News   Aug 27, 2024
 730     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 540     0 

401 "Highway of Heroes" and DVP to be "Route of Heroes"

I think there's a vast, and logically demonstrable difference, between having the legislative numbers and authority to proceed in spite of opposition on the one hand, and actually coming out and saying that the opposition has not even the right to have its opinions considered on the other. The former is the normal course of Westminster democracy. The latter is more characteristic of a Latin American military dictatorship. Particularly with the "uniform" qualification.

I would agree with you LP, had this comment been made in the legislature. But I'm sure it wasn't. Every party from left to right is guilty of rampant disrespect and even gutter talk outside of the legislature.

Btw, does anyone have the news source for the quote? I just looked it up on the newswires, and can't find it anywhere.

I would agree with you LP, had this comment been made in the legislature. But I'm sure it wasn't. Every party from left to right is guilty of rampant disrespect and even gutter talk outside of the legislature.

Btw, does anyone have the news source for the quote? I just looked it up on the newswires, and can't find it anywhere.

Frankly, I hope he DIDN'T really say it. The abrogation of the Opposition and the suggestion that the militarization of this country is the only means to a say in its governance are both revolting ideas.

It's clearly evident that the Conservatives have embarked on a campaign to marginalize and discredit Dion's character through an assortment of various bullying tactics. They will often ridicule things he says... and it seems to be working with respect to his popularity having plummetted since his being elected.

What surprises me the most, however, is that the Liberals have yet to fight back. I don't understand this mentality of simply hoping that the voters will see through the Conservative diversion games. This is the type of lethargic response that the Liberals engaged in during the last election campaign, and it cost Martin his job.

I favour the mission in Afghanistan but agree that this is a terrible idea -- cheap populism at its worst (note that a key instigator behind the petition is Liberal strategist Warren Kinsella).

Whether anyone likes it or not, the slogan "support our troops" has taken on political overtones and it belongs on neither our ambulances or highways.

The comment was made in the House of Commons in direct response to a question from Mr. Dion.

Here it is in the Hansard.

As for the Liberals, they did issue press release and complain about it quite a bit, but it's up to the media to report it. Other than a couple of columnists, none chose to mention it.

Well, in the words of our Prime Minister, "When the leader of the opposition is able to stand in uniform and serve his country then I'll care about his opinion."

And I wonder if our Prime Minister has ever stood in uniform himself? Of course, Harper then convienently reminded us that since he always lived and paid taxes in the country, the fact that he never wore a uniform is irrelevant. The big H word comes to mind.

Anyways, re: 401 renaming - perhaps someone should start a counter-letter campaign to suggest it's an atrocious idea instead. But of course, defending our tradition of not overvalorizing the military in the face of public sentiment is never a heroic act.

AoD

And I wonder if our Prime Minister has ever stood in uniform himself? The big H word comes to mind.

Well, Wiki doesn't mention anything about it... unless being a computer geek in private industry counts for serving your country and a pocket protector is a uniform. So if he's excused himself from having to listen to Stephane Dion, does this mean nobody has to listen to Harper for the same reason? Or are we entering the funky-Fascist "I eat guns for breakfast" world of Starship Troopers where "SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP!"?

LP:

But of course, as the link to Hansard posted by unimaginative suggest, our PM really really regrets not joining the military (conveniently, I might add), and thus deserve our special consideration, because really, his heart was on the front lines.

AoD

LP:

But of course, as the link to Hansard posted by unimaginative suggest, our PM really really regrets not joining the military (conveniently, I might add), and thus deserve our special consideration, because really, his heart was on the front lines.

AoD

Oh, if only. Then maybe it would step on a land mine.

I favour the mission in Afghanistan but agree that this is a terrible idea -- cheap populism at its worst (note that a key instigator behind the petition is Liberal strategist Warren Kinsella).
Somehow, I'm still not that bad about it. If anything, I'm the reverse--not really that hep to the Afg mission, but not opposed to the naming, either. (And I see it more as naming than renaming--401 and M-C still pertain to this stretch, folks.)

