News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 487     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

SmartTrack should be renamed to Dumbtrack.

I don't see how this plan will prove popular to Toronto residents. The 905 will like it definitely, but they can't vote in Toronto's election. Instead, it appears as if everyone in Toronto who would've benefited from the DRL, and after the provincial election are expecting a DRL, are getting a half-arsed GO electrification from Tory instead. I predict SmartTrack will backfire on Tory's campaign.

From Tory's platform (job-creation, reducing barriers to foreign investment, pushing for a medical school at York, etc) it seems like he still thinks he's still running for premier.

The whole SmartTrack/flip flop on the DRL is what turned me off from Tory. Originally I was planning on voting Socknacki but settling for Tory, now it looks like Chow is the only leading candidate supporting the DRL.

I'm pretty sure you have to tap your presto card when exiting. If you use the card on the TTC system and get to Mississauga by train, you have to tap out in Mississauga.
You have to tap out on GO. You can currently transfer from other systems to each other and from those systems to GO with discounts, and not tap outs other than GO.

TTC hasn't designed their new system for tap outs. There are no plans to implement this ... which would require a lot more hardware at each station to handle the crush of train arrivals.

Rob Ford quote from the debate:

Completely false. Anybody who's ridden the subway knows it goes above ground in some locations.

Campaign Lie Detector: Rob Ford says 14 untrue things at Scarborough debate
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s_14_untrue_things_at_scarborough_debate.html

I don't know how much more Ford I can take until he gets booted out in October. Again, he gets more and more ridiculous.

Personally I think that with GO electrification and fare integration, the BD extension will become close to as empty as Sheppard. Would've been far better at this point to build the LRT so it could go further north and serve northeastern Scarborough as well.

Oh, and no matter if Tory wins or not, there will be no system in this city called SmartTrack. The province won't let Tory of all people take the credit for their scheme of GO RER, which is exactly what he's trying to emulate.

There's this little problem that the province has a signed agreement with the city to build LRT. There is been no signed agreement with the city to fund a subway - just verbal promises.
A signed agreement that doesn't seem to be worth the paper it's printed on.

The whole SmartTrack/flip flop on the DRL is what turned me off from Tory. Originally I was planning on voting Socknacki but settling for Tory, now it looks like Chow is the only leading candidate supporting the DRL.
Tory's DRL flip-flop is a disappointment to be sure, but Chow is hardly a DRL champion. Her transit message is almost entirely about extra buses so women with strollers don't get left waiting. She was even quoted as saying that she doesn't think the DRL should be a campaign issue.

Soknacki and Stintz are the only true pro-DRL candidates, but neither has much chance of winning.

The problem with the DRL is that the project hasn't even been defined yet, its hard to support a project that at minimum is still 12 years away from opening.

Chow's bus service pledge is one that is very important, there is so much more to a transit service than fancy new train lines. Under the current administration this has been thrown out the window with operating and general capital costs being slashed while the fancy new transit lines get argued to death. "TTC - Take the Car" is a line not so much because we lack a certain subway to Scarborough, or an LRT to Humber College, but rather because on a bus line that is scheduled to have 10 minute frequencies you get 3 buses that come in a row every 30 minutes. Its because even if those buses were to come as scheduled, they would be jammed full and completely uncomfortable simply because crowding standards are too high in a way to "save money". Its because bus routes run every hour after a certain time, because they are too infrequent outside of rush hour. Believe it or not, if you actually make an effort to provide high quality bus service, people use it. the TTC is limited to doing the absolute minimum however, and Toronto is left hurting because of that. Its a problem where people hate buses and streetcars as they are badly managed, and want something else. Little do they realize that a lot of their issues can simply be fixed by spending a bit more money on some more buses, shortening bus lifecycles, improved line management techniques (how about running lines "express" to fix time differences instead of short turning them?), and better communications technologies. Its not rocket science, and Chow's promise on improved bus service is a great start and leads me to believe that she will be open to further general operations improvements to the TTC that can make a difference before the end of her first term, not 12 years from now.

Tory's proposal has essentially become "do nothing" at this point as the province is willing to pay for it now apparently. He also seemed to have missed the Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion study which explicitly ruled out the type of line he is proposing as it doesn't work nearly as well as the DRL at achieving its goal.

