• Amy Klobuchar

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Michael Bloomberg

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As for his VP, it's an important question. Bernie will likely have a second and perhaps fatal heart attack within the next 2-4 years. Warren might accept the role if she thinks Bernie might expire early and give her a shot. Basically that's the appeal of being Bernie's VP candidate, a chance to get to the presidency early, or at least in 2024.
Hilary Clinton of course, she never was able to live down her defeat by Trump.

Sanders unveils $1.5tn universal childcare plan ahead of South Carolina debate

You get a trillion! You get a trillion! Everyone gets a trillion!

Hilary Clinton of course, she never was able to live down her defeat by Trump.

You get a trillion! You get a trillion! Everyone gets a trillion!
Pull American military forces entirely out of the Middle East and Afghanistan and reduce military spending from 3.3% to a still above average 2.5% of GDP and you’ll find your trillion.

21ea7806cbbc4f868d23dd464d52d130_6.jpg

Cutting the military would also help make the United States greener.

The American military is the single largest polluter on the planet. After all, what do tanks, fighter jets, and transport vehicles run on?

They won't be scaled back though. Middle East countries cannot defend themselves and the US believes the bases are strategic

They won't be scaled back though. Middle East countries cannot defend themselves and the US believes the bases are strategic
Defend themselves from what? Each other, is the answer. I don't see why American taxpayers and their young adults should pay with their taxpayers and lives to keep the Arabs and Persians from fighting each other. And don't worry about Israel, they don't need America to defend themselves.

Defend themselves from what? Each other, is the answer. I don't see why American taxpayers and their young adults should pay with their taxpayers and lives to keep the Arabs and Persians from fighting each other.
Their problems will become our problems eventually.

And don't worry about Israel, they don't need America to defend themselves.
They absolutely cannot. They only exists because of the US.

Their problems will become our problems eventually.

While its certainly true than the U.S. has supplied them substantial military aid over the years.......

Israel has also fought and won, decisively, several military confrontations through the decades w/o outside troops.

They also have nuclear weapons at the one extreme; and at the other, mandatory military service which has provided every citizen basic military capability/availability.

I think its fair to assume they could hold their own against most or all military enemies for the immediate future.

I mean the Saudis for all their U.S. tech and firepower lost ground and a city to Houthis w/machine guns and pick-up trucks.

Not exactly a well-oiled machine.

None of the above should be mistaken for taking a position on broader middle-east politics though, merely a factual observation of current military capability.

That said...............while I favour the US removing itself from many military conflicts around the world; and cutting back its vast base count..................

It would be entirely unrealistic to suggest that instantly gets one Trillions.

The total US defense budget is in the range of 900B per year.

A reduction of 25% would save you around 200B per year.

US pols are quite fond of 10-year costings, in which case that does get you 2T over the decade.

However, when one consider the US already has a 1T deficit at the federal level; not including unfunded liabilities; and that there are multiple possible programs being discussed which collectively cost a lot more than 1T over 10 years; one would still
have some distance to go to address the funding question.

Yet, that hardly means these are bad promises per se; if likely politically unrealistic when taken cumulatively.

If the U.S scaled back military expenditures over10 years by 25%
Implemented a national HST of 5%
Eliminated many corporate tax shelters, and modestly raised corporate rates by 2%
Eliminated Mortgage Interest Deductibility
And fully taxed Capital Gains and stock options

They could reasonably fund robust universal healthcare, some other social program expansion, reduced taxes on low-income earners, and still balance the budget.

On the other hand; that would still be a remarkable feat to get through Congress.

They exist because they defeated all comers in the wars of 1948, 67, 73 and 82 and ongoing uprisings and will nuke any nation that comes close to invading them. Israel's 8 million people spend US $20 billion on their military annually, about the same as Canada's 38 million. Of course Israel is willing to take foreign aid, in 2019 according to Wikipedia the US provided US$3.8 billion in foreign aid to Israel. But that's less foreign aid than the US gives to Iraq or Afghanistan, with the latter receiving almost twice the foreign aid of Israel.

To make such an absolute assertion that Israel ONLY exists because of the US is ridiculous. I've been to Israel, the place is like Sparta, with every adult ready to serve. If the US stopped giving foreign aid to Israel I can see two things happening, the Jewish lobby in the USA would campaign to toss out the POTUS and Israel would start looking for a new friend, likely Russia. That's why the USA needs Israel, not the other way round.

If the US pulled out of supporting Israel, the country would be impacted significantly. US support, financially, diplomatically, and strategically, are a fundamental pillar of it's national security.
To act as if they are not entirely dependent on the Americans support is willful ignorance.

Sanders unveils $1.5tn universal childcare plan ahead of South Carolina debate
That was an interesting debate to watch. I'd say definitely Sanders is still in the lead coming up to Super Tuesday.

The problem.... Trump will destroy Sanders in November. If Trump wins, I, like many will wash my hands of the USA. The future must look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Bernie hard left ideas will kill his chances in Arizona, FL, NC and similar states.

However, he could then open up the Rust Belt.

Bernie Sanders: 18 things the Democratic front-runner believes

27 February 2020

Bernie Sanders is the national frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination. The Vermont senator has promised a political revolution, but what does that mean? What does he actually stand for?

Back