News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 618     0 

Americans flee big cities, have longer commutes

^Thanks for explanantion. My original comment about being confused was tongue in cheek. I completely understand how the population increase is originating. Yes, people do generalize on this forum, just as you did in your last sentence. It is not wrong: it is just a general statement.

I remember hearing/reading some years ago that something like 40,000 people commute from K/W to Toronto each day. I can't remember where, of course. Seems crazy high.

I believe it. The traffic on the 7/8 Highway between the 401 and KW is atrocious during rush hour.

I remember hearing/reading some years ago that something like 40,000 people commute from K/W to Toronto each day. I can't remember where, of course. Seems crazy high.

Thats a number I remember from an article a few years ago too. I also remember an article that mentioned there were about 8000 people or so who specifically commuted right into the core of Toronto on a daily basis. I think that article in question was actually discussing the potential for VIA or GO trains to be used for commuters.

Toronto Toronto, or GTA Toronto? (i.e. commuting to Meadowvale seems more the K-W speed than commuting to the downtown core...)

offset more of the gains due to contruction then one would think. On these types of forums people tend to vastly overestimate population numbers and trends based on construction cranes (aka all those shiny towers). But if you think about it the very trends that lead to construction in an area also lead to de-population of the existing housing stock.

I dissagree. I think the population increase in the inner city is real and not some fake trend. The inner city grew in pop by 3% in the last census, and the downtown core had an even higher pop growht then that, equal to the 905 suburbs a city report says.
Also the inner city neighbourhoods are seeing families again. I heard some inner city schools are crowded now due to the fact that many of the old time residents have died off and new families are replacing these seniors who lived in the homes before. My sisters live in Riverdale and I see tons of kids. The only difference is that the families coming into the inner city are white and we are not seeing the diversity of nationalities that actually makes up Toronto.
Incomes are also rising. Infact the inner city is the only area of Toronto to see incomes rising.

But I think the inner city is seeing a healthy repopulation of the family neighbourhoods as new families are moving in.

Its the inner burbs we gotta worry about. Incomes are dropping, etc. I think it has to do with the immigration and new immigrants having lower incomes then established people who are moving into the inner city and 905 suburbs.
Actually Markham is the only 905 region to also see incomes declining because so many new immigrants are moving there also.

The real issue for us is going to be the suburbs now. People are not fleeing the inner city anymore. But people are leaving the older suburbs for newer places like Aurora.
Hell even Missisauga is seeing many established families move out to newer further out suburbs. I know more then one family who has moved out of Mississauga because it was not "good enough" anymore.
The issue to going to be to stop flight from the suburbs.
I don't care what you guys may say. I know you are against the suburbs. But I see many areas in our older suburbs that are great places, and it would be sad to see them decline into ghettos.

Back