News   Mar 28, 2024
 257     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 240     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 282     0 

Abandoned or neglected buildings in Toronto

That's such a shame. It looks like there's a pretty nice building next door on College that's getting tagged up thanks to the dilapidated building beside it.
Not sure which is uglier, the grey monstrosity or the crumbling dump.
The Heritage Hydro Pole complements the two quite nicely.

Fire damage has left many of the scars in Toronto's urban fabric.

These are no longer buildings structurally, but this lot on Oxford Street just west of Spadina, remains fenced off after a fire burned down the row of Victorians back in 2014. Shame that the site is still in this state after 5 years.

This would be ideal for a missing middle type building somewhere around 4-6 storeys.

20191203_075405.jpg
20191203_075424.jpg

20191203_075453.jpg

Attachments

• 20191203_075453.jpg
    20191203_075453.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 432
Probably a typical case of insurance stalling and delaying as long as possible.

First thing that comes to mind are a couple (?) of houses on the west side of Walmer, just north of Bloor approaching Lowther. Don't know if they're still in that state, been at least a year since I've walked past them.

Photo from yesterday. The fence in front of the house on the south looks to have been added in recent months, based on the Google street view from May 2019.

20200113_172421.jpg

Last edited:
Wooden shutters - that building must be extremely old for Toronto standards. I hope it has heritage designation, though I have a gut feeling it doesn't...

Wooden shutters - that building must be extremely old for Toronto standards. I hope it has heritage designation, though I have a gut feeling it doesn't...

243 Queen St E should be its address, but I can't find any info available info to indicate its heritage recognition status. If restored properly, it reminds me of the building at the SE corner of Sherbourne & Adelaide E (below).

The area of Queen E, Dundas E, Sherbourne and side streets of Moss Park have a high concentration of neglected buildings.

1581220174638.png

Last edited:
Are old downtown buildings arson magnets or the answer to the city's housing crisis?

Developers should be required to keep buildings occupied as long as possible, councillor says

Michael Smee · CBC News · Posted: Feb 20, 2020 5:00 AM ET

After a series of suspicious fires at vacant downtown buildings, Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam is calling for stricter rules governing developers.

Wong-Tam's motion, passed by the housing and planning committee last week, calls on staff to research possible new rules that would make developers keep tenants in their newly-acquired properties as long as possible.

In a letter to the committee, Wong-Tam maintained that too many developers are pushing tenants out as quickly as they can, "accomplishing demolition by neglect."

I *think* they're "fake", or at least connected with the restaurant that used to be at that location.

What's the abandoned structure just south of Sunnybrook Hospital's campus? Image credit Google Streetview. Can't really see it in that pic, but it's a small rectangular building with one floor. There's a fence around it and a sign saying it's private property. The windows are knocked out and walls are tagged.

Untitled.jpg

What's the abandoned structure just south of Sunnybrook Hospital's campus? Image credit Google Streetview. Can't really see it in that pic, but it's a small rectangular building with one floor. There's a fence around it and a sign saying it's private property. The windows are knocked out and walls are tagged.

View attachment 255316

Interesting question.

More sleuthing required!

Here is an aerial photo from the City's mapping software, taken in winter.

1593731935458.png

The pink lines denote a discrete lot. So it shows as a different lot than Sunnybrook, or the City's parkland.

However, if you google the street address it does show as being Sunnybrook Hospital.

The black liners suggest an attempt at soil retention/erosion prevention. But unclear to me why. Photo is 2018.

Back