look in her eyes there. Gaeta was great too. This (mostly Canadian!) cast is absolutely stellar, week after week.

And I love the element of the Hybrid, plugged back in, going a bit rogue. Presumably she can just be unplugged again immediately, but one wonders why she decided to jump so quickly, and indeed where to.

I am starting to think Roslin is the last cylon, frankly. Everyone else she sees in the Opera House is known to be a cylon, right? This except Baltar, who even though (perhaps) not a cylon, clearly has some kind of close connection to them.

SPOILER

I just watched Friday's episode. All I can say is, Holy Frak! The last ten minutes made my head spin. Two weeks is way too long to wait. Grace Park knocked the bit with the Six at the end absolutely out of the park. Real maniacal look in her eyes there. Gaeta was great too. This (mostly Canadian!) cast is absolutely stellar, week after week.

And I love the element of the Hybrid, plugged back in, going a bit rogue. Presumably she can just be unplugged again immediately, but one wonders why she decided to jump so quickly, and indeed where to.

I am starting to think Roslin is the last cylon, frankly. Everyone else she sees in the Opera House is known to be a cylon, right? This except Baltar, who even though (perhaps) not a cylon, clearly has some kind of close connection to them.

Roslin received a transfusion from a human/cylon hybrid... I figured this is a side effect :p

SPOILER

Yes, the past 2 episodes have been unreal. Just watched Friday's episode and the scenes with Hera, the opera house and the whole last 10 minutes pure awesome.

The best parts of these episodes have been the reaction of the final 4. Their actions and choices are so interesting. We (the viewers) and they (the characters) don't know what is motivating them. They are stuck in this identity crisis and I love watching it. It is so interesting.

BIG SPOILER

If the final cylon isn't in the last supper photo than I'm still sticking to either Doc Coddle or Zarrek.

Random aside: does anyone else find themselves having a constant urge to use the word "frak" and its various derivatives in everyday conversation? It's such a perfect expletive. Definitely a stroke of genius on the parts of the original BSG writers, coming up with that. Little did they know it would fit so perfectly in the gritty context of the reinvented BSG thirty years later.

That mid-season finale was amazing. I just watched it after being away in Europe for over a month.

How this show is not recognized as pure art is beyond me? The artful sequence at the end that showed all the characters and their reactions (before we got to react) was cinema.

*SPOILERS*

Earth is post-frak'n-apocalyptic. Where do we go from here? The highlight of the episode for me was not the mutually assured destruction motif (although the irony is not lost on the fact that while Galactica an the Cylons prevailed with cooler heads, the people of Earth were not so bright) nor was my favourite part the revelations of the final 4. No, the best part (hands down) was the fantastic performance by Edward James Olmos as he broke down and weeped over all the people he's sent to their deaths "for nothing". It was unreal.

The whole episode ranks high. But holy frak, where do we go from here?

It is amazing to me how many people I have spoken with who merely shrug when I mention BSG. First off, most of them (me included) hated the original. I actually PAID to see the movie at the show on a date. Bad date, worse movie. (If it had been an in-flight movie, I still would have walked - yeah, old joke.)
I agree with all the remarks here about the show. The writing is top notch. The acting off the charts. I will be sad to see the show wind down, but after the last (new) episode, I am also wondering where they can go from here. Are we in Earth's past or future? Is it Earth at all? (We didn't see a Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand, did we?)

Frankly, with Journeyman cancelled and Heroes off the air, there is nothing to watch on TV.

This is the best, SF series since Babylon 5, IMO. Perhaps the best ever.

i didn't get a chance to watch the streamed feed, so i had to wait for the torrent which came out at like 11.30. then had to wait another 40 min to download. so i watched the first half and then finished it up this morning.

just unbelievable. i don't think there was any one part that wasn't done beautifully. it was an amazing ending episode that wrapped up the whole series very nicely. they touched upon the whole spectrum of emotions. it was exhilarating, sad, happy...the list can go on and on.

also, after watching the special beforehand, i paid more attention to the music and i definitely appreciated it a lot more. it just gave so much to the different scenes, especially when they're in the opera house. just beautiful.

My reaction to the finale: WTF? They basically turned the show into Noah's Ark in space.

Warning: spoiler filled rant ahead...