The simple reason: the overpass vigils. If that grassroots phenomenon didn't emerge, I'd think it's a silly cheap-populism gesture, too. But now, it's almost as natural as naming Hwy 11 going into Thunder Bay for Terry Fox.

Admittedly, it may be a phenomenon lost on 416ers. (Then again, the fact that this proposal comes from the McGuinty Liberals rather than the Harper Tories sweetens things a little.)

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/251351

McGuinty diminishes sentiment by inflating it into slogan
Aug 30, 2007 04:30 AM
Thomas Walkom

It is intriguing that there is a debate over Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty's decision to rename part of Highway 401 the Highway of Heroes. Usually, Canadians shrug off such things. There was little controversy in 1965, the last time the 401 was renamed. (Then it was designated the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway to honour two Fathers of Confederation.)

Nor was there widespread angst when Ottawa decided to attach the name of former Liberal prime minister Lester Pearson to Toronto's Malton airport. To most drivers, the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway remains the 401. To most air travellers, Toronto's international airport is still Toronto airport.

But the Highway of Heroes decision has struck a nerve. A week after Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield announced the name change, letters to the editor blasting the decision were still appearing in the Star.

Some of this has to do with the widespread sentiment against the Afghan war. Cansfield said the aim of the name change is simply to honour Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, not the war itself. But given that the Ontario announcement was made just as Ottawa launched its own public relations push to promote the war, her timing did strike some as curious.

I suspect, however, that there is a deeper reason for the unease. A good many Canadians, no matter what they think about the Afghan conflict, are instinctively suspicious of jingoism.

Chief of defence staff Gen. Rick Hillier found this out two years ago when he called Canada's Taliban enemies in Afghanistan "scumbags." There's little love lost on the Taliban here in Canada. But "scumbag" was deemed over the top. Critics lambasted Hillier's language as too American, by which they meant too black and white.

In the U.S., President George W. Bush can get away with calling his opponents "the worst of the worst." But in Canada, there seems to be a sneaking suspicion that matters are not always that simple.

In that sense, the Highway of Heroes moniker awakens the same reaction. It seems too extreme, too ideological – too American.

To me, however, McGuinty's decision conjures up not so much the U.S. as the old Soviet Union, with its Hero of Labour medals for workers who exceeded their production quotas.

With their extravagant terminology, the Soviets diminished language. But they also took real human activities (people usually like to do a good job) and, by turning them into propaganda slogans, diminished these, too.

So, too, with the Highway of Heroes. McGuinty has latched onto something real – the spontaneous vigils along Highway 401 to honour dead soldiers being transported from Trenton to Toronto. But by inflating this honest sentiment into a slogan, he has diminished it.

Because the point of the honouring is not that the dead were all heroes. Many didn't have a chance to do anything heroic. It is that we sent them to their deaths.

Journalists and politicians use the word "hero" lightly. But most soldiers will tell you that death in war is rarely heroic and that those who set out to be heroes in battle often end up endangering not just themselves but their comrades.

They will also tell you that there is nothing romantic about being killed by a roadside bomb.

To families and friends, those killed in Afghanistan will probably always be heroes. But that is the nature of families and friends.

If the dead were to miraculously reappear, they would probably blanch with embarrassment. They would say they were just doing their jobs.

They would probably also call the highway between Trenton and Toronto the 401.

I agree with his points, but it's hardly fair to just blame McGuinty for this. It's obviously simply in response to a very popular petition, which requested that exact name.

How many people pay attention to Facebook petitions though?

It certainly wasn't the brainchild of McGuinty, but I'm sure the Liberals thought it would make a great political move to do this (and made the decsion to accept the terms of the petition word-for-word). Otherwise Walkom makes many great points. I hope they reconsider.

