News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

2015 Federal Election

Article quotes my friend Laurie Adkin. I think the NDP could possibly win three more seats in Edmonton and the Liberals could possibly win some a seat or two in Calgary. But vote-splitting could result in the Conservatives winning most Edmonton seats. I think Edmonton Greisbach will almost certainly go NDP.

Very interesting graphic in the Ottawa Citizen that shows how much the top 1% increased their wealth under the previous Liberal government, and how they have been cut down to size by the Conservatives. It also shows that the middle class (the 10% to 50%) have reversed the trend of the mid 90's to mid 00's and are seeing their influence increase. The bottom 50% also stabilized their decline in the past 10 years.

Not only does Canada have the best economic performance in the G7 in the past 9 years, they have concentrated this growth in the middle class (and to a lessor extent, the lower earners and the upper middle class as well).

I'm not asking for a special category. My point was that it is not a religious requirement for Muslim women to wear a niqab, therefore using their religion as justification to wear one during citizenship oaths is a useless argument. No one should be allowed to conceal their identity, for any reason, in such a context. If we make an exception in this regard, then why should anyone have to identify themself clearly in any place? There should be one standard for all to follow.
No one hides their identity. As I understand things there is a long standing practice/workaround that respects, both, the cultural needs of the new citizen and the court's need to identify. The citizenship judge and the applicant retire to a room (could be chambers could just be a private location in the building) and the judge confirms the identity of the applicant.

The wearing of the niqab during the actual ceremony is harmless and meaningless (well meaningless to the process, but likely meaningful to the applicant).

Last edited:
Article quotes my friend Laurie Adkin. I think the NDP could possibly win three more seats in Edmonton and the Liberals could possibly win some a seat or two in Calgary. But vote-splitting could result in the Conservatives winning most Edmonton seats. I think Edmonton Greisbach will almost certainly go NDP.

If people could get past party affiliation and vote for the person with the best chance of beating the CPC candidate, they could wind up with as little as 40 seats. Of course, people won't do that...

Only 18 more days of election coverage!

Conservatives have jumped out to a “clear lead” in public support according to new poll, thanks to fucking niqab. Unbelievable.

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal...onservatives-out-in-front-new-poll-finds.html
it is easy to criticize the Tory push on the niqab as being an overstatement of an issue to appeal to some people's base instincts ....and that is true...but really the same vote grabbing motivation has to be why the other two are not coming out more forcefully against the ban and telling those who don't know how silly and pointless the ban is. The NDP have even allowed 3 (last time I counted) Quebec candidates to come out and support a ban even though it goes against party policy on the matter.

They read the same polls as the Torys do and what those polls are telling them is that in this day and time seeming to be strongly against a niqab ban is not the political hill they want to die on.

It is Forum though. They are bought and paid for by conservative groups.
Nanos has them at 33% so if Forum is bought and paid for and only produces 1% bump maybe they should get their money back?

upload_2015-10-1_10-55-57.png

EDIT:

In fact...that 32 - 34% number seems to becoming a real trend in the polling (of course, only one poll matters and all that).

upload_2015-10-1_11-0-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-1_10-55-57.png
    upload_2015-10-1_10-55-57.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 255
  • upload_2015-10-1_11-0-39.png
    upload_2015-10-1_11-0-39.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 260
well... seeing higher numbers for right wing party could motivate more on the left to get out and vote.
sure...or it could deflate the ABC camp with feelings of "geez, they are going to win again anyway" thoughts.....I would imagine the psychology of each person will be different on the matter.

despite earlier suggestions that the 34% Tory number was somehow a reflection on Forum Research....it seems other pollsters are getting similar numbers:

upload_2015-10-1_14-9-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-1_14-9-11.png
    upload_2015-10-1_14-9-11.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 294

Back