News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 375     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I don't think Mulroney will be eligible.

They will be selecting the leader from a sitting MPP.
It's a partially valid point. But here's the thing, do they want to get elected or not? I have immense respect for Chong, but like Paul Martin, he lacks the ability to swing a mace as leader.

We're going to be hearing and reading a lot more on this. Ontario, by population, is a very *urban* entity. A leader must reflect that. Nuff on that for now:
Out-of-caucus contenders

Caroline Mulroney

20414326_1424147034333815_2356707826093597086_o-jpg.jpg

The daughter of Canada’s 18th Prime Minister was acclaimed as the PC candidate for York—Simcoe in September and was widely seen as injecting some star power in the run-up to the 2018 provincial election. She worked as a lawyer and hedge fund manager before entering politics. Mulroney has already drawn a Twitter endorsement from Alberta Conservative MP Michelle Rempel.

https://twitter.com/C_Mulroney/status/956417173999648768
Caroline Mulroney@C_Mulroney

My statement: #onpoli

1:43 AM - Jan 25, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/956428400255680512
Michelle Rempel

✔@MichelleRempel

Ditto what she said (below).
Also, given the severity of what’s occurred, normally there would be space between the breaking of this issue and what I’m about to say, but from what I hear the wheels to replace Patrick are already in motion. Given that, Caroline should consider it. https://twitter.com/c_mulroney/status/956417173999648768 …

2:27 AM - Jan 25, 2018
"Pedigree" does count!

lol...you exactly make my point. Now start dissing men for voting for her for "her looks". Of course, that wasn't a huge problem when Justin won a large female vote based on that and his acclaimed "Feminism".

Nope, that's a leap you have made, not me. I didn't suggest men are voting her for her looks, I am suggesting that she has a head start on the basis of name recognition, and that other female candidates doesn't have that benefit necessarily, in the context of representation in the political system.

AoD

So with the PCs virtually out of the picture, or at least looking that way, the question that is the thread title is still valid -- can Premier Wynne win? In what may be a 2 party race, can the NDP defeat the Liberals?

That rules out Chong, Mulroney, O'Leary, Ford, Elliot and most other names that would be recognizable to the electorate 5 months before an election.

The Progressive Conservative Party’s rules really cornered them in here. Had they permitted nominating an outsider, I think that Mulroney, in these particular circumstances, would have been a force to be reckoned with. She’s smart, charismatic a rising star in the party and she approached the accusations perfectly backing the victims.

With the existing slate in PC caucus, they don’t have much choice for a recognizable name with charisma that can also distance the party from these accusations. Anybody recognizable is attached to Brown and worse, Brown himself is still running for re-election as an MPP so he’ll remain in the spotlight, dragging his party down during the entire campaign.

I like Wynne’s odds right now.

Nope, that's a leap you have made, not me. I didn't suggest men are voting her for her looks, I am suggesting that she has a head start on the basis of name recognition, and that other female candidates doesn't have that benefit necessarily, in the context of representation in the political system.

AoD
"I didn't suggest men are voting her for her looks," I did. And they will. Just as it was a factor for many women voting for Justin. It's a huge factor in electibility. You'll notice that the term "creepy" was used prior by one of your cohorts in describing Brown.

So Mulroney has a solid background in politics, law and business? So why is that a problem? Because she's a *woman*?

Not only would she get my vote, I'd espouse others to do same. Wynne, if she wins, will do so by default, not choice. Mulroney is *by far* the most able candidate to defeat her. And ring in a new reality to the Backwater QP Cons. She'll be a page from the past in more than one way.

Reactions: jys
"The election is in June... unless the Liberals drop the writ earlier. What’s the possibility that the liberals call an election early before the PCs can reorganize the party?"

As little as I care for the Liberals right now, I have to ask: If the positions of the two parties were reversed at the moment, and the Libs were an opposition party reeling from just such a scandal, does anyone think the PCs would pass up this kind of an advantage? And if they did call an election early in this hypothetical situation, would their own voting base view this as sleazy and unfair? Or would they applaud the ruthlessness required for such a move?

So Mulroney has a solid background in politics, law and business? So why is that a problem? Because she's a *woman*?

Nice try but no. She doesn't even have a seat in the legislature at this point - I don't think it appropriate to parachute someone in under any circumstance regardless of their gender - much less potential premiership.

AoD

"I didn't suggest men are voting her for her looks," I did. And they will. Just as it was a factor for many women voting for Justin. It's a huge factor in electibility. You'll notice that the term "creepy" was used prior by one of your cohorts in describing Brown.
I said he was creepy but not because of his looks. It's a vibe I have always got from him.

