News   Jul 16, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 545     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Likewise, the Liberals have not governed to the hard left; they have run to the left of an ever more centrist NDP.

They did out-flank the NDP on the left in the 2014 election and in the last year especially they've governed NDP-ish. But Wynne seems to be (unintentionally) telling people that if you like the way she's been governing in the last year or so, you should vote NDP. Most of her pitch in the last few weeks (the NDP are rabid ideologues that'll cause strikes and hand the keys over to the unions etc.) seems to be aimed at winning back "blue" Liberals. She's sounding like David Peterson in 1990.

They did out-flank the NDP on the left in the 2014 election and in the last year especially they've governed NDP-ish. But Wynne seems to be (unintentionally) telling people that if you like the way she's been governing in the last year or so, you should vote NDP. Most of her pitch in the last few weeks (the NDP are rabid ideologues that'll cause strikes and hand the keys over to the unions etc.) seems to be aimed at winning back "blue" Liberals. She's sounding like David Peterson in 1990.

Kim Campbell once stated "Campaigns are no time to discuss policy," and it very apparent this election. I can't think of a recent campaign where there was so little discussion about policy. This seems purely a referendum on Wynne and whether or not you like the folksy populism of Horwath or Ford.

While I agree that the NDP smartly moved back to the left after a failed centrist campaign in 2014, I don't think that is what is drawing people to Horwath. She looks confident, speaks well and comes off as passionate. With voters tired of fifteen years of the Wynne Liberals, she is the default option for many.

Kim Campbell once stated "Campaigns are no time to discuss policy," and it very apparent this election. I can't think of a recent campaign where there was so little discussion about policy. This seems purely a referendum on Wynne and whether or not you like the folksy populism of Horwath or Ford.

While I agree that the NDP smartly moved back to the left after a failed centrist campaign in 2014, I don't think that is what is drawing people to Horwath. She looks confident, speaks well and comes off as passionate. With voters tired of fifteen years of the Wynne Liberals, she is the default option for many.
Totally disagree. Horwath speaks terribly and without any passion at all. The move to the left did help swing Liberal voters like myself who thought the NDP were frauds with their central platform in the last election. If they had the same platform I would probably continue to vote for the Liberals or not vote at all. If the PCs had a decent moral candidate I would have voted that way if the NDP were still presenting a central platform. The fact that the NDP is essentially the Liberals with a different leader is why I voted for them. But I have yet to hear anyone say that Horwath is a good speaker.

I read the NDP platform. I agree it is not really that bad on paper. As a student, it would actually benefit me the most personally.

But this brings us to an honest question, especially on the minds of nominally Liberal voters heading into this election. How much weight should be placed on gut feeling versus on election platform.

I don't trust the NDP to govern to their platform, especially in a majority government, I'm not afraid to admit. Neither do I trust them to favour prudency over ideology when it matters, especially in this day and age. I see elements on the left veering towards populism as hard as the right on this continent, and just because it isn't reflective in their election platform doesn't mean it isn't there amongst the would-be policy makers we might be about to elect.

I don't want Ford to win, but I'm not looking at the prospect of an NDP government with glee. I concur with @TrickyRicky in that the best thing for the province is a return to the reasonable centre.

I read the NDP platform. I agree it is not really that bad on paper. As a student, it would actually benefit me the most personally.

But this brings us to an honest question, especially on the minds of nominally Liberal voters heading into this election. How much weight should be placed on gut feeling versus on election platform.

I don't trust the NDP to govern to their platform, especially in a majority government, I'm not afraid to admit. Neither do I trust them to favour prudency over ideology when it matters, especially in this day and age. I see elements on the left veering towards populism as hard as the right on this continent, and just because it isn't reflective in their election platform doesn't mean it isn't there amongst the would-be policy makers we might be about to elect.

I don't want Ford to win, but I'm not looking at the prospect of an NDP government with glee. I concur with @TrickyRicky in that the best thing for the province is a return to the reasonable centre.

Fair, but if there is one thing I trust it would be that they will observe long-standing political customs - customs that are essential for the long-term stability and continuity of the broader political system. I don't think I can count on any government lead by Doug Ford to do the same given his previous record and his behaviour during the campaign. The PC party mechanisms has already proven inadequate a check on his machinations - I am not sure if the safeguards of government will prove up to the task either.

AoD

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that there's significantly less lawn signage this election? Practically in my area I've only seen a few Conservative signs along with two NDP signs. No Liberal signage at all! I'm under the impression that the Liberals have raised the white flag for Thornhill Vaughan for this election.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that there's significantly less lawn signage this election? Practically in my area I've only seen a few Conservative signs along with two NDP signs. No Liberal signage at all! I'm under the impression that the Liberals have raised the white flag for Thornhill Vaughan for this election.

I have noticed this too.

I think they have changed the election donation laws which might be part of the reason.

I was thinking exactly the same thing today.

Don't be Sorry. Hating Fascism is never something for which an apology is required.

hahaa...I wasn't apologising for hating fascism. I was apologising for wigging out.

I hate all authoritarian ideologies and I'll never apologise for that. They can all suck their ******.

In fact, today I'm laughing at the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa for moaning about not being able to buy Aecon.

Back