News   Aug 09, 2024
 126     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 688     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Before you start lecturing me on the causes inequality, you should probably do your research.

From http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...sistence_of_racial_inequality_in_canada.html:

Yes, and how does that article address anything in my comment or related to Tory's statement? Evidence from groups which routinely confuse correlation with causation should also be ignored. It's quite clear that the kids of minorities living in Forest Hill do not experience many of the same difficulties as minorities in St. James Town. However, it's also very clear that "white trash" often do. The correlations between class and `success` are far stronger than between race and `success`; albeit this has far more evidence in the US than Canada largely because their stats collection process is better but enough is similar.

"The effect of these inequalities in the labour market is that racialized Canadians are three times more likely to live in poverty than other Canadians (19.8 per cent compared to 6.4 per cent)."

This is written to imply the persons race made them poor, which implies their family was NOT poor at some point and they got beat down when they came to Canada*. Garbage results caused by a garbage assumption that race is the cause. They went looking for a specific answer while ignore other possibilities, it's not surprising that they found it. Other interesting stats on Canadian immigrants (minorities) show they tend to be in top 10% richest households with some of the best paying jobs. There is a very strong correlation (vector machines easily tease it out of raw data) to the persons situation before coming to Canada. It's very weak correlation with race.

* This can happen when a persons education isn't sufficient to pass exams here to receive similar accreditation. Very few licensed fields are automatically transferable between countries. It also happens to some Canadians who emigrate.

Also, WTF is African-Canadian supposed to imply? There's one hell of a variety of skin tones across that continent (which includes Morocco where half the population has dirty-blond hair with light coloured eyes/skin, though they do tan very quickly). How can an article decrying racism require a reader to have racist assumptions in order to figure out what is being discussed? That's fucked up!

Aborigines and Native Americans do struggle, but in many ways it seems to be due to the lack of racism (or legal limits tailored to specific individuals at least). In the few tribes which account for those differences and impose stricter laws against certain substances, they tend to have above average earnings per family for their region. Ideal diet (all food, drink, substances ingested) is extremely dependent on an individuals genetic lineage and lifestyle.

Last edited:
I still believe Chow will finish a healthy second place. Nothing wrong with that.

Question...why do so many refer to the candidate as Olivia while the men get their surnames used? You can see it in posts above, where it is Ford, Tory and Olivia.

Because that's how her campaign positioned it.

Yup her campaign did that. It's better then Mrs. Layton, which some would be upset, about because it would be about "why is she getting defined by her husband?" I can see her in 4th if Ari Goldkind continues his momentum

Yup her campaign did that. It's better then Mrs. Layton, which some would be upset, about because it would be about "why is she getting defined by her husband?" I can see her in 4th if Ari Goldkind continues his momentum

If Goldkind performs admirably in the following few televised debates, this could be a real possibility.

Social scientists continually find that racialized Canadians face multiple disadvantages even after controlling for other factors (e.g. income of parents, immigration status, age, gender, etc)

God, it's so depressing that people are so reluctant to even admit basic facts like the existence of racial inequality.

Here's a thought - if you can't find a cause for something, keep looking! What about differences in education, language proficiency, culture, social networks? How about thinking how a municipal government can work to help all residents overcome these barriers?

Here's a thought - if you can't find a cause for something, keep looking! What about differences in education, language proficiency, culture, social networks? How about thinking how a municipal government can work to help all residents overcome these barriers?
Here's another. This has little to do specifically with the mayoral race. None of the candidates have taken on the issue as a campaign commitment.

Here's another. This has little to do specifically with the mayoral race. None of the candidates have taken on the issue as a campaign commitment.

Some people (not me) want to make it an issue; rather than telling them it's not a problem, to me it seems more helpful to focus their energies in a way that might actually be relevant in a mayoral election. It does sound like something Chow would say, if it's not actually part of her platform.

Just posted by Daniel Dale, update on remaining debates:

October 14: Canadian Club of Toronto
October 14, 7 p.m.: Mennonite New Life Centre, Latin American Civic Participation Campaign, Las Perlas del Mart TV and CCIME. Location: Mennonite New Life Centre, 1774 Queen St. E.

October 15, 4:30 p.m.: Newstalk 1010
October 16, 6 p.m.: CBC
October 20, 6 p.m.: Toronto Star-Martin Prosperity Institute. Location: 105 St. George St.

October 21, 10:30 a.m.: Toronto Real Estate Board
October 21, 7 p.m.: Scarborough Rotary Clubs/University of Toronto Scarborough

October 22, 6:30 p.m.: CP24
October 23, 6 p.m.: Citytv

Just posted by Daniel Dale, update on remaining debates:

October 14: Canadian Club of Toronto
October 14, 7 p.m.: Mennonite New Life Centre, Latin American Civic Participation Campaign, Las Perlas del Mart TV and CCIME. Location: Mennonite New Life Centre, 1774 Queen St. E.

October 15, 4:30 p.m.: Newstalk 1010
October 16, 6 p.m.: CBC
October 20, 6 p.m.: Toronto Star-Martin Prosperity Institute. Location: 105 St. George St.

October 21, 10:30 a.m.: Toronto Real Estate Board
October 21, 7 p.m.: Scarborough Rotary Clubs/University of Toronto Scarborough

October 22, 6:30 p.m.: CP24
October 23, 6 p.m.: Citytv

Which debates will Ari attend?

I'm sure I read that Goldkind wasn't invited to any other debates. If I were an organizer I would invite him <evil grin>

Back