News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

It's a placeholder response on behalf of Andrewpmk, until he comes back to elaborate on his conspiracy theory perpetrated by the Miller agenda that would explain the congestion on the DVP.

http://contests.eyeweekly.com/eye/issue/issue_11.08.01/news/dvp.php

Miller was against widening the DVP in 2001. Basically the issue is that the 404 was widened but the DVP was not so the traffic on the DVP is much worse than the 404. The DVP is bad practically 24/7 north of Eglinton as is the southbound part of 404 just before the 401 where it narrows to 2 lanes over the bridge but the rest of the 404 is only bad in rush hour.

I think that Miller had these weird ideas that we should deliberately remove road capacity to discourage people from driving by making traffic worse. He would claim that people would stop driving if you get rid of road capacity but that isn't true most of the time. People either drive at different times of day or they clog up parallel roads like Bayview. That would explain why he had this weird obsession with LRT, liked bike lanes and wanted to demolish the Gardiner. His LRT obsession makes so little sense because Sheppard has tens of thousands of residents in apartments on it and the Sheppard subway is obviously underused only because it is very short. In the case of Eglinton he insisted on a very unusual partially underground LRT line which is extremely expensive and has low capacity rather than a subway. I do not understand why you wouldn't build a normal subway under Eglinton and leave Sheppard alone if there is no money to extend it. Also I don't understand why Miller acted as if GO Transit doesn't exist. The bike lane thing seems to be a fad everywhere, but I really worry that people will get hurt if more people ride bikes because I think it is too dangerous. There is a reason that only 2% of Torontonians bike to work. I think that Ford was basically elected in 2010 because Miller was really unpopular, pretty much everyone hated his LRT plan and the garbage strike didn't help. Of course Ford was a complete disaster, so if Tory wins it will be up to him to clean up the mess left by the previous two administrations.

His LRT obsession makes so little sense because Sheppard has tens of thousands of residents in apartments on it and the Sheppard subway is obviously underused only because it is very short. In the case of Eglinton he insisted on a very unusual partially underground LRT line which is extremely expensive and has low capacity rather than a subway. I do not understand why you wouldn't build a normal subway under Eglinton and leave Sheppard alone if there is no money to extend it.

"Sheppard's a silly stub/useless hole in the ground, but since LRTs are so weird, let's make Eglinton just like Sheppard."

The bike lane thing seems to be a fad everywhere, but I really worry that people will get hurt if more people ride bikes because I think it is too dangerous. There is a reason that only 2% of Torontonians bike to work.

"I think biking is dangerous, so let's cancel everything that makes it safer for them because I don't want people to get hurt."

Are you Rob Ford?

"Sheppard's a silly stub/useless hole in the ground, but since LRTs are so weird, let's make Eglinton just like Sheppard."
Eglinton was supposed to be a regular subway right up until Transit City was rolled out. And LRT or Rockets, it's not fully complete yet by stopping at mount dennis, which is a stub.

"I think biking is dangerous, so let's cancel everything that makes it safer for them because I don't want people to get hurt."

Are you Rob Ford?
http://contests.eyeweekly.com/eye/issue/issue_11.08.01/news/dvp.php

Miller was against widening the DVP in 2001. Basically the issue is that the 404 was widened but the DVP was not so the traffic on the DVP is much worse than the 404. The DVP is bad practically 24/7 north of Eglinton as is the southbound part of 404 just before the 401 where it narrows to 2 lanes over the bridge but the rest of the 404 is only bad in rush hour.

I think that Miller had these weird ideas that we should deliberately remove road capacity to discourage people from driving by making traffic worse. He would claim that people would stop driving if you get rid of road capacity but that isn't true most of the time. People either drive at different times of day or they clog up parallel roads like Bayview. That would explain why he had this weird obsession with LRT, liked bike lanes and wanted to demolish the Gardiner. His LRT obsession makes so little sense because Sheppard has tens of thousands of residents in apartments on it and the Sheppard subway is obviously underused only because it is very short. In the case of Eglinton he insisted on a very unusual partially underground LRT line which is extremely expensive and has low capacity rather than a subway. I do not understand why you wouldn't build a normal subway under Eglinton and leave Sheppard alone if there is no money to extend it. Also I don't understand why Miller acted as if GO Transit doesn't exist. The bike lane thing seems to be a fad everywhere, but I really worry that people will get hurt if more people ride bikes because I think it is too dangerous. There is a reason that only 2% of Torontonians bike to work. I think that Ford was basically elected in 2010 because Miller was really unpopular, pretty much everyone hated his LRT plan and the garbage strike didn't help. Of course Ford was a complete disaster, so if Tory wins it will be up to him to clean up the mess left by the previous two administrations.

