News   Apr 24, 2024
 954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

I'd say that if their plan came to fruition, it is not about reactivating lines without tracks, but keeping what we have.

Here is a Simcoe County Committee of the Whole item that was considered and passed today:

That the Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY) corridor be protected for potential future higher order transit use through retaining a contiguous corridor and right of way; and That staff work with Metrolinx, the Ministry of Transportation, and other levels of government to examine long term higher order transportation needs of the BCRY corridor; That initial development of the BCRY corridor proceed on the basis of non-motorized uses until a Master Trails Strategy and Plan is completed, subject to maintenance of the existing 5 km snowmobile trail, as generally outlined in the subject Item.

The report goes on to discuss building setbacks from the corridor, signs to show the corridor may be reactivated, and retaining track where possible.

Main report: https://simcoe.civicweb.net/documen...l.pdf?handle=1C5B3CA48B5C45238D3ECAD6260B3DAD

Other related item: https://simcoe.civicweb.net/documen...edule 2.pdf?handle=20E5640548EF48FA8D3DDBEB8D

Here is a Simcoe County Committee of the Whole item that was considered and passed today:

The report goes on to discuss building setbacks from the corridor, signs to show the corridor may be reactivated, and retaining track where possible.

Main report: https://simcoe.civicweb.net/document/108607/CCW 2022-110 BCRY Trail.pdf?handle=1C5B3CA48B5C45238D3ECAD6260B3DAD

Other related item: https://simcoe.civicweb.net/document/108589/CCW 2022-110 Schedule 2.pdf?handle=20E5640548EF48FA8D3DDBEB8D
This is excellent. Great to see Simcoe wanting to actively work with Metrolinx to use this corridor for what it was intended for: rail. It is super straight with one gentle curve, so I imagine GO Trains could travel pretty fast one day!

It's clear this won't be reactivated in my lifetime, so I wouldn't mind seeing a rail trail get on with construction to hold its place for now

It's clear this won't be reactivated in my lifetime, so I wouldn't mind seeing a rail trail get on with construction to hold its place for now
Well a rail trail in the near term is the plan. They’re just building it in a way so the corridor can be used for trains too in the future. Smart and forward thinking planning.

Unless you are near death, I wouldn't be so sure. I'll bet that within the 2030s, passenger service returns.
Yeah, I agree.
If you look at the official plan for the Township of Clearview, you will see lots of areas zoned for growth in Stayner, New Lowell, Nottawa/Batteaux, and Creemore. Not to mention the tremendous growth of Collingwood that has happened and is continuing. Angus will also grow a lot too.

There’s definitely merit to the idea of reactivation in the near future. Collingwood alone is supposed to double in population over the next just under 20 years. Same with Barrie. Not to mention with tourism being the biggest industry in the area having more people and thus potential visitors being able to get there without a personal vehicle is definitely a good thing for the local economy

There’s definitely merit to the idea of reactivation in the near future. Collingwood alone is supposed to double in population over the next just under 20 years. Same with Barrie. Not to mention with tourism being the biggest industry in the area having more people and thus potential visitors being able to get there without a personal vehicle is definitely a good thing for the local economy
I see it much like the GO to Niagara Falls. At first, it will be more like a tourist train and less for commuting. That will change over time as demand for better housing keeps increasing.

I see it much like the GO to Niagara Falls. At first, it will be more like a tourist train and less for commuting. That will change over time as demand for better housing keeps increasing.
I think you're underestimating how quickly growth is coming to Simcoe County. Barrie, Bradford, and Alliston are filling out fast, and there's no way Innisfil can soak up all of the demand. By the time the rails are back in place in Essa and beyond, there will be a decently-sized commuter base in Collingwood, Stayner, Angus etc. that will be commuting not just to Toronto, but also to Barrie and York Region. Simcoe has aggressive growth targets, which is why it's smart to be planning for a GO extension already. They may be able to electrify it from day one.

I think you're underestimating how quickly growth is coming to Simcoe County. Barrie, Bradford, and Alliston are filling out fast, and there's no way Innisfil can soak up all of the demand. By the time the rails are back in place in Essa and beyond, there will be a decently-sized commuter base in Collingwood, Stayner, Angus etc. that will be commuting not just to Toronto, but also to Barrie and York Region. Simcoe has aggressive growth targets, which is why it's smart to be planning for a GO extension already. They may be able to electrify it from day one.

I am not underestimating it. I am trying to show that even modest growth that has been happening along the line north, if it were to continue, this line will beneeded sooner than most want to believe. I am wait to see if GO buses go to places like Orillia and Midland by the early 2030s. My guess would be yes.

I am not underestimating it. I am trying to show that even modest growth that has been happening along the line north, if it were to continue, this line will beneeded sooner than most want to believe. I am wait to see if GO buses go to places like Orillia and Midland by the early 2030s. My guess would be yes.
I think the part of the Newmarket SUB to Orillia has been re-developed and the ROW is not in tact. You would need to find an alternate path.

Bus service 7 days a week to Collingwood would be a start.

Rail trails are train killers. It creates a NIMBY situation where people get accustomed to the trail, and will protest a train replacing the trail.

There is no "interim" beautification in our nimbys-come-first-centric policy making these days. Once a trail, always a trail.

Back