News   Jul 17, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 800     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Unfunded? She's been pretty clear she would hike property taxes, unlike Tory who has straight up opposed the TTC document.

Soknacki is obviously best when it comes to policy, but he doesn't really stand much of a chance.

Agreed. My choices would be Soknacki in theory, but Chow in practicality (if I actually were to vote).

In other news, Karen Stintz dropped out of the race today and also stated she won't run for council. I say good riddance. Thoughts?

Agreed. My choices would be Soknacki in theory, but Chow in practicality (if I actually were to vote).

In other news, Karen Stintz dropped out of the race today and also stated she won't run for council. I say good riddance. Thoughts?

Excellent news for transit - she lead the charge in the service cutback, and came up with the boneheaded idea of using surplus to fund a fare freeze.

AoD

Phase 1 of the DRL should be from Pape/Cosburn to Eastern/Broadview. Maybe after this portion hits 15-20k pphpd then we can talk about extending it to the north (and also west).

So, just a kilometer or two short of actually being useful? I'm not sure if you're seriously proposing a useless stub or attempting a very subtle defense of the Sheppard subway.

Excellent news for transit - she lead the charge in the service cutback, and came up with the boneheaded idea of using surplus to fund a fare freeze.

AoD

Yes, and voting against the new bus garage.

However, I am grateful that she prevented Rob Ford from cancelling the Eglinton Crosstown line at the beginning of his term.

AoD

OneCity was a pretty bold plan though, I'll give her that, if nothing else for the fact that it proposed a dedicated revenue stream for Toronto transit. Some of the aspects of it were a bit odd, but some of them were pretty forward-thinking. Too bad it died before it ever really got off the ground.

OneCity was a pretty bold plan though, I'll give her that, if nothing else for the fact that it proposed a dedicated revenue stream for Toronto transit. Some of the aspects of it were a bit odd, but some of them were pretty forward-thinking. Too bad it died before it ever really got off the ground.

OneCity was to be funded through property taxes. Later she voted against using property taxes to fund transit (May 2013).

It's unfortunate that people seemed so ready to slam someone who can come up with bold ideas and was genuinely passionate about public transit.

Had she been higher in the polls, she would have been my pick.

It's unfortunate that people seemed so ready to slam someone who can come up with bold ideas and was genuinely passionate about public transit.

Had she been higher in the polls, she would have been my pick.

Bold ideas? Passionate about transit? Ha. You have to be joking.

What with cutting TTC service during periods of record high ridership and funding a fare freeze with the surplus, trying to vote away the McNicoll bus garage, and wasting untold billions by dragging up the Scarborough subway and flip-flopping her position on it, she has perhaps with the exception of Rob Ford been the one person holding back the TTC in this city the most during her bone-headed tenure.

Good. Riddance.

Everyone can put forward "bold ideas" - how about the real bold one that real transit requires new money through revenues and not one-off asset monetization and otherwise hurt-free "solutions"?

AoD

Karen Stintz was my favorite candidate.

Unfortunately, her poll counts weren't good, and it was the right decision to drop out.

The positive side is that Ford's chances to get re-elected should be even lower once she dropped out. "Ford Nation" hates Stintz and none of them would vote for her.

Therefore, those 4 - 6 % who were going to vote for Stintz, are certainly not Ford's supporters. Most of them will vote for Tory or Chow.

Had her bold ideas not kept contradicting with her earlier bold ideas ... :)

Seriously though ... she had a chance early in her time of TTC chair, to raise fares by 2 cents - or reduce non-peak service (by increasing crowding standards), reduce peak service (by increasing crowding standards), and eliminate service entirely on many routes at certain times of the day.

She chose the cuts.

She might have fought to keep projects like Eglinton (perhaps not coincidentally very convenient for her). But she's done a lot of damage, which will take years to reverse.

Jonathan English talks about what Toronto's politicians and people need to know about Regional Express Rail to make sure the modernization of the GO system will serve Toronto well into the future in this front page article.

Jonathan English talks about what Toronto's politicians and people need to know about Regional Express Rail to make sure the modernization of the GO system will serve Toronto well into the future in this front page article.

Great article, although I would add a 4th essential thing, which is integrating well with local transit. Good connections with existing bus, LRT and subway lines is essential for GO RER in my opinion.

Back