If you want good transit in this city, I think Chow is your best bet. Soknacki is probably just as good, but unfortunately doesn't have a chance in hell in winning.

Last edited:
Nailed it again innsert.

I'm waiting for the candidate that will promise to implement the Transit City Bus Plan. It will be far more meaningful than SmartTrack. Chow's halfway there.

She was even quoted as saying that she doesn't think the DRL should be a campaign issue.

Right. Is having a police force or fire service a campaign issue?

When something needs to be done, and the agencies in charge of it are moving forward (Metrolinx and TTC) with it, then she's right; it's not a campaign issue. Discussion about whether it's necessary is over.

If the leaders start jumping in with suggestions and alternative half solutions all they can do is cause delays. The best way to get the DRL done is for the mayor to be completely hands off until the experts settle on a plan and a pricetag. Once a pricetag is found, it's up to the leader (mayor and premier) to sell the public on funding it.

The most successful mayor on the transit file will be the one that finds funds, solves inter-departmental blockages (Toronto Hydro, Works, and other utilities), and otherwise stays hands-off.

What should be a campaign issue are pledges from the mayor candidates to work with GO on fare integration on all lines and what that might look like. This isn't something the general public seems to have considered an option.

Also, another campaign issue should be modifying how municipal elections work. Wynne is open to change, what might be better than first past the post?

Last edited:
Fare integration is NOT the same as having it run by the TTC. Fare integration simply means your TTC fare will be deducted from your GO fare, you are still paying extra by a minimum of a few dollars each way.

A Smartrax would simply be part of the TTC system and use the Metropass. People who take transit, especially regular transit and not commuter rail, are overwhelmingly middle/lower income people dominated by students, the disabled, seniors, unemployed, and working poor. Even an extra $5/day or $100/month is a lot of money which they probably do not have to spare so again, electrification is no good to them and an extra $5/day will be the minimum extra they would have to pay if they just go with fare integration.

Using current transportation infrastructure for transportation may seem odd to Torontonians but the rest of the planet figured it out decades ago.

SmartTrack should be renamed to Dumbtrack.

I don't see how this plan will prove popular to Toronto residents. The 905 will like it definitely, but they can't vote in Toronto's election. Instead, it appears as if everyone in Toronto who would've benefited from the DRL, and after the provincial election are expecting a DRL, are getting a half-arsed GO electrification from Tory instead. I predict SmartTrack will backfire on Tory's campaign.

John Tory's number one priority used to be the "Yonge Street relief line", and he unfairly criticized Chow for somehow not supporting it. Then he comes out with his dumbtrack scheme, and Chow is now at fault for supporting the relief line because it will take longer to build. If the timeline for the DRL is really a problem (and it should be), then maybe it's time to get started on it rather than finding more excuses to avoid building it.

Here's how his scheme works. Take what the liberals have promised to build in 10 years. Then reduce it to only two GO lines. Then promise to build it sooner. Call it a "surface subway" to make it sound better for the suburban car folks. Delay the Finch and Sheppard LRTs even further so that his scheme would be the first priority, while continuing to embrace the discredited Scarborough subway. Promise to pay for it without raising taxes, in this case tax increment financing (TIF) will do the magic. And finally, take credit for this borrowed idea.

Unfortunately there's a little thing called reality. Toronto doesn't own the rail corridors, so this project is really for the Metrolinx department rather than the municipal one, and it will happen in some shape and form no matter who is the next mayor. Pretending that this can be paid for through someone else's deep pockets without raising taxes, is dishonest at best. Running 4 trains per hour will not do much to relieve Yonge & Bloor, but will instead bring more crowds into Union station, which is why the DRL should not be ignored. And that section that goes to Pearson along Eglinton is bizarre. There's a bunch of stations everywhere else, but very few on Eglinton. The east end goes into Markham, but the people of Brampton don't get to have surface subways subways subways. And if Tory had done his homework, he would know that the Richview lands are not useable anymore now that it's being sold off to developers.

Dumbtrack indeed.

14479037089_f72a4cddb5_z.jpg

Last edited:

Back