News   Jul 15, 2024
 311     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 553     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

People drive around Toronto because transit sucks. Basically sucks so badly that people would rather spend the money on gas, car maintenance and insurance than do without it.

The complete opposite is true. Toronto has one of the highest transit modal shares in NA and it continues to increase.

That's why we should focus on improving car flow downtown and building our transit from the ground up.

Dumping more cars downtown will not improve traffic flow and we have limited tools at our disposal for improving flow in the core.

How exactly can you improve car flow downtown without significantly reducing the overall flow of people?

Answer: You can't.

How can you significantly increase the overall flow of people downtown?

Answer: Many ways! Most of which necessarily include reducing the flow of cars.

The Star asked the five major mayoralty candidates, “What are your ideas to improve the environment in Toronto?â€. See link. Guess who did not respond?

This week’s hidden experts, who have big ideas about creating more green roofs, permeable parking lots and urban farms, called out the mayoral candidates for their silence on environmental issues.

So the Star reached out to those vying for the chains of office, and asked: “What are your ideas to improve the environment in Toronto?â€

David Soknacki: “The number one thing I can do if elected to improve the environment is to attack transportation gridlock. The key for me — and part of what drives my support for LRT on many corridors — is speed. The Commuter Relief Line is a subway priority, but otherwise we should focus on ways to get far more transit built more quickly.

“As the former chair of the board for the Toronto Atmospheric Fund, I also saw first-hand that environmental policy is best approached as a quest for better ideas. We shouldn’t just be looking for a broader tree canopy or more power efficiency. We should also be looking for ways that the public sector can work with private and non-profit partners as an experimental leader.

“If we’re creative, we can find hundreds of spaces in this city that can serve an environmental purpose, even as it serves a more conventional urban purpose.â€

Karen Stintz: “Transit is one of my biggest priorities. One of the most important things we can do for the environment is to get people off the road by continuing to build, support and expand transit.

“The city already has a program called the Better Buildings Partnership, which provides support to businesses to make their buildings more eco-friendly. Energy-efficient buildings are cheaper to operate, and help make Toronto a greener, cleaner city.

“The environment hasn’t been a priority for the current mayor, and I know that the status quo is a powerful force. It’ll take leadership, which I’m committed to providing, to get these issues back on the front burner.â€

John Tory: “I will make Toronto a more livable, affordable and functional city. A big part of that is building a greener and cleaner city.

“That means creating Smart Energy Communities that will focus on leveraging our own city assets, whether they (are) natural or built. We need to integrate energy, transportation and land use planning where people live, play and work.

“Much of our city’s tree canopy was damaged in the ice storm. I will roll out a plan to replant those trees across the city. I will also re-examine the approval process for clear-cutting trees in the city. We need to ensure we thoroughly consult with local communities.â€

Olivia Chow: “Transportation is our city’s biggest source of emissions, and I have unveiled two practical ideas. The first is to boost bus service by increasing rush-hour capacity by 10 per cent.

“Second, I will build above-ground rail in Scarborough. This will be finished four years faster than below-ground.â€

Chow’s ideas extend beyond transport, a campaign spokesman added. “Olivia has a strong record on energy efficiency, and programs like the Better Buildings Partnership are an excellent guide.

“We also need to better prepare for extreme weather events, which will increase due to climate change. (There) are practical ways to use roofs, hydro corridors and other spaces.â

Mayor Rob Ford: Did not respond.

(Responses have been edited for length.)

Soknacki is the only one who actually seems to have ideas of his own. The others just seem to be parroting others' ideas. And of course Ford is too ignorant or doesn't care enough to respond.

The guy needs to become the frontrunner already. This is just the latest example of what I've said over the past few pages. Soknacki talks vision and leadership while the other candidates spout soundbites.

I agree about Soknaki. I think all the other candidate are understandably living in fear that Ford will win and so are borrowing most of his platform. Of course this has the effect of robbing the voters of any meaningful debate or alternatives. And, at least so far, this is also playing to his supporters belief that Ford's policies are basically correct, his personal issues are just a sideline, and Ford a man of conviction while his opponents are weak-minded wafflers.

Hopefully Ford continues to attack Soknacki in debates. IMO, Soknacki getting attacked by Ford is a good thing for his name recognition. If Ford's against it, it must be good! haha

Soknacki is the only one who actually seems to have ideas of his own. The others just seem to be parroting others' ideas. And of course Ford is too ignorant or doesn't care enough to respond.
He didn't reply because The Star was asking the questions. I hope they keep asking these types of questions because he will never answer.

Rob Ford's response could have been that he had council scrap the plastic bag fee... to help the environment? :(
Uyuni-Potosi-Bolivia-2.jpg

[video=youtube;YN8aDVM0tQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN8aDVM0tQE#t=144[/video]

Here is an interview (with kind of crummy audio) with Megan Baskin, on the youth vote.

I found a website that analyses the Ontario "sunshine list" - the list of public sector workers that earn over $100,000 annually

whoever is the next mayor of Toronto, I hope they do something about the pan am games committee and their insane salaries:

here is a list of the 66 people that earned over $100,000 in 2013 that worked at the pan am games.
http://ontariosunshinelist.com/?q=mmbnkxf

by the way, in 2012 there were only 32 people from the pan am games that earned over $100,000 according to the same site: http://ontariosunshinelist.com/?q=xxwqmjw

The Pan Am salaries have nothing to do with the City. That's under the Provincial government

Back