News   Jul 03, 2024
 118     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 853     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

You know, I'm okay with the Fords pulling out of debates. After the last 4 years, people know if they will vote for them or not. No amount of good logic or argumentation will change their minds.

I don't even think pulling out is in their interest tbh. Watching the last debate the 3 of them were in, I think Doug could potentially convince yet more disenfranchised suburban voters tuning in to vote for him.

from a RaBIT campaign email...

2014 Mandate letter: Municipal Affairs and Housing
Premier's instructions to the Minister on priorities for the year 2014

http://www.ontario.ca/government/2014-mandate-letter-municipal-affairs-and-housing

This is bullshit. I'm not against ranked ballots by any means, but the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing is going to implement this change for municipalities while at the provincial level we're still stuck with the idiotic FPTP voting system. They have a majority now, time to kick into gear not only changes to municipal voting systems but also provincial ones. I'm tired of the sham minority rule FPTP system.

The one-month countdown to the great Ford-ejection starts today. Today !!!

Newmindspace are already planning a party at Nathan Phillips Square to celebrate the ejection of the Ford monstrosity.

I, for one, am getting drunk as f**k in celebration....or, universe forbid, in consternation.

This is bullshit. I'm not against ranked ballots by any means, but the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing is going to implement this change for municipalities while at the provincial level we're still stuck with the idiotic FPTP voting system. They have a majority now, time to kick into gear not only changes to municipal voting systems but also provincial ones. I'm tired of the sham minority rule FPTP system.

Actually, there is a movement for Proportional Representation for Ontario & Canada's parliaments. It's where if a party that wins X% of the popular vote also wins X% of the seats. See link.

At the municipal level, there is a movement for rated balloting. The voter selects their #1 candidate, their #2, and #3. If their #1 does not get 50%+1, the #2 is looked at, then #3, until there is a candidate who gets 50%+1. See link.

I'm not sure what they are supposed to change at the provincial level, after the overwhelming vote in the provincial referendum to continue using the FPTP system.

Last edited:
It's over for Olivia, she should have been above 30 percent again by this time.
http://t.co/VYERbvSGQh
The Toronto mayoral race is starting to look like a two-horse contest as Doug Ford edges closer to John Tory whiles Olivia Chow falls into third, according to a new poll.

The Mainstreet Technologies poll released Monday put frontrunner John Tory at 37% support among voters most likely to vote. Doug Ford — who was said to be in a dead heat with Olivia Chow for second place in previous polls — is within seven points of the leader with 30% support of voters. Meanwhile, Ms. Chow is at 21%. Twelve per cent of respondents were undecided.

“[Doug Ford] has successfully positioned himself as the Tory alternative,” Mainstreet Technologies President Quito Maggi said in a news release. “At this stage, Olivia Chow has taken a back seat. As Ford appears to pick up steam, she must find a way to keep her supporters from strategic voting.”

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/516643056301670402
Oh no. Olivia Chow says she has drawn some art herself. It's a transit map. Please stop just stop oh no.
Byt8H0WIEAEGe63.png

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/516643393602981888
The face of a man who knows he's winning, and knows why.
Byt8bcSCUAA1vsB.png

Attachments

• Byt8H0WIEAEGe63.png
    Byt8H0WIEAEGe63.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 746
  • Byt8bcSCUAA1vsB.png
    Byt8bcSCUAA1vsB.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 744
I'm not sure what they are supposed to change at the provincial level, after the overwhelming vote in the provincial referendum to continue using the FPTP system.

That's because the citizens group came back with a reco for proportional rep, and people don't want politicians-at-large elected from lists.

Instant runoff ballots would have accomplished many of the same goals without screwing up the current riding-based structure. If IRB had been the referendum question it probably would have passed.

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/516643056301670402
Oh no. Olivia Chow says she has drawn some art herself. It's a transit map. Please stop just stop oh no.

where did olivia get this advice to keep hammering on things like hospitals and childcare? why all the lame, faux-folksy stuff about moms' n' strollers? everyone knew this was a high-stakes election that was going to be half a referendum on ford and half a debate on transit. she seems horribly ill-prepared on both fronts.

on a related note it really says something about us that this is caliber of candidate we put forward: doug, and a pair of (frankly) old inside-the-beltway party hacks. where's our bloomberg, or helen zille? socks could've been that candidate - in terms of be an evidence-based technocrat - but couldn't manage even basic charisma.

crikey, toronto.

on a related note it really says something about us that this is caliber of candidate we put forward: doug, and a pair of (frankly) old inside-the-beltway party hacks. where's our bloomberg, or helen zille? socks could've been that candidate - in terms of be an evidence-based technocrat - but couldn't manage even basic charisma.

crikey, toronto.

I can see how having to compete with the Fords would put a lot of potential candidates off, because the Fords play dirty. That, plus not wanting to campaign in the middle of the circus that is this mayoral race.

It's over for Olivia, she should have been above 30 percent again by this time.
http://t.co/VYERbvSGQh
The Toronto mayoral race is starting to look like a two-horse contest as Doug Ford edges closer to John Tory whiles Olivia Chow falls into third, according to a new poll.

The Mainstreet Technologies poll released Monday put frontrunner John Tory at 37% support among voters most likely to vote. Doug Ford — who was said to be in a dead heat with Olivia Chow for second place in previous polls — is within seven points of the leader with 30% support of voters. Meanwhile, Ms. Chow is at 21%. Twelve per cent of respondents were undecided.

“[Doug Ford] has successfully positioned himself as the Tory alternative,” Mainstreet Technologies President Quito Maggi said in a news release. “At this stage, Olivia Chow has taken a back seat. As Ford appears to pick up steam, she must find a way to keep her supporters from strategic voting.”

ha, I think I went to high school with that guy, I think his brother was in a class with me. :p Didn't know them but you don't forget a name like that.

I don't understand why Doug gained any points. :confused:

Back