News   Jul 15, 2024
 151     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got to say Olivia Chow 2023 is giving me Olivia Chow 2014 vibes. She is not good at this. At all.
It's discouraging to hear that once again, she seems to be relying just on name recognition and being Jack Layton's widow, only a decade later. She's not putting in the work. Very discouraging, since she's the front runner by far. Still, I'll take the prospect of a guaranteed lame-duck Chow mayoralty any day over Saunders.

It's discouraging to hear that once again, she seems to be relying just on name recognition and being Jack Layton's widow, only a decade later. She's not putting in the work. Very discouraging, since she's the front runner by far. Still, I'll take the prospect of a guaranteed lame-duck Chow mayoralty any day over Saunders.
A truly weak candidate tells me she could be a weak mayor. I hope I'm wrong if she does win this race. The city needs a good mayor.

I believe Matlow is the first candidate to have a comprehensive "seniors platform."

Does Chow getting elected bring something worse than Saunders in the form of Ford dispensing with the pretense that the city can manage itself?

I can envision a scenario where Chow wins the by-election with around 35% of the vote, against a crowded right wing, only to lose in the 2026 general election when the centre and right wings unite around a consensus candidate.

I can envision a scenario where Chow wins the by-election with around 35% of the vote, against a crowded right wing, only to lose in the 2026 general election when the centre and right wings unite around a consensus candidate.

Extremely unlikely due to the incumbent affect. She would have to have several high profile screw-ups, probably within 3 months of the election, for that to equalize.

Extremely unlikely due to the incumbent affect. She would have to have several high profile screw-ups, probably within 3 months of the election, for that to equalize.
When she's unable to deliver on any of her promises that rely on cooperation from other levels of government, it might be enough to push progressives to someone who can.

She could win this election and get the boot in 2026. Not from screw ups within the first few months. I would imagine she would enter a re-election race looking weak if over the next 3 and a half years if she comes off as a very divisive leader, making poor judgment calls, taxes are up high, crime continues to be a big issue, a council that clearly doesn't work well with her and a strong campaign competitor that has the money, the charisma and the better campaign tactics and strategy to win. My gut tells me Olivia Chow would become a very forgetful mayor.

That is if she gets elected, of course.

I believe Matlow is the first candidate to have a comprehensive "seniors platform."

Lets bring that forward and have a look:

1684340611303.png

I find this to be more useful and credible than what Bailao has had to say on the subject.

I don't think the reduction in one-off seniors fares is particularly material as these things go, I would prefer to do away w/age-concessions entirely and use the savings to reduce overall fares, particularly though
daily and monthly caps.

Be that as it may, there's a lot of sensible stuff above.

This is NORC btw:

A great deal of what they want Mayoral candidates to endorse is in the above:

Wait, Matlow is supportive of Aging in Place? Subsidizing keeping a single senior in a sprawling single family home when families of 4 or 5 get squeezed into a small 1-2 bedroom condo? This is what is wrong with our city.

Wait, Matlow is supportive of Aging in Place? Subsidizing keeping a single senior in a sprawling single family home when families of 4 or 5 get squeezed into a small 1-2 bedroom condo? This is what is wrong with our city.

Sigh, that's not what that means.

It means keeping seniors out of Long Term Care, living on their own with greater freedom, quality of life, and at much lower cost to government.

Also, the majority of seniors in this city live in apartments, not single-family homes.

Sigh, that's not what that means.

It means keeping seniors out of Long Term Care, living on their own with greater freedom, quality of life, and at much lower cost to government.

Also, the majority of seniors in this city live in apartments, not single-family homes.
What's with the sigh? I'm genuinely curious. The first thing that comes up on a quick Google Search of Aging in Place is "Staying in your own home as you get older is called "aging in place." So for the seniors who live in the multimillion dollar suburban homes, there's clearly no need for these additional subsidies, it's unclear (to me) if Matlow's plan applies to these well-off seniors. We should be doing everything we can to make it easy to leave the over-housed so that families can take advantage of those spots/more space.

Back