News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

Well everyone's saying the BOC will drop rates next year. And the Feds continue pumping infinite immigration into the country. Plus the commercial banks are doing everything they can to help people avoid distressed sales. I don't see affordability improving at all in the near to medium term given these trends.

The construction of new homes in Ontario is the highest-taxed sector in terms of production taxes.

• Developer margin (after tax) 10%
• Construction workers (after tax) 17%
• Value of Land and materials 23%
• Government gets 31%
good listen

IMG_20230508_212325.jpg

A "normal house" in the GTA is no longer a detached or semi-detached house. There are only a few hundred thousand of them, and they're not building any more of them in good areas. A normal house is going to be an apartment going forward.

The construction of new homes in Ontario is the highest-taxed sector in terms of production taxes.

• Developer margin (after tax) 10%
• Construction workers (after tax) 17%
• Value of Land and materials 23%
• Government gets 31%
good listen
I am coming around to the idea that we should just be taxing land, and not new development.

I am coming around to the idea that we should just be taxing land, and not new development.
💡increase property tax by a very larger % for investment condos, detached houses, townhomes etc... and lower taxes on purpose built rental appartment buildings, no real estate investor would ever think of buying a condo or house if the property tax was 5 times higher then primary residence lol...

💡increase property tax by a very larger % for investment condos, detached houses, townhomes etc... and lower taxes on purpose built rental appartment buildings, no real estate investor would ever think of buying a condo or house if the property tax was 5 times higher then primary residence lol...
You might be okay for any income-generating property but different tax rates for different versions of principle residences might run afoul of the Charter.

Taxing denser forms punitively and giving wealthiest homeowners a tax break seems like exactly the opposite of a good idea if we're trying to promote affordability.

You might be okay for any income-generating property but different tax rates for different versions of principle residences might run afoul of the Charter.
Don't we already tax multi-unit residential more heavily?

Don't we already tax multi-unit residential more heavily?
To be quite honest I don't fully understand how mil rates are applied to assessed values and within similar zoning classes. I guess my point was it might not be considered equitable to tax a $2Mn SFH higher than a $2Mn penthouse condo (assessed values), both used as principle residences, simply because one includes its own plot of land and you don't need an elevator to get to.

no all primary residence tax rates would be the same , nothing would change if you live in the unit , it only changes once you turn it into a investment property
I would make it a nightmare for investors hahaha... if you want to invest in real estate , 1) go buy or build a purpose built rental apartment building , 2)Go invest in a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust)

Back