News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 919     1 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

Let's judge Michael Ford on his own (few) merits, not his parents.
Well, admittedly, anyone who actually explicitly refers to Unca Doug as having been a drug dealer in the 80s is being a bit heavy-handed about it. (Not that the rumours *aren't* true; rather, it's about the way one handles said rumours.)

Eh. This particular rumor's almost certainly true. Let's face it, its hardly out of character for Dofo. And I think we all know how he'd treat rumors far less substantial than these if they happened to target a rival or an enemy or competitor...or anyone hapless enough to get in the way of something Ford wanted. Look at what he did to Patrick Brown, fer Chrissakes.

Green Party of Ontario out with a platform plank to double the size of the greenbelt:

From the above:

1649261137835.png

1649261160386.png

Needless to say, I would be happy to support this idea!

Green Party of Ontario out with a platform plank to double the size of the greenbelt:

From the above:

View attachment 390669

View attachment 390670

Can't say I'm against it either. We need density in existing areas and move towards the 15min city concept.

From the above:

View attachment 390669

View attachment 390670

A plan showing what areas he wants covered would be nice.

Progressive Conservative government promised in 2018 election to lower electricity bills by 12 per cent. They have about 16.3 per cent to go.

Average Ontario hydro bill up 4.3% over last 3 years — but government says it's reining in prices

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ont-hydro-bills-1.6353396
From link.

Ontario's Progressive Conservative government will not fulfill its 2018 election promise to lower electricity bills by 12 per cent, however the government says it's still making bills cheaper than they would have been under the plan of the former Liberal government.

A report on hydro bills released Wednesday by Ontario's Financial Accountability Office says from 2018 to 2021 the average ratepayer's bill increased by 4.3 per cent and will continue to increase by two per cent each year.

The FAO report says Ministry of Energy staff informed them that the government won't cut bills by 12 per cent from 2018 levels, but that it is meeting its commitment by making bills 12 per cent lower than they would have been under the former Liberal government's Fair Hydro Plan.

The Tories' election platform said they would lower electricity bills by 12 per cent by returning Hydro One dividend payments to families, paying for conservation programs out of general revenue, cancelling energy contracts and declaring a moratorium on new ones.

Energy Minister Todd Smith says in a statement that the FAO report confirms that bills will be 12 per cent lower than they would have been under the Liberal plan and the savings gap will only continue to increase.

The FAO report says that from 2020 to 2040, nine different energy and electricity subsidy programs will cost the province a total of $118.1 billion.

Del Duca also out w/campaign promises this morning, on the subject of women's equality.

Highlights would be:

- $10 before and after-school care

- A top-up of Federal Parental leave for those taking the maximum 18 months, raising the 33% income replacement rate to 55%

On the subject of the above, I'm all in favour of a higher income replacement rate for parental leave, but I'm far more concerned with the only 55% in the first 12 months than the lower sum later.

What's proposed above helps primarily upper-middle and high income households. Many low-income households can't make even 12 months at 55% work.

Del Duca also out w/campaign promises this morning, on the subject of women's equality.

Highlights would be:

- $10 before and after-school care

- A top-up of Federal Parental leave for those taking the maximum 18 months, raising the 33% income replacement rate to 55%

On the subject of the above, I'm all in favour of a higher income replacement rate for parental leave, but I'm far more concerned with the only 55% in the first 12 months than the lower sum later.

What's proposed above helps primarily upper-middle and high income households. Many low-income households can't make even 12 months at 55% work.

Exactly, I don't see why that isn't obvious to politicians. Effectively halving your income is a major disincentive to taking parental leave, so why would someone bother? It's a bit cruel actually. I'd like to see it in the 70-75% range.

Del Duca out w/another platform plank..............he would ban all handguns (presumably exempting police).....

This is an interesting take...........Ontario cannot 'criminalize' possession of specific firearms; criminal law being a federal thing.

However, the province should not face any legal impediment in making passing such a law in theory.

The question would be one of how the Federal permit system would work in that scenario.

Can you obtain a permit to own a weapon, when you reside in a province where doing so would violate the law.......

Hmmm

The precedent here is that Quebec was able to retain the long-gun registry, even when it was abolished nationally.

That establishes that provinces do have a right to regulate firearms within their borders.

Actual presser is here:

Del Duca out w/another platform plank..............he would ban all handguns (presumably exempting police).....

This is an interesting take...........Ontario cannot 'criminalize' possession of specific firearms; criminal law being a federal thing.

However, the province should not face any legal impediment in making passing such a law in theory.

The question would be one of how the Federal permit system would work in that scenario.

Can you obtain a permit to own a weapon, when you reside in a province where doing so would violate the law.......

Hmmm

The precedent here is that Quebec was able to retain the long-gun registry, even when it was abolished nationally.

That establishes that provinces do have a right to regulate firearms within their borders.

Actual presser is here:

Again with this liberal mentality that banning guns somehow fixes the issue when all it does is punish the law abiding gun owner.

How about he comes out with a proper plan to reduce the amount of illegal hand guns being smuggled into the province.

Back