News   Jul 03, 2024
 164     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 197     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1K     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I had a feeling Wildrose would blow it in fairness. Rob and Doug are just two people. You can't do what Wildrose did multpile times and expect to form a a government in this country, even Alberta.

But RoDoFo's hooting/hollering/Iola-screaming diehards are many more people. (Which is why I also brought up the Wellstone-memorial turnoff effect in Minnesota.)

so Doug has cried off again, the Empire Club elitist? And he only discovered this 40 mins before the debate?

Well I guess GenerationW is right again. This is either hype or they are trying to scare people to vote Tory.
Hmm. So is Forum deliberately biasing the results? Did they do this in the provincial election to shift NDP support to the Liberals to keep Hudak out?

Given they are who Toronto Star uses, it could be quite effective. Could Toronto Star be in on it?

Hmm. So is Forum deliberately biasing the results? Did they do this in the provincial election to shift NDP support to the Liberals to keep Hudak out?

Given they are who Toronto Star uses, it could be quite effective. Could Toronto Star be in on it?

It's a theory of mine. I think the Star gave up on Chow in August. She had slipped by them, but not enough to quit. (Maybe they knew something we didn't). I think Forum is definately biaseing results because on provincial election day they came out with the poll the had the NDP and Liberals ties and the PCs leading. I feel people saw it and voted Liberal because of that. Forum was also the group showing the PCs in the lead for most of the time.

I think Forum is definately biaseing results because on provincial election day they came out with the poll the had the NDP and Liberals ties and the PCs leading. I feel people saw it and voted Liberal because of that. Forum was also the group showing the PCs in the lead for most of the time.

If that's true, than Forum is basically a propaganda polling firm. Remember they also had that phoney opinion poll recently on subway vs LRT, that tried to make the subway appear more popular.

It's a theory of mine. I think the Star gave up on Chow in August. She had slipped by them, but not enough to quit. (Maybe they knew something we didn't). I think Forum is definately biaseing results because on provincial election day they came out with the poll the had the NDP and Liberals ties and the PCs leading. I feel people saw it and voted Liberal because of that. Forum was also the group showing the PCs in the lead for most of the time.

Really? If Forum is biasing anything they are biasing to Tory. How else to explain the over representation of the Old City at 434 of 1164 respondents vs the underrepresentation of North York at 245 and Scarborough at 230....I suppose you could argue Etobicoke/York's overrepresentation of 255 would equalize if in fact it was Ford weighted however the was not the case (Ford34% Tory33% Chow28%)

So Tory up 5% D Ford down 2% and Chow down 3% from last Ipsos poll....sounds reasonable

So, gap between Tory and Ford (decided voters of 3 leading candidates)
Ipsos 22 (previously 15)
Mainstreet 20 (previously 33)
Nanos 22
Forum 7 (previously 7)

So what's Forum on ...

From the Globe & Mail, at this link:

Doug Ford pulls out of $800-a-table debate ahead of $2500-a-table fundraiser

Doug Ford pulled out of The Empire Club of Canada mayoral debate just 20 minutes before it began on Friday, claiming its $800-a-table ($80 per person) cost is too exclusive.

But Ford is scheduled to appear at a fundraiser for himself on Monday, September 29 that costs more than four times as much.

The event was expected to feature all three of the mayoral campaign’s frontrunners – Ford, Olivia Chow and John Tory.

“Debates should be open events that any member of the public can attend and ask questions,†reads a statement from the Ford campaign, released at approximately 12:15 p.m. Friday.

“How many average, hardworking people can afford to take three hours away from work to come downtown and spend almost $100 having lunch?â€

Global News has learned Doug is scheduled to appear at a lunch fundraiser at the Posticino Ristorante in Etobicoke on September 29 for $750 a person and $2,500 a table.

Ford dismissed the apparent contradiction and said the Friday debate was “exclusive†rather than “inclusive.â€

“I’m not going to go to an establishment that’s exclusive, that’s only for the Bay Street elites, and the special interests, and all the lobbyists that surround John Tory. I’m here for the common folk,†he said.
ford-invite.jpg

A screenshot of the invite to a Doug Ford fundraiser obtained by Global News.

Tory blasted Ford for abandoning the debate, pointing out Ford skipped a free debate Thursday night and isn’t scheduled to attend another free debate on Friday.

“This is a person who is dismissive, combative and thinks he’s entitled to everything,†Tory told reporters outside of the Empire Club of Canada Friday. “But I think again, there a pattern of behaviour here: don’t show up for the council votes, don’t show up for the board meetings, don’t show up to the debate.â€

Ford attended his first debate on Tuesday and faced a barrage of questions about his subway expansion plan, working with city councillors, and his attendance (or not) at the annual Pride parade.

The event was also interrupted for nearly half an hour as police removed a pro-Ford heckler from the premises.

Tory, who is considered the frontrunner, announced this week he would be reviewing debates on a case-by-case basis after dropping out of the Ryerson debate shortly before it started last week.

Chow, who has been polling in a distant third place, accused Tory of “hiding†from her.

Back