News   Apr 25, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 910     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 945     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
careers in this industry are built upon the sustaining of the situation.

As someone who has worked in the social services setting, I can assure you that no one goes into the industry for the money.

There are shelter staff making barely much more than than fast food employees.

As someone who has worked in the social services setting, I can assure you that no one goes into the industry for the money.

There are shelter staff making barely much more than than fast food employees.
You're the foot soldiers, often underpaid and underappreciated. But the higher ups do just fine off the backs of the homeless. For example, let's look at the Fred Victor Centre, where at least ten managers are pulling in $110k plus. The Sally Ann runs the Maxwell Meighen Centre, the very definition of scourge of Sherbourne street, while their Rosedale-residing upper management pulls in $300k plus. And this is essential work, if we're not going to provide permanent housing and addiction/mental health services then this issue of homelessness is not going away. But I want Allan Gardens back, and the best way if we're not going to solve homelessness is to spread it out.

Last edited:
You're the foot soldiers, often underpaid and underappreciated. But the higher ups do just find off the backs of the homeless. For example, let's look at the Fred Victor Centre, where at least ten managers are pulling in $110k plus.

That sunshine list threshold of $100k is out of date. $110k is not a whole lot of money these days. And not much past the city-wide average of $97k. Not to mention the recent National Bank announcement that it’d require $286k/year salary to afford the mortgage payments on a house in the median price range in Toronto.

[edited to add]: I’ll note that I know of concrete truck drivers who take home more than that a year.

The Sally Ann runs the Maxwell Meighen Centre, the very definition of scourge of Sherbourne street, while their Rosedale-residing upper management pulls in $300k plus.
The Salvation Army is a church that does (some) charity work. It’s not governmental, and not accountable to taxpayers.

Last edited:
This election reminds me of nothing so much as the 2005 Simpsons episode "See Homer Run," in which a byelection is called in Springfield, and over 200 kooks, cranks and assorted zanies (including Homer Simpson himself) run for the position of Mayor. Of course, with no other credible candidates, the vote is sufficiently split that the ultra-corrupt Mayor Quimby easily slithers back into office. The Simpsons has often been accused of predicting the future - most notoriously with Trump being elected President - and if John Tory was actually running again just now, I cant help wondering if the same thing might not have happened here. D'oh!

I think in the end Chow is going to pull in >40% of the vote. And she hasn’t said anything memorable yet.
And I don't think she will. Candidates fear defeat, but lack the bravery to be bold in the face of scrutiny.

If she holds the line, she'll be fine.

Bradford, Bilao, Hunter and Saunders need to actually stand for something, otherwise Furey, the non politician may surprise a few and sneak past all of them.

Also just an observation, but did anyone else think Matlow had an air of resignation in his speaking? He was saying the right things, but he seemed to have the air taken out of him.

You think living in Toronto right now is in any way sustainable? People who live in Toronto shouldn't have to suffer in order to have a life here.

I'm glad however, your care for the plight of others seems based on how stimulating it is to you.

The restructuring happened 5 years ago; so if you want to argue that's some kind of a long time, it's laughable. For that matter, Giorgio Mammoliti also hasn't been in council since its restructuring.

You are aware that she was in city council for twenty-two years; including during amalgamation and all the disruption that caused? And you are also aware she was the federal MP for Trinity-Spadina for almost a decade, right? Guess how big federal constituencies are.

I'm asking rhetorically of course. Unless you've been living under a rock and haven't bothered learning a lick about the person you seem so intent on slagging, you do already know this and wilfully ignore it.

Gee, someone who's spent more than half of their life in public service, has chosen to get back into it. IT MUST BE A CONSPIRACY.

Not to mention, you're completely choosing to ignore *her* agency in all this, implying she's only where she is because of name recognition and not her vast political experience, intelligence or ability to connect with people.

So, who's paying *you* to come here and slag her with ignorance and dogwhistles? Who put you up to it, huh? Who's pulling your strings?
Ignorance and Dogwhistles? That's nice Torontonian talk. Born and Bred here. I don't need to answer you but out of old fashioned courtesy (google it) I will. 22 years of public service? You mean lunches with contractors/advocates at the city's expense? Hanging on to St Jack's coattails to the grave and beyond? Promising more construction to the loud (paid) advocates cluttering up our parks with drugs and excrement? Insisting the other level of government will pay so don't you worry dear little taxpayers? Hows that house she and st jack bought after being shamed out of the co-op, y'know they one the put solar panels on top of- being sure to invite the media round to witness it? Oh dear sunshine! How the NDP loves you! *just not in accounting*

This election reminds me of nothing so much as the 2005 Simpsons episode "See Homer Run," in which a byelection is called in Springfield, and over 200 kooks, cranks and assorted zanies (including Homer Simpson himself) run for the position of Mayor. Of course, with no other credible candidates, the vote is sufficiently split that the ultra-corrupt Mayor Quimby easily slithers back into office. The Simpsons has often been accused of predicting the future - most notoriously with Trump being elected President - and if John Tory was actually running again just now, I cant help wondering if the same thing might not have happened here. D'oh!

Tory would absolutely win again. Most people didn't care about him sleeping with a staffer, and he had just won decisively a few months prior.

Tory would absolutely win again. Most people didn't care about him sleeping with a staffer, and he had just won decisively a few months prior.

But he quit voluntarily, and cost the taxpayers the massive expense of another election. Fiscal conservatism in action.

Ignorance and Dogwhistles? That's nice Torontonian talk. Born and Bred here. I don't need to answer you but out of old fashioned courtesy (google it) I will. 22 years of public service? You mean lunches with contractors/advocates at the city's expense? Hanging on to St Jack's coattails to the grave and beyond? Promising more construction to the loud (paid) advocates cluttering up our parks with drugs and excrement? Insisting the other level of government will pay so don't you worry dear little taxpayers? Hows that house she and st jack bought after being shamed out of the co-op, y'know they one the put solar panels on top of- being sure to invite the media round to witness it? Oh dear sunshine! How the NDP loves you! *just not in accounting*
Screed much?

Can you please stop beating around the bush and say whatever it is you're trying to say? I'm sure it's not some weird racist conspiracy theory.
not sure if you are aware but CHINA is online trying to influence our democracy, just like the internet big shots don't like legislation about news providers. Consider the source!

Back