News   Mar 28, 2024
 197     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 208     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 268     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

What generally happens to single family detached properties around Yonge street new high rise buildings and on Sheppard as well? Do they usually appreciate or depreciate in value?
Is there a risk of getting into land assembly and hence people don't want to buy those properties?
sometimes things don't work out well for those that don't sell those houses around high rise buildings , just watch this

My parents were both around 50 when they paid the house off 20 years ago. The house is now worth 1,9 million as of 2022. Crazy, it was built as a middle class starter home in the 1960s.
It's really quite disturbing how wealthy anyone has become simply by buying real estate in Toronto prior to seven or eight years ago.

@Admiral Beez It's called "extend and pretend." The banks are allowing longer amortizations to avoid the bubble popping; too many distressed sales lower prices. At the same time, the Feds released Guidance in their budget encouraging FRFIs to help "keep Canadians in their homes." Everyone now has a perverse incentive to keep things going.

@Samwan low interest rates and excessive immigration have driven prices upward. Zoning, politics and construction costs also played a role.

Unless the government is expropriating you, nobody can force you to be part of an assembly. The property is yours to sell or hold. This results in humorous situations where a 1-2 story detached house has massive towers right next to it. There should be a few examples of houses like this near Yonge and Eglinton and other newly densifying areas.

Having a tower right next to your house likely makes it less appealing to someone who wants the light and space which come with a detached. It also loses its value in developers' eyes if existing towers prevent redevelopment.

However, we've pumped so much money into the economy, and continue pumping so many people into the country, that those values likely aren't likely to drop in the near term.

@gabe I once looked into the numbers behind this. If I remember correctly, the average price to income ratio in the 60s was 4-5. The average industrial job paid $4-5,000 a year. New detacheds in what's today the outer 416 were going for $20,000.

Today, that ratio is 27: $1.8m for the average detached versus $65,000 average individual Toronto income. And the old 5x ratio doesn't get you even a studio anywhere in the 416.

Last edited:
@Admiral Beez It's called "extend and pretend." The banks are allowing longer amortizations to avoid the bubble popping; too many distressed sales lower prices. At the same time, the Feds released Guidance in their budget encouraging FRFIs to help "keep Canadians in their homes." Everyone now has a perverse incentive to keep things going.

@Samwan low interest rates and excessive immigration have driven prices upward. Zoning, politics and construction costs also played a role.

Unless the government is expropriating you, nobody can force you to be part of an assembly. The property is yours to sell or hold. This results in humorous situations where a 1-2 story detached house has massive towers right next to it. There should be a few examples of houses like this near Yonge and Eglinton and other newly densifying areas.

Having a tower right next to your house likely makes it less appealing to someone who wants the light and space which come with a detached. It also loses its value in developers' eyes if existing towers prevent redevelopment.

However, we've pumped so much money into the economy, and continue pumping so many people into the country, that those values likely aren't likely to drop in the near term.

@gabe I once looked into the numbers behind this. If I remember correctly, the average price to income ratio in the 60s was 4-5. The average industrial job paid $4-5,000 a year. New detacheds in what's today the outer 416 were going for $20,000.

Today, that ratio is 27: $1.8m for the average detached versus $65,000 average individual Toronto income. And the old 5x ratio doesn't get you even a studio anywhere in the 416.
To be fair, it's never been reasonable for single detached homes in a major metropolis to be attainable to the masses. Nor should they be, unless of course you want your city to look like Houston.

I agree with your larger point though. The province and feds seem determined to prop up an increasingly inflated real estate industry to the detriment of the economy and society as a whole.

💡they just stopped building rental buildings... and now people are living like groundhogs in basements with tiny windows lol...
Screenshot_20230427-091309.jpg

To be fair, it's never been reasonable for single detached homes in a major metropolis to be attainable to the masses.

Sure it has. "Never" is such an absolute word. My parents bought a detached home in North York in the 1950s on a single, government income (and government wages weren't all that great back then). For that matter, every single relative that I can think of who lived in Toronto lived in a detached home.
Alright, I have to say it's not fair that only the rich get to live in nice homes while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet.
Life is unfair, unless you lean to the "from each according to his ability; to each according to his needs" social concept. One website says there are over 846,000 detached houses in Toronto. Are they all "the rich"?

I've owned several SFHs, just not in Toronto.

I think OP's point was that one must be essentially rich these days to afford a detached house whereas before it used to be well within reach for most of the middle class (even the lower middle class). In fact, the first part of your post suggests exactly that.

The average detached house across the city is $1.8m. That suggests a down payment of 360k (about 2.5 times the average down people make); and an annual income of 400k (4 times the average household) to qualify for that mortgage.

Sure it has. "Never" is such an absolute word. My parents bought a detached home in North York in the 1950s on a single, government income (and government wages weren't all that great back then). For that matter, every single relative that I can think of who lived in Toronto lived in a detached home.
It's something that our society tried to normalize in the last century but it was never sustainable or reasonable in the long run. We'd have to have much lower density and a lot more sprawl for that to work, and even then it doesn't pay for itself. Toronto was also a much smaller city then.

The norm for cities is for most of the population to live in some form of apartment. The dream of the middle class all having detached houses was never realistic.

Most people became rich by owning a SFH rather than being rich before buying one, but yeah, anyone who owns one in Toronto is rich.
I don't consider owning a SFH to be rich. Unless you sell it or use it for collateral to incur debt you can't realize any of that potential richness. It's akin to me saying, anyone with good health is rich because they're walking around with a million dollars or more in organs, https://www.seeker.com/how-much-are-your-body-parts-worth-1792475763.html. Like your home, you need those organs, even that potentially surplus 2nd kidney, valued in the US at $262,000.

What I consider to be rich are those with over $1 million (after subtracting all debt) in investments, property (excluding their own primary residence), cash and capital outside of the potential value of their home. I own my home, and could presumably sell it for over $1 million and move into something smaller (with three bedrooms and parking), but after transfer fees, taxes and realtor commissions I wouldn't find anything in the city for under $800k all in. So, really, I may have $200-$300k in realized wealth from the sale, that's hardly rich.

Last edited:
Almost anyone who bought a house in Toronto more than 8-10 years ago has a net worth of over a million dollars. Unless they got a line of credit and spent it, which still makes them rich.

Back