News   Jul 16, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 457     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Not sure whether this belongs here or the fantasy thread, but seeing as it's looking increasingly likely that John Tory will be the next Mayor of Toronto, I figured I'd publish a map of what the system could look like with SmartTrack fully implemented:

smart track isn't going to happen as planned, at all. Expect it to die a quiet death about a year after the election after some city staff take a basic look at it and realize that it is complete crap.

smart track isn't going to happen as planned, at all. Expect it to die a quiet death about a year after the election after some city staff take a basic look at it and realize that it is complete crap.

There will be changes for sure. Maybe a compromise of sorts. Tram-train? UPX merge?

A smart politician listens and acts accordingly. A dumb politician refuses to change and remains stubborn.

Last edited:
There will be changes for sure. Maybe a compromise of sorts. Tram-train? UPX merge?

A smart politician listens and acts accordingly. A dumb politician refuses to change and remains stubborn.

I do think SmartTrack will be wise to merge with UPX. Essentially UPX will act as the express train and only stop at Mt Dennis (for the Eglinton LRT) and Dundas (Bloor) before it arrives at Union. SmartTrack will have additional stops at Spadina/Roger Center, Liberty Village, and use the Weston stop (which is better served as a local stop than for UPX). Whether SmartTrack will actually make it to the airport (or just stop at Weston Rd) will be seen.

To the east, I think SmartTrack should add a stop around St. Lawrence Market. They can remove the stop at 14th avenue and maybe relocate it to Denison (more residential and industrial buildings in that area). Not sure if GO Stoufville will run the same time as SmartTrack, but it may make sense for GO Stoufville to end at Unionville so Markham passengers can transfer to SmartTrack to finish their journey downtown if needed.

I do think SmartTrack will be wise to merge with UPX. Essentially UPX will act as the express train and only stop at Mt Dennis (for the Eglinton LRT) and Dundas (Bloor) before it arrives at Union. SmartTrack will have additional stops at Spadina/Roger Center, Liberty Village, and use the Weston stop (which is better served as a local stop than for UPX). Whether SmartTrack will actually make it to the airport (or just stop at Weston Rd) will be seen.

To the east, I think SmartTrack should add a stop around St. Lawrence Market. They can remove the stop at 14th avenue and maybe relocate it to Denison (more residential and industrial buildings in that area). Not sure if GO Stoufville will run the same time as SmartTrack, but it may make sense for GO Stoufville to end at Unionville so Markham passengers can transfer to SmartTrack to finish their journey downtown if needed.

You mean Spadina/Skydome? Or at least Centre instead of Center.

Whether SmartTrack will actually make it to the airport (or just stop at Weston Rd) will be seen.

One of the core ideas is that it actually doesn't go to the airport. Instead it goes to the "airport corporate centre", which are office buildings south of the 401 & airport in Mississauga.

I hope that is not the only definition of a dumb politician. Ford switched from Sheppard subway to Eglinton Scarborough Crosstown to B-D Extension - in each switch listening to who had the power and acting accordingly.

The left of the Council stubbornly said LRT for STC in 2008, and not changed since.

One of the core ideas is that it actually doesn't go to the airport. Instead it goes to the "airport corporate centre", which are office buildings south of the 401 & airport in Mississauga.

Those office buildings south of the 401 & airport in Mississauga are to be served by the Mississauga TransitWay. However, there should be rapid transit line using TTC fares to get to the airport.

MiWay_MississaugaTransitway_ServicePlanPhase1-July2014.png

Attachments

• MiWay_MississaugaTransitway_ServicePlanPhase1-July2014.png
    MiWay_MississaugaTransitway_ServicePlanPhase1-July2014.png
    595.4 KB · Views: 422
Can anyone tell me exactly where the east side "Unilever" "Queen" and "Gerrard" stops are planned to be in the SmartTrack proposal?

Its obvious that the Along-Eglinton portion will get cancelled, and the number of stops up Kennedy will probably be reduced, but I suspect the remainder would get built (and would be useful)

I suppose in absence of any information I could assume its exactly where the tracks cross those streets. In which case the Queen stop is somewhat useful (almost a gateway to Leslieville) but the Gerrard stop seems way too close to the Queen stop to not be redundant.

