News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 617     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I agree with Tory. Unless there's a reliever in place (or another option such as drastically enhanced east/west transit) you shouldn't touch the Gardiner.

Well there's the Relief Line, Eglinton Crosstown and increased GO service. All are pretty big improvements to east/west travel.

while the antagonism in your other adjectives unsettled me, this part rings true

there is only one taxpayer, across all levels of government

exactly so why is he claiming Rob Ford is the only one who has a life outside Toronto politics?

plenty of councilors hold positions or work outside and get money from sources other than their councilor salaries.

As someone who is coming from the west into downtown, I can bet every penny I have that it's going to be a lot more than what these experts are quoting. I mean these are the same people who don't know how to properly time traffic lights and cause crippling traffic jams downtown (try Richmond at Bathurst for ex).

Isn't the 'new' proposal to rebuild the Gardiner closer to the rail berm? I fully support that, but replacing it with an enhanced Lakeshore is not a realistic option at this point in time. Let's try again when we have proper regional transit.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._first_gulf_comes_up_with_new_compromise.html

Found the Star article, and apparently Stintz is in favour. Why hasn't she spent a lot more time on this piece of her transit vision, then? I'd be promoting it at every opportunity.

FWIW, if you're coming in from the west, your commute will not be affected at all by whatever they do. All of the changes/repairs/destruction will be east of Jarvis.

As someone who is coming from the west into downtown, I can bet every penny I have that it's going to be a lot more than what these experts are quoting.

We are talking about the Gardiner east of Jarvis, are we not?

TigerMaster already posted how little cars pass by through there and Riverdale above me is right in saying this won't affect you at all, coming in from southern Etobicoke/the west.

I mean these are the same people who don't know how to properly time traffic lights and cause crippling traffic jams downtown (try Richmond at Bathurst for ex).

That is purposefully done I believe, for some stupid reason of spreading out the traffic or something ridiculous like that. (I'll wager and say that the reason why probably isn't so ridiculous when properly explained.)

Well there's the Relief Line, Eglinton Crosstown and increased GO service. All are pretty big improvements to east/west travel.

Some of these are a decade or more away. I fully support tolling the highways, imposing congestion taxes on drivers who choose to drive downtown during peak hours but first you must offer an alternative! Drastically enhanced transit first, then worry about the rest.

I don't think so. Gardiner East moves only 4,000 people per peak hour. That's much lower than the rest of the road. To put that number into perspective, more people are transported through Bloor-Yonge station in approximately 120 seconds. [Four trains, each with 1,100 passengers]

What about the effect of cars being dumped onto local roads? Didn't some study show that there will be an increase of 10 minutes or more on a commute eastbound (which is pretty drastic IMO)? What about north/south roads from the Gardiner downtown? They're already some of the worst and most congested streets in the city during peak hours.

We are talking about the Gardiner east of Jarvis, are we not?

TigerMaster already posted how little cars pass by through there and Riverdale above me is right in saying this won't affect you at all, coming in from southern Etobicoke/the west.

That is purposefully done I believe, for some stupid reason of spreading out the traffic or something ridiculous like that. (I'll wager and say that the reason why probably isn't so ridiculous when properly explained.)

It's ridiculous. There are a few intersections downtown that I've complained to 311 about ad nauseum. Bathurst/Richmond is one of them, my personal favourite was an experiment transporation did on Lake Shore at Parkside. Get this; 30 seconds for Lake Shore wetbound and 2 minutes for Park Side. The traffic jams stretched to Strachan! Is it that difficult/challenging to have lights timed to allow the street with the most traffic more time to clear the intersection? Bathurst at Richmond is a similar situation; barely time for traffic to turn left from Richmond (as it dead ends there) and no advanced green. You end up with cars stuck in the intersection because of pedestrians. I understand we're 'trying' to create some sort of pedestrian utopia, but unfortunately that's not the reality of our city/built form. Until we have transit that can be shoulder to shoulder with cities like Munich, Berlin, Paris, London, etc then we have to make sure that the cars that go downtown can get in and out smoothly.

Some of these are a decade or more away. I fully support tolling the highways, imposing congestion taxes on drivers who choose to drive downtown during peak hours but first you must offer an alternative! Drastically enhanced transit first, then worry about the rest.

GO improvements have been and continute to be opening. The Eglinton Crosstown is opening in six years. The Relief Line still doesn't have an opening date (planning is ongoing), but it looks like it will be ready before 2025.

What about the effect of cars being dumped onto local roads? Didn't some study show that there will be an increase of 10 minutes or more on a commute eastbound (which is pretty drastic IMO)?

That was an increase of 10 minutes for some drivers. The impact on drivers overall will be far less than 10 minutes.

I understand we're 'trying' to create some sort of pedestrian utopia, but unfortunately that's not the reality of our city/built form?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Downtown Toronto is already very pedestrian friendly.

exactly so why is he claiming Rob Ford is the only one who has a life outside Toronto politics?

plenty of councilors hold positions or work outside and get money from sources other than their councilor salaries.

Why did Chow resign her MPP position? In the U.S., we see governors, congresspeople, senators, etc. keeping their positions while running for another office. Why do politicians here resign political office when running for another political office? Why don't councillors quit their positions when running again for council?

Why did Chow resign her MPP position? In the U.S., we see governors, congresspeople, senators, etc. keeping their positions while running for another office. Why do politicians here resign political office when running for another political office? Why don't councillors quit their positions when running again for council?

Chow was an MP.
She held out for the required time to get a full mp pension before resigning.

Do you not understand that?
She has 75k coming in every year on top of what she would making as mayor.

How is this diff from rob ford?

Easy, she actually worked for it. Can't say the same for Rob. Besides, she was elected in Jan 06 - she has served way more than 6 years, which is required to qualify for the pension plan. Nice try though.

AoD

Last edited:
So she's gonna donate to charity to write down her mayoral income through taxes?

Wasn't there criticism for Doug ford doing the same thing?

The issue with Doug donating his council salary is that it makes him less accountable to taxpayers, because he's not technically being paid by them. In this case, Chow would be keeping her mayoral salary which defuses that problem.

What exactly could Chow do in this situation to satisfy your criticism?

Everyone: After reading about the poor results from the recent debate for Toronto Mayor by the candidates running
against RF I feel that there should be a strong electable candidate that Torontonians can unite behind to make sure
that RF does not get re-elected...One that will stand up strong to RF and the "attack machine" from RF supporters
that is sure to come over time as the coming election draws closer...If there are multiple "weak" candidates that end
up running for Mayor that could end up getting RF re-elected...This thought should worry most of Toronto's citizens...

I am for a type of "recall" legislation that could help here in the RF matter provided it is fairly used to remove those
officeholders deemed to be incompetent to serve in office and not for it to be abused over political matters...

LI MIKE

Back