News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

If development was such a light thing, then wouldn't the Relief Line have the greatest potential? Development proposals in Scarborough Centre or Vaughan Metropolitan Centre won't be as large as those in the Downtown Core and Queen St. It's 20-40 stories vs 70-90 stories.

If development was such a light thing, then wouldn't the Relief Line have the greatest potential? Development proposals in Scarborough Centre or Vaughan Metropolitan Centre won't be as large as those in the Downtown Core and Queen St. It's 20-40 stories vs 70-90 stories.
You forget, the developers who own the land around Vaughan Centre station will use the subway as justification to building high-rise condominiums, on land that they've owned for years. That land is worth a fraction of what land downtown would cost for them to purchase and assemble at today's prices.

Nonsense like this only feeds the sense of isolation in those parts. You are painting them as the other. And for what? Because you don't agree with their choice of mayor?
Absolutely not. There's a difference between not agreeing with someone's choice of mayor, and making fun of them because they support a racist drug-dealer.

You can be respectful while disagreeing with the politics of others. It's incredible that a grown man has to be told this. Do you teach your kids to name call too?
No.

No ... you don't respect racists or anti-gay bigots.. Never. Not once.

Do you tech your children to respect corrupt druggies? Or do you tech them to show them the lack of respect that they deserve.

I don't like that Scarberia and Etobicrack supported Doug Ford in 2014 - but I'm not going to refrain from calling a spade a spade.

Are those two northern ridings going ahead?
Yes.

It seems almost corrupt that the governing party is allowed to add new ridings on a whim less than a year before the election. The other ridings were based on an ongoing process of seat redistribution based on changing population.
Hang on. The principle that Northern Ontario needs extra ridings because of their size isn't new.

Southern Ontario got an 18% increase in riding from 96 to 113. Northern Ontario got a 18% increase in ridings from 11 to 13.

The northern ones where purely decided by the Liberals.
Explain how the Far North Electoral Boundaries Commission is nothing but the Liberals?

The two riding's that were split were Kenora-Rainy River and Timmins-James Bay, which are both NDP strongholds. Does that sound like what a Liberal conspiracy would do?

They were both massive ridings - far bigger than any other riding in Northern Ontario, and bigger than many provinces.

Maybe if the PC's get in they can divide Grey, Bruce, Huron and Simcoe into 200 ridings and they would win a majority every time. :)
Maybe if the PC's would stop having sex with teenagers, trying to get rid of public holidays, eliminate 100,000 teachers and nurses, create Muslim schoolboards, or put forward racist and bigots like Doug Ford, Sam Oosterhoff, or Randy Hillier they'd win every election like they used to ...

@Juan_Lennon416 Yeah, that's how you get a Ford elected. No desire to look into and try to understand why someone would vote for them. That's not to condone what they do or say, but it's no way to engage with your fellow citizens. Not to mention there is plenty of garbage coming from the left as well, and arguably, that contributed to Ford being elected.

@Juan_Lennon416 Yeah, that's how you get a Ford elected. No desire to look into and try to understand why someone would vote for them. That's not to condone what they do or say, but it's no way to engage with your fellow citizens. Not to mention there is plenty of garbage coming from the left as well, and arguably, that contributed to Ford being elected.

If one's response to supposed slights is to vote for a non-performing crackhead as a FU- the choice is entirely on the one casting the vote (and it isn't like no one knew his history beforehand). In fact, doing so may actually validates these beliefs.

It is like someone voting for Trump believing he is anything but snake oil.

AoD

The bigotry coming from the left in recent years is beyond insults. I'm not a fan of Trump or Ford, but I quite dislike the people protesting him as well. I believe this is the position of many moderates in our country today.

The bigotry coming from the left in recent years is beyond insults. I'm not a fan of Trump or Ford, but I quite dislike the people protesting him as well. I believe this is the position of many moderates in our country today.

Moderates are happy with someone "normal" who can govern with moderation, be it of centre left or centre right - and Ford ain't it.

AoD

This is a very rarefied crowd. No one reading these threads should forget that.

Each person here is imbued with a certain capacity to think critically as a result of their life experience, education and maybe just the luck to have been born in Canada. I include that last thought because that might mean one has more than a passing familiarity with English, Canadian schools and free media.

We live in a world where there are many people who lack that ability (or the confidence to express their thoughts) or whose critical thinking is not as well developed.

The election of Rob Ford was a direct result of very high-handed language and thinking from the left as @Neutrino points out. Rob Ford spoke in a manner that connected with people. I am not a Ford Nation person. But I absolutely loathed how I felt talked down to by David Miller. He was a smarty pants. He knew it. And he and his confidantes made sure we all knew how smart and capable he was. In fact, he knew better than us if we'd only trust him. Dalton McGuinty reeked of the same to me. Hearing him speak made me cringe.

For all the criticism of Justin Trudeau - who has had all the blessings in life - he is far less of an aristocrat than his father. (Or he is a more modern man as you would expect.) Similarly, Caroline Mulroney is a more modern woman than her father.

The fastest way to a RODOFO repeat is to put forward arrogant candidates. Electors will look past faults, even grave ones, like crack smoking, not releasing your tax returns, money laundering or collaborating with Russians. Can Trump happen here? Absolutely. Should Mrs. Wynne be concerned about the perception that money grows on trees for Liberals? Absolutely.

I would be forming a 'grand coalition' in Toronto and avoiding and left/right nonsense with a consensus candidate like John Tory the same way French politicians circled the wagons when Marine Le Pen looked close to victory. Lighting does strike. And it also strikes twice.

The election of Doug Ford in any capacity as a public official in Canada would be disastrous for Toronto, Ontario and Canada. That is what we should be focused on.

I would be forming a 'grand coalition' in Toronto and avoiding and left/right nonsense with a consensus candidate like John Tory the same way French politicians circled the wagons when Marine Le Pen looked close to victory. Lighting does strike. And it also strikes twice.
The election of Doug Ford in any capacity as a public official in Canada would be disastrous for Toronto, Ontario and Canada. That is what we should be focused on.

I do agree with this - it's a choice between sane and insane - and that transcend politics.

AoD

Moderates are happy with someone "normal" who can govern with moderation, be it of centre left or centre right - and Ford ain't it.

AoD

Agreed; my point is that supposed apologia for Trump and Ford comes from a place of being fed up with excesses on the left.

Back