1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

'Absolute bedlam' on Pearson's busiest day

G

gabe

I drove my sister to the airport today, what a mess!!! word of advise don't travel by air unless its an last resort :mad:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/743081---absolute-bedlam-on-pearson-s-busiest-day
Travellers stewing in huge lineups at Pearson International Airport are warning of "absolute bedlam" as heightened security has dramatically slowed down travel on the airport's busiest day.

Jack Gardiner waited in line for hours in Terminal One only to find his family's Air Canada flight to New York was cancelled. Rather than rebook him, airline staff handed him a 1-800 toll free number and told him to do it himself.

"It's absolute bedlam in here," Gardiner said. "And in true Canadian fashion, no one is coming and telling you what's going on, whose doing what, what your expectations
are.

"We're going to go home and drive. We'll take our chances that way."

The Terminal 1 departure area looks like a disaster-relief holding pen, with people sitting on suitcases or sleeping on the floor as they wait in line to get to the gates.

Transport Canada and the U.S. Transport Security Administration issued new measures for Canada-U.S. flights - including a limit of one carry-on bag and more rigorous passenger screening - in the wake of the failed Christmas Day terrorist attack on a Northwest Airlines flight to Detroit.

A 23-year-old Nigerian man who claimed to have Al Qaeda ties was charged Saturday with trying to destroy the plane by igniting an explosive substance hidden in his pants. Authorities learned his father had warned U.S. officials of concerns about his son's religious beliefs.

The snaking line in Terminal 1 is so long it has lost its shape, folding back onto itself and looping around the Air Canada counter.

"It's not a good scene here. We've moved forward eight feet in 45 minutes," said Star reporter Tracey Tyler this morning, speaking on the phone from the U.S. Customs line.

"The line is winding around - it's almost the length of the terminal."

Tyler's flight was supposed to leave for Tampa Bay, Fla., at 11:15 a.m. At 3 p.m., Tyler was still stuck in the U.S. customs line. She said a sister trying to fly out of Chicago was also caught in delays and the planned family get-together in Florida seemed doomed.

Slowing down things at Pearson were staff hand-checking carry-on bags, people with more than one having to repack bags to be stowed and, for WestJet passengers, being patted-down as a security precaution.

The checks will remain in place until Dec. 30, at which point, WestJet will re-evaluate its position based on decisions made by Transport Canada and the U.S. Transport Security Administration.

"I think that what most people would say that it is most unfortunate that one man has caused so much damage," said Kathryn Gamble, one of the thousands waiting at Pearson. She was considering cancelling her family ski trip to Denver, Colorado.

"The U.S. customs should take a more reasonable approach to security."

Brad Cicero, a spokesperson for Porter Airlines said there has been a spike in bookings with Porter Airlines.

"We've had dozens of booking today for flights that are departing to the U.S. today and tomorrow. Whether this has anything to do with the delays at Pearson, it's hard to say, but we have noticed an increase."

But most passengers waiting in Terminal 1 appeared frustrated but calm.

Allan and Gillian Bowditch arrived three hours before their flight to Wales, U.K., where they plan to meet their 36-year-old son, who is flying there from Melbourne, Australia, for two days to tell their Welsh relatives he is expecting his first child.

With the giant lines, they fear they will miss their son altogether.

It seems to be a great deal of overkill, Allan Bowditch said, adding he hasn't seen anything like it in 40 years of flying.

"I think everybody appreciates there needs to be extra security, but not to the point where you grind the whole system to paralysis."

Other travellers were advising people to bring food to eat in the long lineups. Just before noon, airport staff began handing out water bottles to waiting travellers.

Mozaik's Café in Terminal 1 was running out of food and drinks as travellers in unexpectedly long lines raided the shelves. Empty trays and baskets sat on the counter; half the shelves in the fridge were empty.

Behind the counter, Jassi Atwal said around 11:30 a.m. that she had already called her manager four or five times to restock.

"It's so crazy," Atwal said. "It's so hard over here - there's nothing, it's all gone. We're running out of money, running out of food."

After nearly 5 hours of waiting with her husband, Neil Blacklock, to clear U.S. customs, Fran Richardson, took some needle and some yellow yarn out of her suitcase and started to crochet.

"I said to Neil I have to do something," who was working on a shawl for a church project.

The couple, who had a quick trip from downtown Toronto, by limo before dawn, were heading to Fort Lauderdale to catch an eastern Caribbean cruise on Monday. In past years, they had booked a flight the same day they were scheduled to board a cruise ship but had problems making the connection. So this time, they decided to fly south one day in advance.

Was there any chance Richardson would finish crocheting her shawl before finally boarding the plane?

"I hope not," she said. "Please no. I really want to get to fly today."

Trish Kale, a spokesperson for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority said Sunday that there were significant delays, mostly for passengers flying to the U.S.