I'm surprised to read this; I had thought my sentiments to be solidly in the minority on this matter. Maybe they still are, but not quite so solidly so, it seems. I remarked here myself last week that I thought the move was too American; it's weird to see that reflected in the article. But it's true; they slop the word "hero" around, along with "patriotic" and the like, slapping them on anything not sufficiently flashy, like bumperstickers on a 15-year-old heap you're trying to unload on some sucker by hiding the rust under slogans and pretty pictures. How long since "Mission Accomplished" have they been just about to win in Iraq now?

I feel sorry for the soldiers who die in Afghanistan; I really do believe they're dying there for nothing -- less than nothing: the mission is a serious departure from our policies since the 50s and it's hurting our international reputation. But I am suspicious of the people who line the route whenever the bodies come home. Our fallen soldiers are due respect, but his verges on adoration, and to me, it's faintly ugly and a little disturbing. It's the same kind of tribalistic, "my country, right or wrong" impulse I find so distasteful in the US. Not to tar them all with the same brush, but I strongly suspect that most such people are okay with, even eager about, opening a can of whoop-ass on anyone not sufficiently like them and just so they can feel superior. I don't want that for this country. For me, this "Highway of Heroes" folderal is all that in a nutshell.

I think some of you are reading *way* too much into this. And Walkom, like Old Faithful, once again like clockwork parrots the same old tired nonsense he's been spouting for twenty-odd years. Time has clearly passed him by. I stopped reading his column years ago for that reason, especially as him and others like him didn't give a shit about the military throughout all it's years of being gutted. But I couldn't help myself this time, I read it and I was not disappointed. This line is a classic:

A good many Canadians, no matter what they think about the Afghan conflict, are instinctively suspicious of jingoism.

Wrong. A good many doctrinaire, Waffle-spouting, historically ignorant and head-up-their-ass Boomer fossils like him may be suspicious of jingoism, but walk in concentric circles outside of certain media-urban-academic social spheres, and you'd be surprised. There is a not-so-quiet patriotism (or jingoism if you're so inclined) that's undiluted, active and bubbling beneath what is usually a polite surface.

Besides, if this gesture is so against our history (being what exactly? Our soldiering tradition? Our involvement in NATO, which the Afghan mission is), our nature, then where's the outcry? Where's the indignation? Where are the protests against this?

Walkolm never met an anti-Americanism he didn't like, and he just can't help himself, even in this totally symbolic, minor attempt at the recognition of these soldiers' service. It is a completely innocuous gesture. And to say it's "the same kind of tribalistic, 'my country, right or wrong' impulse I find so distasteful in the US...Not to tar them all with the same brush, but I strongly suspect that most such people are okay with, even eager about, opening a can of whoop-ass on anyone not sufficiently like them and just so they can feel superior. I don't want that for this country" is juvenile psychological projection at best, barely concealed contempt and prejudice at worst. Get over yourself. If this was any other group there is no way in hell you'd cast so wide a net.

Is this really such a bad thing, in the larger scheme of things? I don't think so. A friend of my girlfriend just graduated from the Forces academy, will likely be shipped out soon, and I had a chance to meet with him and his family. Least jingoistic people you'll ever meet, and he tells me most Forces members and their families are the same, and I believe him. Just quiet, humble, yet determined devotion to country and service. Yeah, I know, dorky, un-ironic, and retrograde impulses to the hipster crowd, but I sure as hell respect him and others like him (and yes, I support the Afghan mission, always have. Read Lawrence Wright's The Looming Tower, and then tell me you don't think the Taliban shouldn't have been overthrown.)

I really don't see how this is wrong, how this is jingoistic, or anything else other than a generous, simple show of support. I'm sure most Forces guys, if they're like the soldier I met, would say they think it's nice, but a not a big deal. That's fine, but I think this act is the least we can do. If you want to attach any sort of political spin to it, that's fine too, and I'm not saying that may not be the case. But that doesn't take away from the nobility of the gesture.

Back