News   Jul 30, 2024
 987     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 663     0 

204 Beech - A Family's Battle to Build a Home

Unfortunately I don't believe many (more on this site would) understand that this IS part of the planning process. The Councillor has stated no demolition application has been submitted or approved, so this is par the course. Even a demolition application can result in this action, ESPECIALLY with a heritage building. The lack of knowledge of the heritage planning process, coupled with pitting heritage VS accessibility does no favour to anyone.

Let me repeat again - there is ONE person at City Hall working on all the cumbersome paperwork to research designated and listed buildings. The backlog is two year running. If they had spoken to HPS while purchasing this would have been explained. The Inventory is not complete - and just because a building isn't on the list, doesn't not preclude it from beginning listed or designated AT ANY POINT. It doesn't mean that it is not of heritage value.

It doesn't matter what is built in its place - it is the loss of THIS particular building.

The economics or the personal situation of the owner of this property is NOT a heritage issue. By allowing a new structure, it sets a dangerous precedence where people can demolish any structure because of personal factors.

I'm flattered.

I can understand why you'd feel that way, but there's no need to be flattered, no one has actually paid you a complement.
I'm not surprised at your confusion though, you've proven yourself to be rather stupid.

Rebecca, what are you doing about the building s on Church street?
Where were you while Walnut Hall slowly decayed?
I'm all for saving heritage buildings such as those, but the City, Feds and HPS didn't seem interested at all....until it hits the news media, now you're on the bandwagon?

Unfortunately I don't believe many (more on this site would) understand that this IS part of the planning process. The Councillor has stated no demolition application has been submitted or approved, so this is par the course. Even a demolition application can result in this action, ESPECIALLY with a heritage building. The lack of knowledge of the heritage planning process, coupled with pitting heritage VS accessibility does no favour to anyone.

Let me repeat again - there is ONE person at City Hall working on all the cumbersome paperwork to research designated and listed buildings. The backlog is two year running. If they had spoken to HPS while purchasing this would have been explained. The Inventory is not complete - and just because a building isn't on the list, doesn't not preclude it from beginning listed or designated AT ANY POINT. It doesn't mean that it is not of heritage value.

It doesn't matter what is built in its place - it is the loss of THIS particular building.

The economics or the personal situation of the owner of this property is NOT a heritage issue. By allowing a new structure, it sets a dangerous precedence where people can demolish any structure because of personal factors.

Given this new info, and I'm hoping that it's accurate Rebecca, that the site plan and demolition have not yet been approved. I'm less inclined to support the family and more to let the process that has been started go through, if it does get designated well then we cross that bridge when we get there. However I still condemn the neighbours and councillor who proceeded with this action without notifying or consulting with the owners.

AGTO - where have I been?! I work in heritage, I thought that was pretty clear. When the media picks up on the issue is one thing, but do keep in mind that a lot of work and advocacy is going on well in advance that you are not aware of. The wagon is being driven by many people, I've been on it for awhile.

The system as a whole is flawed, and that is a whole other post. Starting with the Ontario Heritage Act and drilling downwards.

Yes it is true, Woodbridge: check for yourself here:
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/developmentapplications/index.htm

No applications listed at all, plus the Councillor has corresponded with us stating that no applications have been filed either.

The Councillor is doing her job, Woodbridge. She has conversed with the family. You could flip this around - the family has obviously not consulted with the neighbours, which resulted in the complaints. It's a two-way street.

Last edited:
the family has obviously not consulted with the neighbours, which resulted in the complaints.

If you did your research, you'd know that the family did consult with neioghbors and most of them are in support.
I'm unaware of any bylaws requiring a buyer to consult with the entire neighborhood before purchasing.

Walnut hall didn't fall down over night...where's your excuse for that?

The system as a whole is flawed,

Yes, but it's not the fault of the homeowner...and they shouldn't be punished for your organizations incompetance.

The Councillor is doing her job, Woodbridge.

...in a very underhanded and sleazy way.

From the weekly ACO e-newsletter (boldface mine)...

The President's Pen: You Need Reports and Approval to Chop Down A Tree In Toronto, But Not a House

A couple bought a house in the Beach area of Toronto with the intent of demolishing it and building a nice new modern universally accessible house by a good architect. They took all of the required steps, including checking the City's inventory of protected buildings. (Read the Star here, and more detail at Openfile) and found no problem.

But there is a problem on a street like Beech in an area like the Beach. Houses do not exist in isolation but create the texture of the neighbourhood. It should have been part of a Heritage Conservation district, but back in 2004 some hotshot lawyers screamed "property rights" and Beech Ave. didn't get to be an HCD.

So in the absence of any decent inventory of the houses and districts that matter to the City, the couple bought the house and all hell breaks loose and we are once again doing Heritage By Crisis, in which nobody wins.

Seriously, In Toronto you cannot chop down a tree without getting an arborist's report and going to Council, but if a house is not one of the few on a list, you can chop it down without a second thought. It is about time that we treated our buildings as well as our trees, and made proper reports and Council approval mandatory for any demolition.

Regards, Lloyd Alter.

I'm unaware of any bylaws requiring a buyer to consult with the entire neighborhood before purchasing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but purchasing doesn't seem to be the crux of the issue here.

If there has been no application for a demolition or building permit, why is this even newsworthy? I don't see anything in place to stop them doing what they are planning on doing. Though I'm shocked that they are doing this in such a public manner ... why do some people have such a need to paint a bullseye on themselves? What next, are they going to hire a PR rep?

What next, are they going to hire a PR rep?

No, you must be thinking of the ex attorney general.

If you had read this thread you'd know that it was the media that started this thing, not the homeowners.

What next, are they going to hire a PR rep?

Surprised more people don't know he owns one of the larger, marketing firms in the city. Doubt they'd need to hire outside help to push this

If you had read this thread you'd know that it was the media that started this thing, not the homeowners.
The Open File report was pitched by his business partner, his firm works with the Toronto Star, and he has a fairly large social media presence. He may not be pushing the story.

Last edited:
You just can't stay away from me can you? You've got a real boner goin' on there, don't you boy?

I somehow doubt the press just stumbled upon this story.

I doubt that anything you say is credible.

his firm works with the Toronto Star,

...and the Globe broke the story...were you trying, in desperation, to make a valid point again....yet failing miserably?

He may not be directly pushing the story, but he's not that many degrees of separation away from the people who are.

Do you have a point?

You'd love that. Sorry son, I'm straight.

Sure you are, boy....but you certianly don't act straight...not that there's anything wrong ....just admit it, you'll be a better person for it ;)...and, you may even gat laid!

Back