"It would help if passengers were familiar with the new regulations," she said, referring to passengers who are allowed to bring only one carry-on baggage instead of the previous two bags. "We have some delays because passengers come to the airport and they don't know that so then they're shuffling things around."

More than 120 flights were listed as cancelled as of mid-afternoon Sunday, but that is less than 12 per cent of the total daily flights at Pearson. Krale said the GTAA was not responsible for flight cancellations, and would not say if the cancellations were due to the newly enforced security measures.

Shortly before 2:30 p.m., Tyler who was waiting in the customs line at the airport said Air Canada officials announced that 20 flights had been cancelled, although no reason had been given. Flights leaving for Houston, Pittsburg, Newark, New York, Washington, Chicago, Boston and Nashville amongst others has been cancelled.

She said officials told passengers from the cancelled flights to go home and rebook their flights online.

Air Canada could not be reached for comment.

New rules imposed by the U.S. also limit travellers' movements during a flight. During the final hour of flight, passengers must remain seated and will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage or have personal belongings on their laps.

The travel advisory on Air Canada's website, said the new security measures that go into effect Sunday will be continued indefinitely until further notice. The airline's chief operating officer said in a statement the "temporary carry-on policy will assist security officers at the gate in screening customers more quickly and thereby minimize delays for passengers to the extent possible."

In light of the measures, Air Canada says it will rebook passengers, at no charge, who miss flight connections because of the delays.

WestJet states on its website that it will be will be waiving excess baggage fees for all flights to the United States until Dec 30. The normal fee is $75 per bag.

At the Toronto island airport, from which Porter Airlines flies to U.S. destinations including Boston and Chicago, there are no delays, an airport spokesperson said.

This really emphasizes the need for a shared border/perimeter security/Euro-style customs union between Canada and the US.

This security-as-theatre stuff needs to stop. It's embarrassing. One idiot - about whom the NSA and other various intelligence/security agencies should have been well aware - lights his genitals on fire and suddenly grandma needs to put her knitting away for the last hour of every flight.

If we define terrorists as those who seek to evoke shared feelings of terror leading to panic and irrational acts then damn if the entire western world isn't losing the War on Terror big-time.

This really emphasizes the need for a shared border/perimeter security/Euro-style customs union between Canada and the US.

What? Exact opposite is implied!

The rules are enforced to all flights with a US destination including ones starting at a US source like Chicago.

By having a merged border you would be impacting Toronto to Vancouver flights and London to Toronto flights; both of which are mercifully doing just fine.

This security-as-theatre stuff needs to stop. It's embarrassing. One idiot - about whom the NSA and other various intelligence/security agencies should have been well aware - lights his genitals on fire and suddenly grandma needs to put her knitting away for the last hour of every flight.

It is somewhat amazing how successful this last attack was. A single individual managed to cause the US to expend $Billions in time/resources due to overreaction. Not very many people have a value of $Billions to their life; but that person did.

What? Exact opposite is implied!

The rules are enforced to all flights with a US destination including ones starting at a US source like Chicago.

By having a merged border you would be impacting Toronto to Vancouver flights and London to Toronto flights; both of which are mercifully doing just fine.

Oh okay. I stand corrected.

That said, I still believe in a customs union. That's one thing Europe does that we should emulate.

Nah, you're wrong about that, too.

Oh okay. I stand corrected.

That said, I still believe in a customs union. That's one thing Europe does that we should emulate.

We have a customs union. It's called NAFTA. Since we sell 70%+ of our exports to the US, who cares if they want to tax Belarus less than we do?

If you mean currency union, we can't have that without a labour market that's approximately equal in benefits and able to cross the border unimpeded, and that's sure as heck not going to happen. So, don't worry about that happening, either.

Last edited:
We have a customs union. It's called NAFTA. Since we sell 70%+ of our exports to the US, who cares if they want to tax Belarus less than we do?

If you mean currency union, we can't have do that without a labour market that's approximately equal in benefits and able to cross the border unimpeded, and that's sure as heck not going to happen. So, don't worry about that happening, either.

What I mean is North America should have it's version of the Schengen Agreement. I.e. take down the borders between Canada, Mexico and the United States. Crossing the US-Canada border should be no more difficult than crossing the Germany-Austria border. Anything that impedes cross-border flow more than Germany-Austria crossing is unacceptable in my view, no ifs, ands or buts.

As if the US would remove any barriers on its southern border. Over Lou Dobbs' grave. Never mind there's enough opposition to free movement of Canadians - how many Americans think the hijackers came from Canada to this day?

If we can't even get favourable exceptions to "Buy America" under NAFTA, with a Democratic administration, forget it. And I'm okay with that.

