News   Jul 22, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 615     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

From that National Post article:

“Also, a lot of comments by people that if they had to choose between [Olivia] Chow and [Rob] Ford, they kinda resigned themselves that they would have to vote for a Ford,” he said. “I don’t want to see the city go back to the freewheel spending that Miller had.”

Of course, Norm Gardiner should have known that there was a former city councillor, a moderate conservative even, already in the race. But Soknacki isn't a police barrel-sucker. We need one, I guess, in this race who isn't also under police investigation.

Didn't he get a lot of donations from outside the 416 last time though? That could happen again.

Yup. 34% are from non Torontonians. Something that still irks me. People who don't live or work in toronto have no business meddling in our elections with their money. There needs to be a rule against that kind of thing.

A 6 stop LRT* not subway.
The TTC signs outsite the SRT stations call it a subway.

They call the elevated portions of the Spadina line a subway as well.

I wouldn't call the SRT a subway, but the TTC has in the past.

Same way they've called the existing streetcar lines, light rail in the past.

Everyone: To vote in Toronto is ID necessary? In Ontario?

I am asking noting how some US states that are Republican controlled have sought to implement voter
ID laws to indirectly suppress some voting blocs that traditionally have lacked - or have access to getting
a State Driver License or Non-Driver ID card...

I am against any kind of voter suppression laws and think that the right to vote is important but with
an important Mayoral election this year in Toronto this should be watched to some extent...

LI MIKE

Everyone: To vote in Toronto is ID necessary? In Ontario?

I am asking noting how some US states that are Republican controlled have sought to implement voter
ID laws to indirectly suppress some voting blocs that traditionally have lacked - or have access to getting
a State Driver License or Non-Driver ID card...

I am against any kind of voter suppression laws and think that the right to vote is important but with
an important Mayoral election this year in Toronto this should be watched to some extent...

LI MIKE

Identification is needed when you go to vote.
If you do not have acceptable ID, but your name is on the voters' list you will be required to sign a Declaration of Identity to receive a ballot.
If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters' list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

Identification is needed when you go to vote.
If you do not have acceptable ID, but your name is on the voters' list you will be required to sign a Declaration of Identity to receive a ballot.
If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters' list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

And most everybody who's a permanent resident in Toronto would or should have some qualifying form of ID, so that shouldn't be a problem.
But what LI Mike's referring to is the excessively narrow and specific definition of "acceptable ID" in order to suppress certain voting blocs--especially whose who might be minority/underclass/"lib-leaning". (Though given how much of Ford's remaining base is paradoxically minority and underclass, such shenanigans would be electoral suicide for him.)

And most everybody who's a permanent resident in Toronto would or should have some qualifying form of ID, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Indeed - especially when you look at the list of acceptable ID:

• An Ontario driver’s licence
  • An Ontario Health Card (photo card)
  • An Ontario Photo Card
  • An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
  • A cancelled personalized cheque
  • A mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
  • An insurance policy or insurance statement
  • A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
  • A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
  • An income tax assessment notice
  • A Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)
  • A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • A property tax assessment
  • A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
  • A CNIB Bard or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • A hospital card or record
  • A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
  • A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
  • A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
  • A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
  • A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school

It's hard to think of an example of anyone who wouldn't have one of the above.

Homeless people come to mind, but according to http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/82/101000040382.html they have special provisions already:
Homeless person
The person has to take an oath stating that he/she is an eligible elector for the particular ward. The elector's qualifying address is determined by the place to which he or she returned most frequently to sleep or eat within the previous 5 weeks to voting day.​

So whose vote is possibly being suppressed? I really doubt this would be a big problem here. Such voter exclusion laws in backwards foreign countries seem to be based in racist bigotry, so would be much less likely here.

Last edited:
But what LI Mike's referring to is the excessively narrow and specific definition of "acceptable ID" in order to suppress certain voting blocs--especially whose who might be minority/underclass/"lib-leaning". (Though given how much of Ford's remaining base is paradoxically minority and underclass, such shenanigans would be electoral suicide for him.)

My own parents remember the "good old days" back in the "old country", even though they left because of the bad conditions then. Might be the same with other immigrants, they think BEFORE the problems back home, it was better. Except that should they return for a visit or to "retire" after everything settles down "back home", they find out that the "old country" does not exist anymore but is more like here in Canada (in most ways).

Back