News   Aug 13, 2024
 386     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 552     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2015 Federal Election

That is just the amount of people who know which party they are voting for. There are still 20% or so of people who haven't made up their mind and others who would be considered "soft" supporters.

Last edited:
That is just the amount of people who know which party they are voting for. There are still 20% or so of people who haven't made up their mind and others who would be considered "soft" supporters.
Sure....but polls just measure who is declaring support for who.....and the Tories are trending in a different direction than the others.

It's sad that racism is changing the direction of support in this election. I have to say, I'm embarrassed by this country right now.

It's sad that racism is changing the direction of support in this election. I have to say, I'm embarrassed by this country right now.

Yeah, between the niqab debate (which I really couldn't care less about) and Bill C-24 (which is now being used to deport a Canadian-born and raised citizen to Pakistan, a country he's never been to), Canada's becoming a much more unforgiving place.

My family just received another set of voter information cards, this time showing a different location to vote. Actually, my brother didn't get his card last time, and he received both cards together today, each card saying to vote at different locations.

I think the old cards said to vote at St. Joseph Secondary School, the new cards say to vote at St. Gregory Separate School. But I'm not sure, I think I got them mixed up. This is for riding Mississauga-Malton. It seems like yet another attempt by Conservatives to suppress the vote. Kinda sad what Canada has become, that's all I have to say.

My family just received another set of voter information cards, this time showing a different location to vote. Actually, my brother didn't get his card last time, and he received both cards together today, each card saying to vote at different locations.

I think the old cards said to vote at St. Joseph Secondary School, the new cards say to vote at St. Gregory Separate School. But I'm not sure, I think I got them mixed up. This is for riding Mississauga-Malton. It seems like yet another attempt by Conservatives to suppress the vote. Kinda sad what Canada has become, that's all I have to say.
Are they both official Elections Canada voter registration cards? If so your accusation of Conservatives suppressing votes is a very serious one......EC is supposed to be a non partisan/independent board...if they are issuing false and confusing voter cards under the direction of one party then you are not only questioning your own cards you are casting a doubt over the integrity of this entire election......I would think you would want to be fairly certain it was what you are suggesting and not some simpler explanation (example might be "the first school we told you to vote at is no longer available so we are asking you to vote at another location")....but, sure, it could be automatically an example of Conservative voter suppression ;)

Funny. My parents live right by St. Greg's, yet their polling station is Whitehorn, all the way down by St. Joes.

So? Neither is the hijab - there is no requirement until now for anyone to dress in a certain way for citizenship ceremony, why create a special category?

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...e-naked-to-citizenship-ceremony-siddiqui.html

It's much to do about nothing - and besides, judge by actions, not dress.

It doesn't matter whether they are law-abiding or not - it's whether they are citizens. You don't decide whether to strip someone of it just because they have another passport, because then you would have created two classes of citizenship. If one is so concerned about the issue, the country should have prohibited dual-citizenship in the first place.

Besides, why stop there? Do we strip those who committed murder of their Canadian citizenship, even if they have say, an EU passport by birthright? We don't, even though the crime is henious. So why start these special categories that can't be equally applied to all now? Also, it's not like you strip it because they've lied when they applied for citizenship, in which case the basis for which becomes invalid.

Citizenship is a two way street - upon conferring it, the state have a responsibility - and it's theirs alone - for dealing with citizens who doesn't act in accordance with the law.

AoD
What about Nazi war criminals that were stripped of their citizenship after being revealed? I'm sure you wouldn't argue against it so would you argue that it was because a) they lied upon their citizenship application or b) those crimes were committed in the past before their application? If that was the case could we strip Islamic extremists of their citizenship if they committed crimes or were affiliated with terrorist organizations in past or are the Nazi cases an exception for political reasons?

The only reason citizenship should be revoked is if it was obtained fraudulently, which means you lied or misled on your citizenship application, i.e. this document https://www.pdffiller.com/en/project/42896979.htm?form_id=15185598

Nazi war criminals, foreign born terrorists, gold toothed gangstas who arrived as infants, etc. who did not mislead on their application are ours for keeps. That doesn't mean we can't extradite them for crimes they committed in other countries.

Back