What I mean is North America should have it's version of the Schengen Agreement. I.e. take down the borders between Canada, Mexico and the United States. Crossing the US-Canada border should be no more difficult than crossing the Germany-Austria border. Anything that impedes cross-border flow more than Germany-Austria crossing is unacceptable in my view, no ifs, ands or buts.
Canada and the US would be okay, but I could never see the US loosening any borders with Mexico. I could see loose borders between Canada and Latin America, but there's a big inconvenience in a lack of borders with those countries. In reality, the US has put itself in a position that it feels quite vulnerable, and I don't think a free Canada-US border is possible.

Our own version of the Shengen Agreement would be pointless and counterproductive to Canada. Due to security concerns, the Americans would never allow it unless we merged our security policies and probably immigration, foreign policy, monetary policy, etc. We'd be giving up a huge amount of soverignty to Washington. The only reason it works in Europe is because there's no single dominant power.

Our own version of the Shengen Agreement would be pointless and counterproductive to Canada. Due to security concerns, the Americans would never allow it unless we merged our security policies and probably immigration, foreign policy, monetary policy, etc. We'd be giving up a huge amount of soverignty to Washington. The only reason it works in Europe is because there's no single dominant power.

I grow tired of hearing that argument. I think it's a red herring, and I've never heard of the United States demanding we cede immigration, foreign policy and monetary policy (monetary policy? really?) so that we can have a common border.

In fact, as evidenced by Schengen, none of those are required. E.g. a country in which I hold citizenship, Poland, is part of the EU and Schengen, but it does not have the Euro. So monetary policy has nothing to do with it. Again, Poland's foreign policy is its own. Poland was a big supporter of the United States after 9/11 and has supported the war effort in Iraq with troops (not to say the citizens were happy about it though).

Regardless, if Canada cared about its economy, it'd do all it could to implement a Schengen-type agreement here, with at least the US and Canada, and eventually Mexico (I know the US would never agree to Mexico right now). But I think the perimeter security would really work. It's not like Canada has many ports of arrival for internationals. And they're pretty much all airports. So it'd be even more secure than Schengen to begin with. It's not like you can walk to Canada from anywhere other than the United States to begin with.

I suggest people read up on Schengen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement to get a better grasp of what it means for the countries to which have adopted it (including non-European Union countries).

ah jeez. I hope this doesn't screw with my flight back to Toronto, I only have a 40 min window to connect in Thunder Bay.

As for border harmonization, I'm happy with how it's being run now. The idea that anyone yahoo can enter Canada without the level of security we have now is unsettling.

Train travel starting to look better, even if it is not high speed. Especially if one can go from downtown to downtown, like Toronto to Montréal. Except for the cities with suburban train stations, like Kingston.

I grow tired of hearing that argument. I think it's a red herring, and I've never heard of the United States demanding we cede immigration, foreign policy and monetary policy (monetary policy? really?) so that we can have a common border.

In fact, as evidenced by Schengen, none of those are required. E.g. a country in which I hold citizenship, Poland, is part of the EU and Schengen, but it does not have the Euro. So monetary policy has nothing to do with it. Again, Poland's foreign policy is its own. Poland was a big supporter of the United States after 9/11 and has supported the war effort in Iraq with troops (not to say the citizens were happy about it though).

Regardless, if Canada cared about its economy, it'd do all it could to implement a Schengen-type agreement here, with at least the US and Canada, and eventually Mexico (I know the US would never agree to Mexico right now). But I think the perimeter security would really work. It's not like Canada has many ports of arrival for internationals. And they're pretty much all airports. So it'd be even more secure than Schengen to begin with. It's not like you can walk to Canada from anywhere other than the United States to begin with.

I suggest people read up on Schengen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement to get a better grasp of what it means for the countries to which have adopted it (including non-European Union countries).
You can grow tired of the argument all you want, but it's still a valid piont. There's a big difference between a country giving up sovereignty to a collection of medium sized powers that offset each other, and to the most powerful superpower on the planet. You've never heard about the US demanding that we give up certain things because a common border has never been seriously discussed by our leaders. But monetary policy is one thing people have suggested be merged, especially before 9/11. As for the other policies, there's already pressure from Washington to change all kinds of our laws, from immigration to prison sentencing to drug laws. You really don't think that would get more intense if we opened up our borders? You think they'd make concessions for us like increasing gun control? The EU is a good system for Europe, but there are good reasons it hasn't happened anywhere else.

As rbt has already pointed out, the bedlam at Pearson would have been worse if our borders were open. I doubt very much that an open border would be good for the economy. It would make our economy even more tied to theirs, which would have made this recession even worse. We should be getting less reliant on the United States, not more, and that's exactly what's been happening the last few years.

The United States will never open up the border with Mexico. The differences between the two economies are simply too great. The only way that could possibly happen is if Mexico got a handle on its crime problem and developed its economy to the point where it's as rich as the US or Canada. That's not happening anytime soon.

Last edited:

Back