News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 458     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
not sure if you are aware but CHINA is online trying to influence our democracy, just like the internet big shots don't like legislation about news providers. Consider the source!
Not sure if you are aware, but Olivia Chow was born in British Hong Kong. She's a born and bred citizen of the commonwealth. Not China.

But don't let me interrupt your ignorance.

Hows that house she and st jack bought after being shamed out of the co-op, y'know they one the put solar panels on top of- being sure to invite the media round to witness it?
I just need to go back to this, because I find it absolutely hilarious when conservatives (I guessed right, didn't I? Probably a Maxime fan, judging by the amount of ignorance on display) complain about solar panels.

Solar panels are the absolute epitome (yes, that's also an English word) of self-reliance; a supposed cornerstone of fiscal conservative politics.

Just in case you weren't aware of that. Also, they did it 17 years ago, long before it was popular.

Again, self reliance = bad when done by "lefties" but good when done by conservatives?

Last edited:
not sure if you are aware but CHINA is online trying to influence our democracy, just like the internet big shots don't like legislation about news providers. Consider the source!
If any current campaign might raise suspicions about Chinese shenanigans afoot, it's that of Gong, not that of Chow.

Not sure if you are aware, but Olivia Chow was born in British Hong Kong. She's a born and bred citizen of the commonwealth. Not China.

But don't let me interrupt your ignorance.
not sure if you are aware but China regards HK as it's territory even tho it was only handed back in 1997. No ignorance here comrade. Just toronto born, bred and proud.

I just need to go back to this, because I find it absolutely hilarious when conservatives (I guessed right, didn't I? Probably a Maxime fan, judging by the amount of ignorance on display) complain about solar panels.

Solar panels are the absolute epitome (yes, that's also an English word) of self-reliance; a supposed cornerstone of fiscal conservative politics.

Just in case you weren't aware of that. Also, they did it 17 years ago, long before it was popular.

Again, self reliance = bad when done by "lefties" but good when done by conservatives?
what was wrong with living in a co-op? oh right it didn't fit the narrative st jack was peddling. You ought to know that MP and councillors are PAID for the work they do - expenses, travel, pensions. They do NOT do it out of the kindness of their hearts. again with the nonsense politcal shade. Lefties? Conservatives? there is wrong with solar panels - there is a LOT wrong with peddling a false narrative to get elected. P.S wrong about maxime but keep stabbing in the dark zang... it suits you

since some posters have not realized there is some question about Chinese government jockeying for influence in Canada, let me say that again the CHINESE government, not the Peruvian government, not the Swedish goverment the CHINESE government. That's why when you see campaign signs in languages other than English and French it is a sign of EXCLUSION, not inclusion. Consider the source, a common English saying, is very apt for where we are. We need to be aware of online conversations that want to divert to other issues or indeed want to devalue the rights of Canadians to have/express opinions other than their own. I do NOT see Chow as a competent capable innovative administrator and in fact am very suspicious of her motives. I didn't see Trump as a well balance, stable leader and yet he was elected! So there you go!

I lived in England for over a decade and I have never heard the word.
Key word: "heard". That is, you're probably the sort who's consumed very little of the kind of literature and media that'd use words like "screed", but have done a lot of amateur tabloid-style "reesurch" instead, because at least it speaks "plain English" to folks like you without having to resort to fancy words like "screed"...

what was wrong with living in a co-op? oh right it didn't fit the narrative st jack was peddling. You ought to know that MP and councillors are PAID for the work they do - expenses, travel, pensions. They do NOT do it out of the kindness of their hearts. again with the nonsense politcal shade. Lefties? Conservatives? there is wrong with solar panels - there is a LOT wrong with peddling a false narrative to get elected. P.S wrong about maxime but keep stabbing in the dark zang... it suits you

They lived in a co-op at Jarvis and Shuter. And were accused of availing of “subsidized housing” by people pushing, oh, your narrative. Of course they actually paid market rent in a co-op. Which is the point. And god forbid they decide to buy a house in their 40s instead. And many/most HKers who moved away did so to avoid being under the thumb of the PRC - you think it’s a coincidence that much of that emigration occurred after June 1989?

not sure if you are aware but China regards HK as it's territory even tho it was only handed back in 1997. No ignorance here comrade. Just toronto born, bred and proud.
And? Have you ever met anyone from British Hong Kong or Taiwan? They’ll take great offence to being identified as being from the PRC. Russia still believes Alaska is theirs, BTW. So should everyone from Alaska should be treated with the same suspicions?

Your implication that Chow is somehow under Chinese influence is blatantly ridiculous and comes with zero evidence but the fact that she was born in a country that China claimed to be theirs and that she’s of Asian decent.

Last edited:
what was wrong with living in a co-op? oh right it didn't fit the narrative st jack was peddling.

Nothing's wrong with living in a co-op, especially when the Hazelburn Co-op (the one they lived in) is mixed-income and income-geared. When Jack got on council, they bumped up their rent payments to match their combined income, long before pundits found out they were living in a co-op. Because, y'know, they were being responsible and honest.

But why let a 33-year old false narrative die, huh?

You ought to know that MP and councillors are PAID for the work they do - expenses, travel, pensions. They do NOT do it out of the kindness of their hearts. again with the nonsense politcal shade.

Sure, they get paid for it. But does that make the motivations of all politicians suspect, or only those who are left-leaning or of Asian decent?

And for the record, some people actually do it out of a feeling of duty towards their community and country, regardless of their political leaning.

Your implication it's only for the money quickly falls apart when you account for the millionaires like John Tory who leave very high paying jobs to run for seats. But I digress.

Lefties? Conservatives? there is wrong with solar panels - there is a LOT wrong with peddling a false narrative to get elected.

What’s the narrative there then? Is it “be self-reliant like us?” Or is it “You too can cut your costs by getting solar panels?” The horror!

They were also *in* parliament already and it wasn't anywhere near an election period. So were they trying win their seats harder?

You don’t even have a valid argument here. You’re just against it because of who did it.

P.S wrong about maxime but keep stabbing in the dark zang... it suits you

Sorry, your posts just bear the trademark grievance politics, dogwhistle racism and ignorance of a PPC voter. My bad.

Last edited:
Sorry, your posts just bear the trademark grievance politics, dogwhistle racism and ignorance of a PPC voter. My bad.
It might be a bigger tent than that, if "Anthony Furey" voter is shaping up to be a bigger tent than "PPC voter" (and potentially even a 2nd place force, even if a *very* distant 2nd)

It might be a bigger tent than that, if "Anthony Furey" voter is shaping up to be a bigger tent than "PPC voter" (and potentially even a 2nd place force, even if a *very* distant 2nd)
Well, the Conservative party in general has been pushing further and further into PPC territory...

Besides, a Mainstreet poll will come out the day before the election declaring Bailão less than 3 points from Chow, so that when Ana inevitably loses, she can be the rightful runner up. :p

Last edited:

Back