I would hope the Unilever stop (wherever that is) would be able to service the Port Lands development and/or Distillery District.

Last edited:
I suppose in absence of any information I could assume its exactly where the tracks cross those streets. In which case the Queen stop is somewhat useful (almost a gateway to Leslieville) but the Gerrard stop seems way too close to the Queen stop to not be redundant.

I would hope the Unilever stop (wherever that is) would be able to service the Port Lands development and/or Distillery District.

I don't think it's that close, considering that some parts of this map have subway-like stop spacing.

The Gerard & Carlaw stop has redevelopment potential as well as a connection to the College streetcar. I think it should be kept.

If it were up to me, I'd probably add a stop at Parliament near the Distillery District.

By the way, I'm wondering if we should start a thread for discussing SmartTrack..

Last edited:
I don't think the Eglinton portion of Smartrax will go ahead and that's a good thing.

Any Eglinton portion will be an extension of the Eglinton LRT to hook up with the MiWay Transitway.

Smartrax will be far easier, faster, and much cheaper to build if it basically just took over the UPX line. It's amazing how Toronto's newest "rapid transit" line in a decade has received nothing but scorn and the only people looking forward to it are people at Metrolinx for a good old fashioned ribbon-cutting. Metrolinx has said this line will not have it's operations subsidized so unless these fares are at $30 one way {as the Auditor General thinks they will have to be to break even}, this line is going to bleed red-ink. There will be a huge public backlash when the high fares are announced and after the Pan-Am games, I think this line will probably be converted to a GO RER or Smartrax which is what it should have been in the first place.

A Smartrax {which would be TTC fare} would also serve hundreds of thousands at Weston and Humber area that have no options now except the slow boat to China buses. Basically subway service to thousands who are crying out for it.

That's the good thing about Tory, he is not the type, unlike Ford or Harper, to see positive feedback as a front on his authority. In other words he is a reasonable person who is receptive to change to routes and stations. I think Smartrax is both smart and doable and will go ahead but using the UPX corridor and the Eglinton portion of the line is one of it's most expensive to build so it will come in well under budget.

I don't think the Eglinton portion of Smartrax will go ahead and that's a good thing.

Any Eglinton portion will be an extension of the Eglinton LRT to hook up with the MiWay Transitway.

Smartrax will be far easier, faster, and much cheaper to build if it basically just took over the UPX line. It's amazing how Toronto's newest "rapid transit" line in a decade has received nothing but scorn and the only people looking forward to it are people at Metrolinx for a good old fashioned ribbon-cutting. Metrolinx has said this line will not have it's operations subsidized so unless these fares are at $30 one way {as the Auditor General thinks they will have to be to break even}, this line is going to bleed red-ink. There will be a huge public backlash when the high fares are announced and after the Pan-Am games, I think this line will probably be converted to a GO RER or Smartrax which is what it should have been in the first place.

A Smartrax {which would be TTC fare} would also serve hundreds of thousands at Weston and Humber area that have no options now except the slow boat to China buses. Basically subway service to thousands who are crying out for it.

That's the good thing about Tory, he is not the type, unlike Ford or Harper, to see positive feedback as a front on his authority. In other words he is a reasonable person who is receptive to change to routes and stations. I think Smartrax is both smart and doable and will go ahead but using the UPX corridor and the Eglinton portion of the line is one of it's most expensive to build so it will come in well under budget.

That makes sense. Just take the UPX line, extend it eastwards up to Scarborough through the Stouffville line.

Add stops at St Clair, Eglinton, Liberty Village, and Spadina to the current UPX route. Change the fares to TTC fares (with an extra charge for those going to the airport), call it Line 5 or 6, paint TTC logos all over, hand over operation to TTC, bam you've got Smart Track.

I agree Tory seems like he would be reasonable to change. However, it can't happen until after the election, since obviously any change or adjustment would be ceased by his opponents as major attack opportunities.

Back