News   Jul 16, 2024
 411     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 527     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Woah, so that is how Tory looks like when his mouth talks before his brain thinks. He responded to Chow's question of "Do you have a plan B for funding for SmartTrack?" with a "Yes I do" and then promptly looked at down his notes while the moderator ended the segment.

He got lucky. That was close.

Anything on the DRL?

Nothing specifically either way. His main criticism about it seems to continually be that "it's going to take too long". I'm not sure if that's saying "we shouldn't build it at all" or if he's just saying "there are other things that can get done before that".

Personally, I'd have no problem with GO REX coming in within 10 years, and the DRL following behind it. Both serve different functions (although there is some overlap), and both are needed. It's unlikely that the DRL will get to anywhere near construction within this current 4 year term, so while I think the DRL should move forward through the process, I don't think the key "let's go" decision is imminent.

In his post-debate scrum, I picked up on something that Tory mentioned during the debate as well, but didn't necessarily clue in on: "SmartTrack will be built using TIF, and will not rely on an increase in property taxes." (emphasis my own). To me, that's a pretty legalese statement. That doesn't necessarily preclude the possibility of using other revenue tools to fund SmartTrack, or any other transit project for that matter. Of course, all of that is likely moot because the Province is footing the entire bill anyway, because it's really just GO REX.

Nothing specifically either way. His main criticism about it seems to continually be that "it's going to take too long". I'm not sure if that's saying "we shouldn't build it at all" or if he's just saying "there are other things that can get done before that".

Personally, I'd have no problem with GO REX coming in within 10 years, and the DRL following behind it. Both serve different functions (although there is some overlap), and both are needed. It's unlikely that the DRL will get to anywhere near construction within this current 4 year term, so while I think the DRL should move forward through the process, I don't think the key "let's go" decision is imminent.

The "let's go" decision is imminent. We can't afford to delay anymore on our Relief Line. There is lots of preliminary work that needs to be completed before our RL can enter construction phase. City Council will need to approve RL in a few years if we want RL to begin servicing our city within the next 12 years.

He also countered Chow's criticism of him not supporting the TTC improvements package, by countering that he does but wants to defer it to the budget committee as it is a lot of items and a lot of money and the proposals offer no way to fund the improvements. He says that he won't "tick the box next to it simply because I agree, like Chow would".

I'm increasingly becoming fond of Tory, he needs to come out in support of Eglinton Connects and I have no objections to his transit plans. (Besides SmartTrack, which I doubt will ever come into fruitation in its alleged for)
You make SmartTrack sounds like a small deal. This is $8 Billion we're talking about. I'm outraged that Tory is willing to toy with that kind of money for his selfish polticial benefit. Its hugely irresponsible on his part and reflects poorly on his character

If it weren't for SmartTrack and to a far lesser extent Eglinton Connects , I'd have no problem voting for Tory. But right now I'm having an incredibly hard time overlooking the Tory's lies and irresponsiblity regarding the SmartTrack issue. He's essentially lost all respect I had for him because of it.

Last edited:
You make SmartTrack sounds like a small deal. This is $8 Billion we're talking about. I'm outraged that Tory is willing to toy with that kind of money for his selfish polticial benefit. Its hugely irresponsible on his part and reflects poorly on his character

If it weren't for SmartTrack and to a far lesser extent Eglinton Connects , I'd have no problem voting for Tory. But right now I'm having an incredibly hard time overlooking the Tory's lies and irresponsiblity regarding the SmartTrack issue. He's essentially lost all respect I had for him because of it.

Platform aside, I'm also seriously annoyed by his lack of integrity. He will say whatever he needs to say to get elected, no matter how misleading. His position on everything is either ambiguous, changes by the week, or he avoids taking a position at all. And he's always pandering for suburban votes by saying whatever he thinks is most popular:
- Supports Scarborough subway, DRL not so much, quiet about LRT
- Against anything that removes traffic lanes
- Keep taxes low
- Promise $billions in transit without raising taxes
- Privatise city services
- etc

The "let's go" decision is imminent. We can't afford to delay anymore on our Relief Line. There is lots of preliminary work that needs to be completed before our RL can enter construction phase. City Council will need to approve RL in a few years if we want RL to begin servicing our city within the next 12 years.

I'm talking about the final decision on whether or not to go to tender for construction. That's definitely not going to happen in the next council term. Sure, there will be many votes regarding the DRL (preferred alignment, proceed with EA, etc), but not THE vote.

Tory maybe a lot of things but ideological isn't one of them.

Tory comes across as a fairly open minded sort of person who would not view a redraw or certain compromises as an attack on his authority unlike Ford or Harper. Will all of Tory's plans come to fruition, of course not but that is the norm. People all want better roads, transit, policing, healthcare, school etc but at the same time want lower taxes.

Tory comes across as someone you can actually work with and not against. His Smartrax has flaws but he is not the type to say "my way or the highway" and would be receptive to changes on route, stations, etc. This is why his popularity and voter support is firm. He may not be everyone's ideal choice but he is viewed as someone who can bring sanity and practicality to a City Hall that desperately needs it. He, unlike Chow, is not painted with the "urban downtown elite" stigma nor is seen as a suburban hillbilly with no concept of urban affairs.

Toronto, love it or like it, is now a mega-city and that will not change and Tory , in most people's view, seems to be the only option for a mayor who is sensitive to both urban and suburban Toronto. Chow will be fought tooth and nail for almost everything because she will, whether fairly or not, always be seen as favoring the downtown voters but Tory won't suffer that problem.

Tory may not be the one everyone loves but he is the one that all factions could work with and Chow isn't.

I still don't get what he has to be so wobbly over. He knows damn well the Province is already covering the entire tab for "his" plan, which is really just Metrolinx' plan, which is really just the LPO's plan.
Maybe we are giving him too much credit on that?

I still don't get what he has to be so wobbly over. He knows damn well the Province is already covering the entire tab for "his" plan, which is really just Metrolinx' plan, which is really just the LPO's plan.

Its just John Tory's character to be flip floppy. He never takes a position on anything that we can be sure he will keep.

Back