News   Jul 15, 2024
 64     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I found a website that analyses the Ontario "sunshine list" - the list of public sector workers that earn over $100,000 annually

whoever is the next mayor of Toronto, I hope they do something about the pan am games committee and their insane salaries:

here is a list of the 66 people that earned over $100,000 in 2013 that worked at the pan am games.
http://ontariosunshinelist.com/?q=mmbnkxf

by the way, in 2012 there were only 32 people from the pan am games that earned over $100,000 according to the same site: http://ontariosunshinelist.com/?q=xxwqmjw

That amount, $100,000, was established in 1996. That's eighteen (18) years ago. That amount should be $140,862.66 in 2014. Use the inflation calculator at this link.

That's why I ignore any references to the sunshine list. It does not take inflation into account. Of course, there would be more people today. And there will be even more next year.

The guy needs to become the frontrunner already. This is just the latest example of what I've said over the past few pages. Soknacki talks vision and leadership while the other candidates spout soundbites.

Wrong wrong wrong.. that's Olivia Chow.

Wrong wrong wrong.. that's Olivia Chow.
If OC has some great new ideas that are based on practical experience/reality (like Soknacki), then she needs to step up and share them. So far I have been unimpressed by her, and quite impressed by Soks. I just wish he wasn't so Vulcan....

it's morgan, and you'll want to remember it on election day :)
That is funny. I double checked her last name to make sure it was spelled correctly! At first, I called her Hoskin.
It is interesting that the lesser known candidates seem the most interesting, eg: Baskin, Johannes and Soknacki.

What about the effect of cars being dumped onto local roads? Didn't some study show that there will be an increase of 10 minutes or more on a commute eastbound (which is pretty drastic IMO)?
That was an increase of 10 minutes for some drivers. The impact on drivers overall will be far less than 10 minutes.
That's a bit of a mis-characterization isn't it? The numbers that were released, were for someone commuting eastbound to Union Station. Which conveniently doesn't use the piece of Gardiner being removed.

What about someone commuting eastbound to Ashbridges Bay, that does involve the piece being removed. Given someone getting off at Yonge is going to get an additional 10-minute delay, despite no change to trip, I can't imagine what happens to someone who actually uses the piece being removed?

So Olivia Chow is getting picked over for having her name displayed on her campaign office. People are calling it a campaign sign (which aren't allowed til end of July), though apparently it doesn't say Vote for Olivia, it just features her name in campaign colours.

The whole discussion has brought to mind Ford's camping office in Scarborough. I can't imagine his doesn't have his name plastered all over it. Are there any UTers in a position to know? I recall discussion here when it opened, which suggests it's been labeled in some fashion...

So Olivia Chow is getting picked over for having her name displayed on her campaign office. People are calling it a campaign sign (which aren't allowed til end of July), though apparently it doesn't say Vote for Olivia, it just features her name in campaign colours.

The whole discussion has brought to mind Ford's camping office in Scarborough. I can't imagine his doesn't have his name plastered all over it. Are there any UTers in a position to know? I recall discussion here when it opened, which suggests it's been labeled in some fashion...

here ya go...
fords campaign HQ.jpg

Attachments

• fords campaign HQ.jpg
    fords campaign HQ.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,001

Ha! I saw that tweet yesterday and remembered having seen the pic that sno man has now posted.

So I swung by today and took this photo:
6GuH939.jpg

Thanks snoman! Of course. Should have known. Are there any campaign rules Ford hasn't broken??

Though I must say this one seems a bit silly - I'm not averse to campaign (and camping) offices being readily identifiable with signs.

But since it is a rule, I'd like to see Ford subject to the same criticism.

EDIT: nice pic Kat!

Last edited:
Ha! I saw that tweet yesterday and remembered having seen the pic that sno man has now posted.

So I swung by today and took this photo:
6GuH939.jpg

Way better pic than mine without the 'free candy' van in the way and the sun out, and lol, two weeks later, how long has Olivia had her office?

Mind you, I think it's silly to have a rule saying the campaign office can't be identified as such because that's "campaigning". It's a storefront in your neighbourhood and people are coming in and out, doing something inside -- wouldn't you want to know what it is?

Though it seems Ford's has a poster of the invite to the April launch event in the window, too.

Thanks snoman! Of course. Should have known. Are there any campaign rules Ford hasn't broken??

Though I must say this one seems a bit silly - I'm not averse to campaign (and camping) offices being readily identifiable with signs.

But since it is a rule, I'd like to see Ford subject to the same criticism.

Without having read it recently, I'm going with 'name okay, add the words "vote for" crosses the line', and as behind as I am, haven't seen a pic of OC's office... but dollars to donuts she has read the rules and everyone that has anything to do with her campaign has twice. RoFo in keeping with past behavior, would swear he wasn't in the room when someone mentioned the rules in passing...

Without having read it recently, I'm going with 'name okay, add the words "vote for" crosses the line', and as behind as I am, haven't seen a pic of OC's office... but dollars to donuts she has read the rules and everyone that has anything to do with her campaign has twice. RoFo in keeping with past behavior, would swear he wasn't in the room when someone mentioned the rules in passing...

Siobhan Morris tweeted earlier that she spoke with someone who is an expert in municipal law, and he said that Chow's sign is in violation of election law. He mentioned that it is in the same colour as her campaign logo, and there could be something with the size, too. It's large, the entire width of the front of the building. He said that bylaw officers probably wouldn't do anything unless someone complained (which I'm sure will happen now). But then someone from Chow's campaign said they looked into it, and it's legal. So who knows.

It's kind of ridiculous that they can register and debate so early, but no signs on their offices till July?

Back