News   May 03, 2024
 419     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 280     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 156     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Josh Matlow's housing platform released:

Alex doesn't appear to be a fan.

I disagree with Alex's take.

9-storeys, as-of-right, on 'avenues' with the angular plane rules waived is a substantive commitment and further than any other credible candidate has gone so far as I know.

The Yellow Belt interiors are already opened up to 4-plexes (that just passed) which Matlow is committed to expediting.

There will be further moves on 'neighbourhoods' but if Alex is expecting any serious candidate to say they're going to open the door wide in yellowbelt interiors............

Suffice to say:

Running on that is a sure path to defeat.

And if you did run on it, you would never get it through Council......

Once you turn 80, you need to renew your driver’s licence every 2 years. There are many steps involved to get a driver's license. From link.

There are five main steps (possibly more, if required) to renew your licence.

1. Receive a renewal application.
Before your licence expiry date, you will receive the following in the mail:
• a renewal application form
• a letter explaining the steps required to renew
The letter and renewal application form will arrive up to 90 days before your licence expires.

2. Watch the educational video.
Before attending the renewal session:
• watch the senior driver education video
• review the Official Ministry of Transportation Driver’s Handbook and/or the Official Ministry of Transportation Motorcycle Handbook, also available in print format at various retailers

3. Book an appointment.
Once you receive your renewal application form and letter in the mail, you must attend a Senior Driver Group Education session. To book the appointment:
• call 1-800-396-4233 (toll free) or 416-235-3579 (in the Greater Toronto area)
• provide your driver’s licence number
• tell us about any language barriers
• tell us if you require accommodations such as a sign-language interpreter
When you call, you will get the date, time and location of your session. Sessions are held at various locations across the province.
If you can’t attend the day of your session, you may re-schedule your appointment. If the next available appointment is after your driver’s licence expires, you may be eligible to get a temporary driver’s licence extension.

4. Attend a senior driver group education session.
What to bring to the renewal session:
• your driver’s licence (or temporary driver’s licence)
• the licence renewal application, if available
• corrective eyeglasses or contact lenses you use for driving as well as any used for reading
• hearing aids, if needed

At the session, you will:
• have an opportunity to watch the educational video if you were not able to watch it before attending
• complete a vision assessment
• complete a 5-minute in-class screening exercise

After the session, you may need to:
• renew your driver’s licence by paying a $36 renewal fee at ServiceOntario
• before renewing, you may also be asked to complete one or more of the following:
• pass a road test
• follow up with your doctor and submit medical information
• provide additional vision information from a doctor or optometrist
This will depend on how well you performed on the in-class screening components and a review of your driving record.
If additional medical information is required, you will be notified by mail.
A driver improvement counsellor at the group education session will tell you the next steps.
If you have demerit points, are unsuccessful with a test, or have trouble with the written exercises, for example, you may have to follow up with your physician or take a road test. If you need to see your physician, you will receive a letter in the mail. It will outline the medical information required and a timeframe to submit it at a DriveTest Centre. If a road test is required, you must book an appointment. You can book a road test through this website, in person, or by phone. When you arrive at the DriveTest Centre, you must provide your current driver’s licence and the renewal form you received in the mail. All DriveTest Centres are accessible with dedicated parking, railings, ramps, etc. If you are unsuccessful with any of the required tests – vision, or road – you may take them again. If you are unsuccessful in a road test, your driver’s licence may revert to a Class G1 or M1 until you are successful. For that reason, bring a fully licensed driver with over four years of experience with you on the day of your road test.

5. Receive a new licence card.
After you complete the renewal requirements you may renew your licence online or if necessary, visit a ServiceOntario centre. If you renew your driver’s licence at a ServiceOntario centre, you may to need to bring original identification that shows your legal name and date of birth if your licence has already expired.

Find a ServiceOntario centre near you

My father gave up after taking 10 years (after age 90). He was still able to drive, but didn't like the hassle of doing all the tests. Thankfully, he lived near Bloor West Village, and was able to walk (with a walker) to and from the stores and doctor close by. It would have been worse in the car addicted areas of suburban Toronto and the 905. More 15-minute neighbourhoods would needed for the benefit of all seniors, or those without a driver's license.

Fresh polling from Mainstreet.

IMG_8056.jpeg

Wow, these polls are all over the place, apart from Chow in first. I’m not surprised to see Furey getting a “bump,” but I am surprised to see Hunter with twice the amount of support as Bradford.
One candidate dropping out right now would make an enormous shift. I wonder if any will do it.
Do we know when the "ballot printing deadline" is so someone dropping out will not show up on the ticket?

One candidate dropping out right now would make an enormous shift. I wonder if any will do it.
Do we know when the "ballot printing deadline" is so someone dropping out will not show up on the ticket?
If anyone should drop out, it's Bradford and Hunter.

Wow, these polls are all over the place, apart from Chow in first.

No kidding!

Lets look at the tracking for just the top 3 in the above after Chow (last 3 polls published here on UT)

Bailao 5, 7, 21
Matlow 10, 10, 14
Saunders 11, 18, 10

Matlow is the only one close to the M.O.E across the three.

Bailao's apparent swing is utterly nuts

Here's one of the cross-tabs, broken down by age, gender and region.

Note the stark downtown vs. suburban support divide for Matlow and Saunders.

View attachment 478566

The first thing I take from the above is that Giorigo's target market is entirely and exclusively women aged 50-64. Who knew?

Otherwise, the only surprise on gender split to me is that Matlow shows as more favourable to men; I would have expected that to go the other way.

On the age demos, Matlow reads ahead in the young adult group, which I would expect, but maybe he's a bit lower than one might have thought; what stands out there is his weakness relative to Chow and Bailao in the 50-64 demo.

Last edited:
I think it was foolish to think this was going to be a Chow vs Saunders race (as someone here recently posted). I do not think he has any wide appeal besides a small right wing base. I can certainly see a Chow vs a centre candidate like Bailao. If the majority want to "stop" Chow, they will probably find a 'comfortable' candidate to rally behind, and Bailao, being safe and bland, could be that alternative.

Matlow has to think of a clear and appealable theme besides being a policy guy. Most cannot distinguish a good housing policy from a bad one and most will also not pay attention. Unfortunately, you need a simple bumper sticker theme that many find appealing. "Respect for taxpayers" worked, sadly.

Matlow has to think of a clear and appealable theme besides being a policy guy. Most cannot distinguish a good housing policy from a bad one and most will also not pay attention. Unfortunately, you need a simple bumper sticker theme that many find appealing. "Respect for taxpayers" worked, sadly.
This is one of the big reasons Steven Del Duca lost the 2022 Ontario election so badly. Promoting yourself as a big policy person isn't going to win you too many votes.

Back