News   Apr 16, 2024
 639     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 461     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 823     1 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

The problem with leaving the ties is that as they rot, they will create voids under the surface that will cause the surface to become uneven. Best Idea is to simply pull the ties and ballast up and put down something else.
Fair enough, but probably don't expect it for $4.7Mn. Everything they take up, except the steel, will likely have to be considered hazardous. Once they are out of the air, the ties will decompose very, very slowly. I see they are planning to top the bed with 6" of screenings so it will require some level of regular grading anyway.

Hi folks - I am wondering if I could use this forum’s collective knowledge. I seem to recall an obscure article that once mentioned the very preliminary possibility of VIA Rail service to Collingwood. Maybe from the era of when David Collenette was the Federal Transport Minister (late 90s to early 2000s). I am sure I’ve read this somewhere, and it was not more than a sentence. I’ve boiled the ocean trying to find it. Anyone know about this by chance? Thanks in advance.

Hi folks - I am wondering if I could use this forum’s collective knowledge. I seem to recall an obscure article that once mentioned the very preliminary possibility of VIA Rail service to Collingwood. Maybe from the era of when David Collenette was the Federal Transport Minister (late 90s to early 2000s). I am sure I’ve read this somewhere, and it was not more than a sentence. I’ve boiled the ocean trying to find it. Anyone know about this by chance? Thanks in advance.

Not sure of the specifics, but some kind of passenger service comes up now and then...

Somewhere up this thread I think I mentioned the round I was involved with.

I recall reading somewhere just recently that Collingwood is the fastest growing city in all of Canada right now. Something to keep in mind with regards to re-introducing passenger rail...

Wouldn't it make sense to extend the Barrie GO line?

Barrie Examiner Aug 16th, 2000
Transport Minister says there's steam behind bringing rail to Barrie

The transport minister has asked VIA Rail to examine the possibility of bringing some sort of passenger service here to complement existing GO Train services, which only go as far as Bradford. He expects to hear back by Christmas.
Relevant excerpt:
"The whole point is that the national passenger rail service... is becoming a commuter service" in Montreal and Southern Ontario, he said.

A train, he said, could travel to Barrie and continue on the track to Collingwood and Owen Sound.

Orillia residents would have to make their own way to Barrie to catch a train here.

An interesting detail from this old Toronto Star article (archived via Transit Toronto): https://transittoronto.ca/archives/data/200106091037.shtml "In addition, Collenette is expected to reveal that the federal government hopes to restore commuter rail service to Peterborough and Barrie. As a bonus for skiers, the new Barrie train, if approved, would include winter service to Collingwood" Unfortunately, it appears as if it was not approved

An interesting detail from this old Toronto Star article (archived via Transit Toronto): https://transittoronto.ca/archives/data/200106091037.shtml "In addition, Collenette is expected to reveal that the federal government hopes to restore commuter rail service to Peterborough and Barrie. As a bonus for skiers, the new Barrie train, if approved, would include winter service to Collingwood" Unfortunately, it appears as if it was not approved
Peterborough will happen if HFR is built. Should be relatively easy.

There's an article from the now defunct Collingwood Enterprise-Banner from June 15th 2001 that's dedicated to the proposed VIA train to Collingwood. Below are relevant clippings from the article:

Passenger train idea not totally on track

A day after federal Transport Minister David Collenette announced that VIA Rail was studying demand and capital requirements to restore rail service to Barrie -- and, by extension, a weekend excursion train during the ski season to Collingwood -- Collingwood's mayor says the town is `tapped out' if it comes to the municipality putting a great deal of money into the project.

"The history (of railways) in this country is that it's been the federal government's jurisdiction, and I would hope the federal government would continue to show leadership in this area," Geddes said. "Everyone wants us (municipalities) to come to the table, but we want to see the other levels of government to take the leadership role that history has given them.

Doug Peters, general manager for Cando Contracting -- the firm that operates the Barrie-Collingwood Railway on behalf of the municipalities -- indicated it would require "significant investment" to bring the track up to an appropriate level to allow passenger traffic.

The existing rail line between Newmarket and Barrie, the route that VIA would be using if it indeed does restore passenger service, is considered a `Class 3' line, Peters said, meaning that the rail is of a weight that would allow trains of up to 100 kilometres per hour.

The weight of the existing rail line between Barrie and Collingwood restricts trains to a maximum speed of 16 kilometres per hour. The local line is considered a `Class 1', and is restricted to freight only.

Peters said it would be possible to upgrade the track to allow passenger trains and speeds of up to 50 kilometres an hour, but "that would still be significant." There would also have to be an investment in appropriate signaling.

Unfortunately, like the previous article I posted, there's no online version of the article; they were just library finds.

I recall reading somewhere just recently that Collingwood is the fastest growing city in all of Canada right now. Something to keep in mind with regards to re-introducing passenger rail...
Hmm ... census seems to say it grew by about 3k from 21.8 to 24.8 thousand - 14%

Doesn't even make the top 25 - https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2021/as-sa/98-200-x/2021001/98-200-x2021001-eng.cfm

Fastest growth is in East Gwilllimbury.

Though looks like the nearby "town" of Blue Mountains has 34% growth from 7 thousand to 9 thousand! 😁

There's bigger no-longer serviced places, that are adding more people than that every year.

What about St. Thomas - which grew 9% from 41.8 to 45.7 thousand? Or Sherbrooke that grew 8% from 140 to 151 thousand?

Last edited:
The BCRY shows up in the Ontario Liberal Party enviro/transit platform:

E6F57277-3EB5-4735-A84E-D1808D3827F6.jpeg

Back