The Progressive Conservative Party’s rules really cornered them in here. Had they permitted nominating an outsider, I think that Mulroney, in these particular circumstances, would have been a force to be reckoned with. She’s smart, charismatic a rising star in the party and she approached the accusations perfectly backing the victims.

With the existing slate in PC caucus, they don’t have much choice for a recognizable name with charisma that can also distance the party from these accusations. Anybody recognizable is attached to Brown and worse, Brown himself is still running for re-election as an MPP so he’ll remain in the spotlight, dragging his party down during the entire campaign.

I like Wynne’s odds right now.
Is it too late for them to change/amend the rules for this election?

I mean, you'd like to think that's the no brainer thing to do... I doubt their members would disagree with that under these special circumstances

Statement

Statement from Premier Kathleen Wynne
January 25, 2018

Premier Kathleen Wynne made the following statement today:

"I first want to say that the young women who have shared their experiences are very brave. It was very courageous for them to step forward. In my heart, I hope that they are finding the supports that they need now. They did a very difficult thing, and they've been carrying this for years. There's an impact to them. I hope they are safe. I hope they are surrounded by loved ones today.

When I heard these allegations, I was shocked. And when I came to work this morning, I wanted to talk to people around the province who are reading this news and wondering what is going on.

I know there are many like me -- people who are outraged and saddened that in 2018 we are still struggling to come to terms with the prevalence of sexual harassment and assault in our society. There are people in their living rooms, at their workplaces, reading the newspaper or listening to the radio. There are young people seeing the news on their iPhones and their devices.

There are obviously lots of questions that are going to come forward in the days ahead. Right now, I am thinking about this in my role as a mother, as a daughter, as a leader. It is really important that we understand how deeply troubling these behaviours are to human beings -- to people.

There are parents all over the province who sit on the edge of their kids' beds at night, and they talk about and try to sort through what's going on in the schoolyard or what happened on a date -- and how to handle those situations. Those are the real questions. That's why I wanted to make a statement this morning about the role we all must play in figuring this out as a society.

We have to sort this out together. We have to take responsibility. We have to be vigilant.

But we can't just assume that people coming forward will change everything. That alone is not going to create the change that we need to see. We all have to be vigilant, and we have to shine a light in all parts of our lives to create those safe places that we know are possible.

At Queen's Park, we've worked very hard to put training in place, and make sure that there are procedures and that everybody knows what those procedures are. But I think what we need to understand today is that even as we've made big changes in this province and put in place new laws and rules, it's still not enough. There's still more that we have to do. When we brought out the policy on sexual assault and violence, it was called 'It's Never Okay.' And on the last page of that action plan it said 'To be continued,' because we knew in our hearts that there was going to be more to do.

Today I stand with all of the people, all over the province, who are trying to create those safe places. I recognize that I am in this with so many people. We all have a responsibility, and will continue to work together to create that safety for you -- whoever you are, and wherever you are in Ontario."

I mean, you'd like to think that's the no brainer thing to do... I doubt their members would disagree with that under these special circumstances

Given the existing faultlines within the party, opening up those rules 5 months before an election could be a potential can of worms.

AoD

Last edited:

A party's leadership related rules are typically dictated by a party's constitution.

That document, normally, can only be amended by a convention or vote of the membership at large.

All this talk from multiple posters caused me to do some research. Here we go.

The PC Party's Constitution is linked here:

http://www.ontariopc.com/partybanner/52940PCPartyofOntarioConstitution2016.pdf

Relevant Sections:

ARTICLE 23 - INTERIM LEADER
23.1 Upon the death, retirement or resignat
ion of the Leader, and until the completion
of the leadership election, the Caucus shall elect
an interim Leader who shall be
recognized as the Leader by the Party.

23.2 If the Caucus is unable to select an interim
Leader in the circumstances described in paragraph
23.1, a joint meeting of the Caucus and the Executive
shall make such selection.

ARTICLE 24 - LEADERSHIP REVIEW
24.1 At the first general meeting of the Party
following an Ontario general election in
which the Caucus does not form the
Government of Ontario, and only
at such meeting, the delegates
shall be asked by secret ballot: "Do you wish
to have a leadership election?"

24.2 In the event that more than 50% of the
votes cast are in the affirmative, the
Executive shall call a leadership election and
such election shall occur at the
earliest convenient date
as determined by the Executive.

ARTICLE 25 - LEADERSHIP ELECTION

- see link (this one is longer and I don't have time to fiddle w/the formatting)

ARTICLE 29 - AMENDMENTS

- see link (this one is longer and I don't have time to fiddle w/the formatting)

Back