News   Jul 16, 2024
 354     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

It's supposed to magnify the most popular choice so it's easier for a mass brokerage party to govern. It's not meant to let an unpopular group split public opinion and sneak up the middle.

It's supposed to magnify minority rule which it does very well. Great system. I can think of some Afrikaaners who reckon it's a beaut.

So the Globe and Mail's endorsement was a bit of a cop out but not a cop out: vote for whoever in your riding is the best candidate to be able to hold the government to account (lol in the case of members of the governing party) because in any case the government is going to be a joke. Paraphrased, obviously.

A letter to the editor from today (this one's for you @steveintoronto, though you've probably already read it):

The choice in Ontario seems to be bad, worse or worst. Since coming here 50 years ago, I've always voted Progressive Conservative. But not this time, not with Doug Ford. So my choices are: don't vote; refuse my ballot; vote for a party other than the three main ones. I don't like the first two options, so what other party might I vote for?
In my research
[ @Northern Light , this bit is for you], I found the Green Party's claims fiscally responsible and socially progressive. Doesn't that sound like the PC Party as we used to know it?
Many, but by no means all, of the Green Party's proposals lean toward dealing with climate change, something all parties must deal with. The Greens' platform makes as much sense as the other platforms; its costing produces smaller deficits. (The PC deficit is, of course, unknown but everything suggests it will be substantial, perhaps bigger than the NDP's or Liberals'). I am now persuaded to vote Green.
Why has the media ignored the party even though it appears to be a reasonable alternative?
Peter Hirst

Oakville, Ontario

That's a great fucking question, Peter!
If I may be so bold as to answer it for you, Mr Hirst: It's because people are generally afraid of meaningful change. Basic human psychology, mate.

Check out the replies.

Never mind that, check out the prediction: 39% wins!

Fuck, I could have used that sort of maths in some high school classes.....you know, the ones I decided I wasn't going to participate in. 39% Pass!

I will never get over the stupidity of this electoral system.

Enjoy!

I'm hoping all these predictions of PC victory push the undecided voters towards the NDP.

If this was a Christine Elliot led PC party with a sensible plan I wouldn't really mind them winning even if they weren't my first choice.

Handing Doug Ford a majority means 4 years down the drain - just like we experienced in City Hall.

Handing Doug Ford a majority means 4 years down the drain - just like we experienced in City Hall.

You reckon?

One of the oft-touted benefits of our electoral system is that members of the legislature are able to stand for their constituents and hold the government to account.

Of course, I've never seen this in practice. Imagine, a PC caucus revolt against the government (the government, by the way, being separate from the legislature and its members).

I don't know.....we can dream of a revolt.

Or.....isn't something like 1/4 of the PC candidature currently involved in some sort of fiasco or other? Maybe they'll just be dropping like flies upon entering Queens Park.

I still don't think my life will be any different so I'm not sure there's need to stress. It isn't healthy.

On the other hand a low turn out would in my opinion favour the PCs. To the extent that anger against the Liberal government remains a dominate theme I think it benefits the PC's more than the NDP. To the extent the electorate is pissed off and to the extent the electorate is turned-off from voting these factors favour the PC's in my opinion.

Actually, post-Renatagate, who knows. I know of at least one report of a lifelong Con for whom the Renata suit's a "last straw"; and with neither Lib nor NDP palatable, that'll mean a declined ballot or a no-show...

You reckon?

One of the oft-touted benefits of our electoral system is that members of the legislature are able to stand for their constituents and hold the government to account.

Of course, I've never seen this in practice. Imagine, a PC caucus revolt against the government (the government, by the way, being separate from the legislature and its members).

I don't know.....we can dream of a revolt.

Or.....isn't something like 1/4 of the PC candidature currently involved in some sort of fiasco or other? Maybe they'll just be dropping like flies upon entering Queens Park.

I still don't think my life will be any different so I'm not sure there's need to stress. It isn't healthy.
I thought of the scenario where the PC's win a majority, but Ford loses his seat.

Would someone step aside for Ford to run in an immediate by-election. It couldn't be someone from Toronto, or maybe even the immediate GTA, since there would be the risk of losing that by-election as well. The scenario along your lines would be to try and replace the leader at that time. My reading of the PC constitution says that a leadership review can only be triggered if they don't form government. Thus, this could not be done, unless they somehow first revise the constitution. I could see some interesting politics occur in this scenario.

I thought of the scenario where the PC's win a majority, but Ford loses his seat.

Would someone step aside for Ford to run in an immediate by-election. It couldn't be someone from Toronto, or maybe even the immediate GTA, since there would be the risk of losing that by-election as well. The scenario along your lines would be to try and replace the leader at that time. My reading of the PC constitution says that a leadership review can only be triggered if they don't form government. Thus, this could not be done, unless they somehow first revise the constitution. I could see some interesting politics occur in this scenario.
Oh I am praying for that result at this point.

I don't think the PC party would allow a constitution get in the way of replacing a riding-less Ford as leader, especially in a majority government scenario. A coup within the party will take place (all those plotters and backstabbers around months ago to depose Brown can't have just disappeared) and the elected MPPs will jump to be a part of the coup-plotters potential cabinet and therefore play ball.

Plus it isn't like the PC constitution has mattered for much in recent months anyway. Last I remember, the party's platform must be passed by a vote of the party caucus, and Doug Ford's platform for this election has done no such thing.

Back