News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I would like to see Michael Chong put his name forward for leadership, personally.

I'm a Liberal supporter, but i could vote for him. He's one of the most centered candidates in the PC's But he is a man. This is politics 2018, all a woman has to do is accuse a him publicly or via social media, and it's instant vilification. You are never truly innocent, the court of public opinion will find you guilty over the accusations. Christine Elliott would be the best pick for the PC's right now.

Be honest, what the Tories do in the next few days will determine the fate of Wynne.

There is a lot of voters out there who want to vote her out and were not happy with Brown.

I actually think the liberals would prefer to have Brown in an election than a female Tory.

So with the PCs virtually out of the picture, or at least looking that way, the question that is the thread title is still valid -- can Premier Wynne win? In what may be a 2 party race, can the NDP defeat the Liberals?

The issue is I don think the 35% of Tory voters are going to go for the Liberals...so The Tories can still win the election as new leader will be a huge monkey wrench into the Liberals plan for relection as well.

I also don’t think a lot of Tories will move to the liberals, which is why I asked about Horvath’s NDP. Much will depend on who is chosen as PC leader.

Last edited:
This all depends on the PC party being able to remain a cohesive group. One thing Brown did manage to do relatively well was keep a lid on the social conservative wing of the party. If they try to make a play for power here, things could get messy. If they manage to stay the course and put a red Tory in his place then I think the Liberals are in trouble.

As someone who has been wrongfully arrested and held in jail based on the word of someone else I absolutely hate the rubbish court of public opinion based on hearsay which is what these accusations are at this point. I will never defend anyone guilty of the alleged crimes as I have had too many people close to me fall victim to such vile behaviour (I will not get into it here as it is far worse than Brown's alleged improprieties and crimes) and so stand against it from a point of experience as well as sense of morality and decency. However, the court of public opinion isn't worthy of passing judgments and it never will be. (Sorry, had to get this off my chest. It vexes me.)

Aaaaanyway... I actually think this will help the PCs. Brown was a poor leader and seemed to have the party at a certain level of internal strife. If they choose a new leader wisely I think they can not only salvage the election but do better than they would have if none of this had come to pass.

I'm actually stoked to see who they pick as their new leader.
This is a really shitty thing to have happneed to make the election more interesting.

....and if Chong becomes leader magically, I may be tempted to vote for a party that gets any seats, for the first time ever. Finally my voice will also count.

Last edited:
Be honest, what the Tories do in the next few days will determine the fate of Wynne.

There is a lot of voters out there who want to vote her out and were not happy with Brown.

I actually think the liberals would prefer to have Brown in an election than a female Tory.

Probably...but it really depends on how deep this runs. Do more allegations come out? What if others in the party were aware of the allegations?

No matter who they pick, I don't think the problem is going away anytime soon.

I heard a rumor that the Liberals were sitting on this story for use in May. The PC's caught wind of it and pulled the plug on their own, in order to have time to recover.

So, what you're saying is that if the alleged incidents did occur, the victims are being used as pawns in a political game on top of everything else?

Lovely.

I heard a rumor that the Liberals were sitting on this story for use in May. The PC's caught wind of it and pulled the plug on their own, in order to have time to recover.

So, what you're saying is that if the alleged incidents did occur, the victims are being used as pawns in a political game on top of everything else?

Lovely.

I cant find them now, but last night I read some tweets posted a month or so ago where someone was taunting PB about just waiting till the fathers of the young girls respond to the news that going to be released soon. Not the exact words but around those lines. Its also very random that you get 2 girls from incidents years ago coming forwarded at the exact same time unless this wasn't somewhat planned to be exposed. I would assume the Liberals would have wanted to delay the news as well.

Last edited:
So, if the alleged incidents did occur then we have people using the victims as pawns and if they did not occur then we have people using grimy allegations as political tools.

Great. Glad to be breathing the same air.

I think the kids would say something like smh at this point.

So, if the alleged incidents did occur then we have people using the victims as pawns and if they did not occur then we have people using grimy allegations as political tools.

Great. Glad to be breathing the same air.

I think the kids would say something like smh at this point.
Don't think anything proves whether incident occurred or not at this point. Whether is occurred, of course they were used as pawns.

Are you suggesting that the Liberals were using them as pawns by keeping them quiet until it was advantageous to them, or the PC's were using them as pawns by tipping the press off in advance. Or were they used as pawns by the media to get a story.

Looks like Horwath is the only one who's clean

I'm not implicating anyone. I'm only going by what I've read here and it's all looking crass af.

I'm not a Liberal, Conservative, or an New Democrat and have never voted for any of the three in any election so I don't really care about political implications resulting from this insofar as my personal politics are involved.

Will people trust an NDP government again?
Between Andrea Horwath, Howard Hampton, and Bob Rae I feel as though Horwath is the saint between the 3 of them and she doesn't seem to be lying through her teeth. Hampton was never a trustworthy leader at least through my eyes.

In the best of all worlds, i'd rather have a Liberal party or government led by Horwath, than one led by Wynne. Essentially, anyone asides from Wynne, Del Duca and Hoskins would be a much better leader for the Liberals. We have a situation here where Wynne will essentially win the election by default unless Horwath can mount a fierce campaign.

Back