News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 341     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 357     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At 10% percent for Anthony Furey and almost 3% for Chris Sky, Etobicoke is an embarrassment.

I can't really pretend to be surprised by a place that keeps voting in regressive assholes like the Fords and the Holydays though.

The first thing I take from the above is that Giorigo's target market is entirely and exclusively women aged 50-64. Who knew?

Otherwise, the only surprise on gender split to me is that Matlow shows as more favourable to men; I would have expected that to go the other way.

On the age demos, Matlow reads ahead in the young adult group, which I would expect, but maybe he's a bit lower than one might have thought; what stands out there is his weakness relative to Chow and Bailao in the 50-64 demo.

Matlow is in a very tough spot. His highest polling numbers were before Chow was officially in the race. Since then, they dropped and now appear flat.

He's released a very policy-heavy platform, that appears to be fully costed, but it hasn't sparked much interest.

Last edited:
Matlow is in a very tough spot. His highest polling numbers was before Chow was officially in the race. Since then, they dropped and now appear flat.

He's released a very policy-heavy platform, that appears to be fully costed, but it hasn't sparked much interest.

I agree; with this proviso, the media is giving him and his platform very little airtime, which is a serious challenge.

He needs greater visibility if he's going to get any traction.

Matlow is in a very tough spot. His highest polling numbers were before Chow was officially in the race. Since then, they dropped and now appear flat.

It's sad, but voters don't care about detailed policy - they want catchy soundbites that don't challenge the brain.

It's sad, but voters don't care about detailed policy - they want catchy soundbites that don't challenge the brain.

I know you tend to view things this way; but while there certainly are lots of people who neither can nor will read full platforms, I think a majority of those who actually vote are in fact interested in public policy.

But, wrongly may I suggest, they hope the media right read the platforms for them and provide key highlights and insights.

That the media can't be bothered doing that, by and large, is a shame.

I wish I could believe that people are interested, but conversations I hear and questions I am asked when working at the polling stations leads me to believe otherwise. For example, at the last municipal election, I was asked how anyone could be expected to know who to vote for when the ballot doesn’t show parties. There were many more examples.

A Toronto Star article from a few days ago.

Tory confirmed that he's giving advice to Bradford and Bailao, but says he won't be endorsing a candidate.

1684531011598.png

I still think it's very possible that Tory endorses a candidate last minute, especially if either Bradford or Bailao are in the single digits, and one of them is sitting second, or neck-and-neck with Chow.

It should be noted that last October Tory endorsed candidates Siri Agrell, Grant Gonzales and Mark Grimes, who all lost. However, in a tight race, the "Tory Bump" could make the difference.

I think it was foolish to think this was going to be a Chow vs Saunders race (as someone here recently posted). I do not think he has any wide appeal besides a small right wing base. I can certainly see a Chow vs a centre candidate like Bailao. If the majority want to "stop" Chow, they will probably find a 'comfortable' candidate to rally behind, and Bailao, being safe and bland, could be that alternative.
Though one thing to keep in mind that Mainstreet's tended to have its thumb on the Bailao scale relative to other pollsters--in part because they reportedly *are* Bailao's pollster...

Though one thing to keep in mind that Mainstreet's tended to have its thumb on the Bailao scale relative to other pollsters--in part because they reportedly *are* Bailao's pollster...
Are you applying Mainstreet is just making Ana Bailao look more competitive? That they are faking numbers?

Are you applying Mainstreet is just making Ana Bailao look more competitive? That they are faking numbers?
Put it this way: out of all the pollsters, Mainstreet has *consistently* shown Bailao conspicuously higher than the rest, which they claim is due to the kind of weighting they do. So, while I wouldn't discount the likelihood that they're "onto something", there's still an element of cum grano salis about this...

Olivia Chow continues to hold a commanding lead over the other candidates for Toronto mayor, according to a new poll released on Saturday morning.

Among decided voters surveyed by Liaison Strategies, Chow has 29 per cent of support. She leads in all city boroughs and age demographics. It is consistent with other recent polls by Mainstreet Research and Forum Research that also have Chow as the front-runner in the mayoral race. As a result, her rival candidates have tried to discredit her, especially during this week’s first major debate.

"Trend lines are always more important than any individual snapshot. The story of the election continues to be the steady gains by Olivia Chow week after week,” David Valentin, the principal at Liaison Strategies, said in a news release.

Chow is significantly ahead of Mark Saunders, who came in second with 17 per cent of support, according to the poll. He is followed by Mitzie Hunter, who saw an increase of three percentage points from last week’s poll, garnering 15 per cent support. Meanwhile, Matlow’s numbers continue to decline. Last week, he placed third with 15 per cent of support but has dropped to the fourth spot this week with 11 per cent.

Brad Bradford is fifth with 10 per cent of support, followed by Ana Bailao with eight per cent. It is the stark opposite of Friday’s Mainstreet Research poll, which had Bailao as the runner-up behind Chow.

https://www.cp24.com/news/another-poll-shows-chow-leading-race-for-toronto-mayor-1.6407198

Olivia Chow continues to hold a commanding lead over the other candidates for Toronto mayor, according to a new poll released on Saturday morning.

Among decided voters surveyed by Liaison Strategies, Chow has 29 per cent of support. She leads in all city boroughs and age demographics. It is consistent with other recent polls by Mainstreet Research and Forum Research that also have Chow as the front-runner in the mayoral race. As a result, her rival candidates have tried to discredit her, especially during this week’s first major debate.

"Trend lines are always more important than any individual snapshot. The story of the election continues to be the steady gains by Olivia Chow week after week,” David Valentin, the principal at Liaison Strategies, said in a news release.

Chow is significantly ahead of Mark Saunders, who came in second with 17 per cent of support, according to the poll. He is followed by Mitzie Hunter, who saw an increase of three percentage points from last week’s poll, garnering 15 per cent support. Meanwhile, Matlow’s numbers continue to decline. Last week, he placed third with 15 per cent of support but has dropped to the fourth spot this week with 11 per cent.

Brad Bradford is fifth with 10 per cent of support, followed by Ana Bailao with eight per cent. It is the stark opposite of Friday’s Mainstreet Research poll, which had Bailao as the runner-up behind Chow.

https://www.cp24.com/news/another-poll-shows-chow-leading-race-for-toronto-mayor-1.6407198

From this poll, the standout discussion points are:

Bailao back down in single digits, so the 21% in the recent Mainstreet poll seems to be the outlier.

Mitzi......in the hunt? (groan, I know, I couldn't help myself) ...15% and 3rd overall. There is definitely a positive trendline around her campaign numbers.

Matlow sliding is not entirely a surprise in as much as the numbers of other candidates are rising and it has to come from somewhere.......he really has very little time to get a positive vibe around his campaign.

Bradford up to 10% seems a bit suspect to me, his campaign really seems to be floundering.

In the 2014 election (Tory, Ford, and Chow), the voter turnout was 54.67%. (45.33% "undecided")

In the 2018 election (Tory, Keesmatt), the voter turnout was 40.9%. (59.1% "undecided")

In the 2022 election (Tory, Penalosa), the voter turnout was 29.17%. (70.83% "undecided")

I'm assuming that this 2023 mayoralty by-election will have a large voter turnout.

Put it this way: out of all the pollsters, Mainstreet has *consistently* shown Bailao conspicuously higher than the rest, which they claim is due to the kind of weighting they do. So, while I wouldn't discount the likelihood that they're "onto something", there's still an element of cum grano salis about this...
Quito Maggi says it all here:

1684611051627.png

Back