• So the entire population of the fleet decided to abandon technology, and by extension the society they'd been fighting to save for the whole series, and live like cavemen in small groups scattered all over the world with no way of contacting each other ever again? Right.
  • Why exactly did Adama and Tyrol decide to go live as hermits?
  • Starbuck and imaginary Six and Baltar were angels? Huh?
  • I still don't get the significance of the Baltar harem-slash-cult. They did nothing of consequence. Well, other than look hot anyway. Come to think of it, pretty much anything to do with Baltar after his trial was irritating and completely unnecessary.
  • So Cavil manages to to fight his way into the CIC with half a dozen centurians. But when he has Hera at gunpoint, why didn't one of the marines just shoot him in the head? Instead we get treated to another boring Baltar speech. I was really hoping for Adama to say "enough of this sh*t" and shoot Cavil himself.
  • How exactly was Hera the key to human survival again? It's alluded to that all of humanity descends from her. But there were 38,000 other people all over the planet...what about their descendents?
  • What happened to the Cylon colony? It didn't get blown up by that one raptor did it??
Basically the whole thing is a big, elaborate deaus ex machina. They wrote themselves into a corner so...um...God did it! One of the great things about BSG was that it had some really challenging philosophical questions and social commentary without convenient answers or heavy handed lessons. The New Caprica plotline was probably the best drama on tv. But in the finale we were treated to some moral lesson about how technology is bad and dancing Japanese robots will take over the world. Weak.

I enjoyed it as a finale. I don't think it really lived up to the standards it set for itself, but finales are extremely hard and they wrote themselves into more than a few holes. I was sort of expecting to make some leaps of faith, but maybe not quite so many as they gave.

Disliked:
  • Abandoning technology society?! Dumb.
  • Adama basically abandoning his son for no reason? Dumb.
  • The raid on the colony? Verged too much into SciFi ridiculousness
  • Hera. She was supposed to be the savior of both Cylon and human society, but human society basically disintegrated for 150,000 years and the Cylons disappeared
  • Flying the fleet into the sun (w/ Anders)? Dumb.
  • Working out a truce with the main cylons- only to kill them a few minutes later? Pointless (& Dean Stockwell's suicide was a bit commical)
  • Romo as President and Hoshi as Admiral? STFU.
  • No Athena. Considering her daughter was the lynchpin to the episode, she was pretty absent
  • Some of the scenes with the final five were a bit much (esp. Anders...)
  • Anders, I remember someone saying it is hard to play mentally challenged characters. Apparently the same applies for brain dead Cylon hybrids.
  • Tyrol, This entire character basically died after he became a cylon. He just became moody and stupid. For some reason it seemed implied to me that he was going to England, where he would build Stone Hedge. I expected a Spinal Tap reference from that point on.
  • Flashbacks? Really? You had so much material going into the finale you had to play the "God card" just to get through it, but you still thought random flashbacks were necessary?
  • Roslin, she played a clear leadership role in most of the series but was pretty absent here. Powerless almost. What was with her taking advantage of her student?

Liked:
  • Baltar, he always had one of the more complex characters and it was a shame he basically spent the last while in that randome hareem. James Callis played the part and I felt he was the one character who had a complete arc from begining to end.
  • Cinematography on Earth, very pretty.
  • Robot montage at the end. I like robots, robot montages even more
  • Tigh, the only worthwhile Final5. He got a bit sappy at points, but it felt like a proper ending for the character.
  • CGI was pretty damn impressive, I'll given them that.
  • CapricaSix, also one of the best character arcs from beginning to end. Her motivations always seemed clear and, to the extent that she was a robot, believable.
  • "Head" Baltar & Six. I think this was always one of the best parts of the series, and they worked well here. The end dialogue was a bit hokey, but satisfying nonetheless.

The Cylons didn't disappear. Humans and Cylons interbred creating "modern" Humans. Hera was mitochondrial Eve. Just the oldest first modern human.

I do think it was silly that they gave up on their tech etc. Why not just have them found the mythical city of Atlantis? And the parting of the ways was sort of anti-climactic and didn't really make all that much sense.

And what the hell was Kara?

Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore Answers Our Burning Questions

We've finally seen the epic final episode of Battlestar Galactica, and we're sure you have tons of burning questions about the choices made by executive producer and writer of the episode, Ron Moore. Luckily for us, Moore sat down with TVGuide.com to shed light on the finale's structural, spiritual and emotional elements.

TVGuide.com: The writers started deciding a year ago what would happen in the finale. How long ago did you structure the way you wanted the finale to be written — how much would be battle scenes and how much would be the resolution on the new Earth?
Ron Moore: [By the midpoint of the season] we had revealed the origins of the final five, we had found the original Earth, we had dealt with all the backstories of people... there was a laundry list of things that were out of the way. Then it became about, what do we do in the finale and we started focusing on what is the story? What is the plot? It was clear it would be a rescue mission of Hera. Then we kind of got blacked out on the details of the assault, and what was the trick, and where were they going to jump in, and who was on what assault force — and this became very frustrating and annoying.

