News   Mar 28, 2024
 87     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Abandoned or neglected buildings in Toronto

I have to include this abandoned place in Cabbagetown.

So far, I found this:

From here: https://seeclickfix.com/watchers/13922-cabbagetown?locale=el&page=12

Decaying Abandoned buliding Open

18 Gifford Stree Toronto, Ontario - Toronto
This apartment building located at18 Gifford street and facing into Corn Chamomile Lane in Cabbagetown has been vacant since a fire wreaked havoc about 13 years ago and the owner was denied a new permit. The windows have never been boarded up and are caving in, the mortar has all fallen out of the top 10 feet of the Main 40 foot tall chimney backing into my backyard and I am fearful that during a good wind storm that it will topple down and harm someone or cause property damage. Rats and Raccoons have spiked and they are coming in and out of there like crazy, I called the city about 8 years ago and an inspector came out and investigated and met with me and told me that for sure the estate (the owner had died and the property was in probate in ASIA) should have had it boarded up as well because prostitution and drug dealing was occurring in the building entrance on Corn Chamomile lane. Nothing occurred after that and my calls to the city were not returned. My neighbour ended up buying boards and blocking the building alcove himself to prevent the criminal activity that was congregating there. A month ago I lodged another complaint using 311 and was advised that I would get a call after 7 days from the city. I never did, soI called 311 back and they gave me the file # 266-2281 and the name of the investigator : Jaan Peter Sepp 416.397.7262. My voicemail to him 2 weeks ago has not been returned....Please help get us answers to this13 year old plus problem.

20/05/2014

I do wonder how many of these neglected buildings have development plans awaiting capitalization, or who are owned by landlords waiting for developers to assemble land?

Development can be extremely complex and risky at times, especially for smaller developers.

For instance, 6 Walmer I can see a small-scale developer who owns the land but who hasn't submitted a development proposal yet for the site due to various reasons.

A land transfer deed obtained by the Star, which includes 6, 8 and 10 Walmer Rd., appears to show that a company called New Style Construction Ltd. transferred ownership to NSCL Investments Ltd. in 1988.

Over the span of about one week, the Star made three attempts to reach president Michael Naiberg for comment by phone, then delivered a detailed set of questions to a house associated with his name. On Monday, a man who answered the phone declined to comment.

Same thing for the Peacock Hotel, whose owners might simply lack the money to restore the building (considering its state beforehand), or with 467 Spadina Rd, which finally got another new developer this year after multiple failed attempts at redevelopment.

Thankfully, Toronto is mostly at 'full use', and you don't really see the neglect of larger buildings like in some other rust-belt cities- for instance, I think that Toronto's stock of brick-and-beam-conversion-ready warehouses has long been depleted due to loft conversion, as compared to Detroit, where countless numbers of these buildings have been bulldozed into parking lots or decayed into nothing.

Paid a visit to Thistletown Regional Centre last weekend:

27F164AD-2FD1-4344-9724-C28AE0929D84.jpeg
33BAE74E-5A82-4600-9A64-8964BDB94ACA.jpeg
6169059A-B70F-4CBC-BB89-D6E492EAA996.jpeg
A1A1E36C-F25E-4BF4-9F7C-9EB3CD716C38.jpeg
02CB2BB0-A88E-48BC-9D75-C87B5EB3BBE9.jpeg
9BE99FC8-796B-4F79-941F-34B7A08AC145.jpeg
747637F3-0BDB-4FB5-8955-C8F1A3771E53.jpeg

First time hearing about it for me as well. Neat stuff, looks like something out of a scene in Walking Dead.

It was kind of eerie. There was nobody else around on the grounds except for a very disinterested looking security guard perched on some steps scrolling through his phone who couldn’t even summon the motivation to tell me to get lost.

I love that abandoned road that leads to the Islington/Finch intersection. It feels like you're the last person on earth (aside from the fact that you can hear cars on Finch Avenue).

iirc that site was planned for redevelopment a few years back. Is there any update?

There was a plan to build condos and affordable housing on the site with Mattamy Homes, but the province backed out after Ford got elected. I think they want to sell it for a higher price.

It was kind of eerie. There was nobody else around on the grounds except for a very disinterested looking security guard perched on some steps scrolling through his phone who couldn’t even summon the motivation to tell me to get lost.

I didn't think the public was barred from the grounds themselves, but obviously not permitted in the buildings. I should go have a wander sometime.

I didn't think the public was barred from the grounds themselves, but obviously not permitted in the buildings. I should go have a wander sometime.

Perhaps - the main entrance is wide open for any person or car to enter.

The former Alcoa Bakery on Davenport Road, just west of Ossington has been boarded up for a few years now:

View attachment 238780View attachment 238781
I came acr this blog while reminiscing about the area where I spent my early years, Davenport and Ossington. If you are interested in the history of this buildin, before it was Alcoa Bakery, it was a small supermarket called Fredrick Market and was owned by my family. We also owned the buildings at 1145, 1a49 and 1153. I can expand on the details of the area if anyone is interested.

Back