The fight about Eglinton Connects is funny. This won't be in action until 2025. I don't know why it's such a big deal.

Eglinton was supposed to be a regular subway right up until Transit City was rolled out. And LRT or Rockets, it's not fully complete yet by stopping at mount dennis, which is a stub.

"was supposed to be".. it was "supposed to be" BRT aka busway before it was "supposed to be" a subway for political reasons. And we're talking about the part west of Allen Rd only.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5112.shtml

To clarify, Miller was a councillor at the time, not mayor. Also my time line may be off, but I don't think the HOV lanes on the 404 had been installed yet, and the Sheppard subway was nearing completion providing a park and ride opportunity into the city.

Still, I think that the southbound DVP should be widened to at least York Mills, if not Eglinton. At most Don Mills. Having numerous lanes from all directions merge into 3 is just bad planning, regardless of what your opinion of the car is.

True. I should be more clear. I was trying to say all subways can be stubs by that standard.

Eglinton would have been a stub: only 4.2 km, Black Creek to Allen. Sheppard is obviously a stub at 5.5 km.

Even the truncated phase 1 LRT lines are much longer:
Finch West: 11 km
Sheppard East: 13.6 km
Eglinton: 19 km with 10 km tunnel.

I'm much happier with the Eglinton Crosstown being built today than the stub-way started in 1995.

Eglinton would have been a stub: only 4.2 km, Black Creek to Allen. Sheppard is obviously a stub at 5.5 km.

Even the truncated phase 1 LRT lines are much longer:
Finch West: 11 km
Sheppard East: 13.6 km
Eglinton: 19 km with 10 km tunnel.

I'm much happier with the Eglinton Crosstown being built today than the stub-way started in 1995.

I agree.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ral-campaign-olivia-chow-falls-to-third-poll/

I keep saying that people care about getting somewhere faster and will vote for candidates who promise that. Here's proof.

Yet, nobody on this forum seems to believe me or think I'm right.

I still maintain that, all those suburban voters don't care as much about a DRL that will save them 5 mins and take them from supercrush load on Yonge to crush load on DRL. They want you to cut their commute times by a sizable chunk. And they want a real alternative to driving. If Wynne had owned suburban rail as an election promise, Tory would be in trouble today. Lucky for him, she didn't really promote GO RER plans as much....

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ral-campaign-olivia-chow-falls-to-third-poll/

I keep saying that people care about getting somewhere faster and will vote for candidates who promise that. Here's proof.

Yet, nobody on this forum seems to believe me or think I'm right.

I still maintain that, all those suburban voters don't care as much about a DRL that will save them 5 mins and take them from supercrush load on Yonge to crush load on DRL. They want you to cut their commute times by a sizable chunk. And they want a real alternative to driving. If Wynne had owned suburban rail as an election promise, Tory would be in trouble today. Lucky for him, she didn't really promote GO RER plans as much....

I believe you, but I also believe Tory is more likely to cave on subways. Of course GO RER = SmartTrack so it looks like what he says will be built soon.

Rob Ford wants to make Eglinton all underground again.

Why don't we compromise? Change Leslie and Eglinton to a grade separated interchange and cancel the section east of Don Mills. This would solve the too many condos at Don Mills problem.

Not surprised. Suburban voters see real value in SmartTrack despite what this forum's most ardent voices might say. There's no other plan that promises an actually shorter commute and a real dent in gridlock. DRL won't do squat to take drivers off the road.

And Chow comes off as abrasive. I'm actually not surprised she's third. Though I am surprised she's third to Ford's second. But I think she has likability issues in the same way Ford does. Lots of people have an intense dislike Ford. And lots of people won't vote for anybody else. Chow is not that different. But elections are won in the middle. And that's why Tory is leading IMHO.

Back