News   Jul 24, 2024
 244     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 754     0 

401 "Highway of Heroes" and DVP to be "Route of Heroes"

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think this is a terrible idea. Not only do we already have a highway named in honour of veterans, but also the 401 has had a name for decades that remembers the two most important Fathers of Confederation, a very fitting name for the highway joining Canada's two largest provinces.

To honour the soldiers
Canadian Press

August 23, 2007

PICTON, ONT. -- Ontario's Premier says he will consider a call to rename Canada's busiest highway in honour of the country's soldiers.

Dalton McGuinty says he will listen to recommendations that Highway 401 be renamed the Highway of Heroes.

The highway's overpasses have become the scene of impromptu gatherings in recent months, as people wave flags while motorcades pass by bearing the remains of soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

An online petition has been started asking the province's Transportation Ministry to make the name change.

Ontario premier John Robarts designated Highway 401 as the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway in 1965, in honour of two Fathers of Confederation, Sir John A. Macdonald and Sir George-Étienne Cartier.

Mr. McGuinty was previously involved in changing the name of an Ottawa highway to Veterans Memorial Highway.

He said the province needs to look for opportunities to lend support to Canada's soldiers and thank them for their sacrifices.

The flag-draped coffin of the latest soldier to be killed, Private Simon Longtin, was returned to CFB Trenton yesterday to be transported to Toronto for an autopsy.

I agree- This isn't the way to honour our troops...I think the concept of commemorating or showing open support for our troops and their families is great...

but here's a really wild thought- lets support our troops by funding the military properly, instead of paying lip service

No one is ever going to call the thing anything other than "the 401". This is just a waste of money putting up new signs. And militarizing our everyday experience into the bargain. Non, merci bien.

I'm surprised all the Canadian dead are brought to the medical coroner's office near Bay and College when they are first returned to Canada.

Highway 416 is already the Veteran's Memorial Highway.

MacDonald-Cartier is appropriate, fitting and meaningful. Leave it alone Dilbert McGuinty.

Ah fuck it, just call it what it is:

acdc.jpg

Macdonald-Cartier Freeway is the perfect name for #401!

Everyone: The Macdonald-Cartier Freeway or Expressway is the perfect name for #401! As Hydrogen mentioned Route 416 is already named the Veterans Highway! Since I have not been on #401 in years do the MCF signs still exist?
This road was named after two of Canada's most famous founding fathers-Ontario MT should keep it that way-as the longest limited-access highway in Canada-I believe. That's my two cents here-LI MIKE

Let's support our troops by getting them out of a mission that has no chance of success.

Hear hear. I support our troops by demanding they be here, where they belong, protecting our country, not ruining someone else's. My Dad was in the navy 20 years and he never set foot anywhere he wasn't greeted as a friend, not even the Soviet Union. This is a real departure from everything we've been for a long time. :(

Everyone: The Macdonald-Cartier Freeway or Expressway is the perfect name for #401! As Hydrogen mentioned Route 416 is already named the Veterans Highway! Since I have not been on #401 in years do the MCF signs still exist?
This road was named after two of Canada's most famous founding fathers-Ontario MT should keep it that way-as the longest limited-access highway in Canada-I believe. That's my two cents here-LI MIKE

Mike's right, and I'll go you one further. The 416 shouldn't be called The Veterans Highway; it should be named after the REAL founders of modern Canada, Baldwin and Lafontaine, who showed us how to make it work back in the 1840s. They're the reason Ottawa was made the capital of the United Canadas in 1857, ten years before there even was a Dominion of Canada, and a highway in the Ottawa area ought to reflect that. Highways are about commerce, communication, and peaceful travel. We should name something more appropriate after the vets.

And calling it "Highway of Heroes" is so... forgive me, Mike... so bloody American sounding. It makes the whole notion bland and trivial. Especially when you're dumping the name retrospectively on something that's existed for over 50 years now. How cheap can you get? You want to honour someone, fine, BUILD something new and name it for them. Don't just swap signage on something with an established identity.

why not name new streets in the troops hometowns using their names?

if "john doe" died in battle and comes from "anytown". when they build a new street in "anytown", call that new street "doe street"

Make Route#417 the Baldwin-Lafontaine Highway!

LP: Why not make Route 417-the limited access highway that serves Ottawa from the Quebec Line-the Baldwin-Lafontaine Highway to honor these joint founders? As said that one in that area might make perfect sense! LI MIKE

why not name new streets in the troops hometowns using their names?

if "john doe" died in battle and comes from "anytown". when they build a new street in "anytown", call that new street "doe street"

Frankly, I think the last thing Harper wants is four or five ceremonies across the country every month proclaiming the name of a dead soldier on some street or civic monument. Bad enough the press is allowed to mention them. I'll give him the nod for telling Bush "'09 and we're out"... though that's still a long way off... but I thought it was gutless of him to blame Parliament.

Back