I went home and had an epiphany in the shower and said, "It's the characters, stupid!" And it really always has been, and I went back the next day and said, "Let's forget about the plot for a moment and just trust that it will work itself out, because it always does. What do we want the characters to deal with; let's talk about the individual stories and resolutions." I just had an image of someone in their house chasing a bird from the room, I didn't know what it meant but it's an image and let's put it on the board. I think it was [David] Weddle who said he was interested in seeing where the characters had come from before we got to the end, and then we kind of came up with this structure of flashbacks to show you where they end up after seeing where they came from and that formed the backbone of what the finale was going to be.

TVGuide.com: Why did you choose to have most of the flashbacks in the last two episodes instead of spreading them out more uniformly throughout the series?
Moore: I think we used them when we thought it was appropriate, I mean, we have sort of used them here and there throughout the show, but it was more to inform something important about a character. To connect you to... how the past is influencing the future and how the persons involved... you can give a clearer picture of them. And when we were approaching the finale, I just kept feeling like, and in order to understand the end you need to understand the beginning. We kept going back to the miniseries, talking about where the show had begun, where the characters had started, and it felt like the end of the show should also be about the beginning.

TVGuide.com: Were the Lee, Zak and Kara flashbacks your way of telling us that Lee and Kara were wonderful, but were never meant to be together?
Moore: Yeah, I kind of felt that Kara and Lee had never really left a moment in time on the table. They were kind of trapped in that moment perpetually of wanting, longing, feeling but never being able to fully enjoy it or fully embrace it. They just really never left that place as characters.

TVGuide.com: What exactly is Kara at the end of the series? An angel?
Moore: I think Kara remains an ambiguous figure. Kara lived a mortal life, died and was resurrected to get them to their final destiny. Clearly she was a key player in the events that led to [the fleet's] finding a home. And, I don't know if there's any more to it beyond that. I think you could call her an angel, you could call her a demon, the second coming or the first coming, I guess, chronologically speaking. You can say that she had a certain messiah-like quality, in the classic resurrection story. There's a lot of different ways you can look at it, but the more we talked about it, the more we realized there was more in the ambiguity and mystery of it than there was in trying to give it more definition in the end.

TVGuide.com: So she is completely different than the hallucination/visions of Baltar and Six?
Moore: Yes, Kara was physically among us. Everybody saw her. She was tactile, she flew a viper, she was around. She was with us. And yet, there was a body that died on the original Earth, and Baltar did the DNA analysis and it was her body, so she was literally brought back from the dead by something — by some higher power or other power, and she came back to serve a function.

TVGuide.com: Why did Hera survive when other Cylon babies and hybrid attempts did not?
Moore: The Cylons had attempted other hybrids because we had "The Farm" episode and they were attempting in all sorts of manner to have some kind of Cylon children in whatever form... I don't know that there is any rational explanation for [Hera's] existence other than it's part of some larger plan. That she was part of the other entity that doesn't like to be called God. Whatever that is, and whatever that power is, wanted Hera alone to survive as part of the story. In the show, there was a theory among the Cylons that thing that was missing was God's true love. That was part of the explanation for why they had failed. And that was why they did the initial experiment with Helo and Sharon back on Caprica in the first season. They had tried the farms, they had tried artificial insemination and all these things but there was a theory among them that maybe it was God's true love that was missing. So they set up an experiment where Helo would believe that was the Sharon he knew and would fall in love with her naturally, and that she might come to really love him, and then maybe a child would be born. And, that's exactly what ended up happening.

TVGuide.com: Hera is a fascinating character because of her power. She saved Roslin for a while by giving her blood, but was the connection between the two more than blood- deep?
Moore: Yep, it was definitely a spiritual connection. And, the spiritual component of the show was just there from the beginning. It was always a part of the show. There's a certainly a section of science fiction fandom that has always had a problem with that. They resolutely didn't want supernatural, mystical or divine presence in the show whatsoever, and were sort of put off by that, or at least had trouble accepting that. But I just thought that was part and parcel of what we did. It was our take on this part of this particular universe, and to me, it was as important in the end as it was in the beginning. It would have been strange to make it all scientifically rational at the end and that it had no other purpose or meaning, because that was sort of the premise from which we began.

Back