News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 818     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 783     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Has anyone on this thread actually participated in a poll? Do you have a land line? I got a call from a polling company I'd never heard of - "Canadian Research Institute" or something like that, and actually went through the poll on principle. It took six and a half minutes to go through the whole thing! It's no wonder that they are inaccurate! How many people have the inclination to sit through those things?
Yes, I think I got them once ... National something ...

There's been several polls over the election from various. Always on the land line. Never on the two mobiles. Which makes me suspicious of how good the data is ... no wonder Forum is significantly undersampling 18-34!

Unfortunately this is a typical NDP election tactic. They would rather tear down a Liberal/centrist/moderate and elect a Conservative in the process than compromise their ideals and help the Liberal to win. Better to have ideological purity than compromise for the better of all!

Ultimately it is the fault of our electoral system. We need ranked ballots here and proportional representation provincially and federally rather than FPTP.

But yah, this all feeds into my general disdain for all partisan politics, regardless from where on the political spectrum.

Unfortunately this is a typical NDP election tactic. They would rather tear down a Liberal/centrist/moderate and elect a Conservative in the process than compromise their ideals and help the Liberal to win. Better to have ideological purity than compromise for the better of all!

What Liberal/centrist/moderate?

John Tory is a conservative. Heck, he's the former party leader. He's neither centrist nor Liberal.

I'm centrist ... typically voting Liberal, sometimes NDP, sometimes Green, and occasionally even PC. John Tory isn't centrist. The guy wants Toronto to institute fines for pan-handling. Does that sound centrist? Does supporting Rob Ford in the last election sound centrist?

If only we had a Liberal/centrist candidate ...

Though how this would elect Ford I don't know. There hasn't been a poll yet that shows Ford anywhere close to Tory (that Forum poll the other day where they normalized the data to cover the lack of data in the 18-34 range doesn't count ... look at the raw numbers ... it was Tory 47% to Ford 33% before they "fixed" it.

If you been convinced you have to vote for a Conservative like Tory to keep out Ford, then you fallen for the right wing trickery.

Last edited:
The thing is though, Tory actually cares about this city; the Fords do not.

"Right-wing" trickery or not, it's not a bad ploy to fall for. What I mean is that electing Tory would not be the disaster of electing a Ford. Tory would have respect for his colleagues, respect for the citizenry, and respect for the city. The Fords only have disdain for the lot.

So, really, perhaps his policy ideas aren't the greatest and perhaps he's arrogant (why, because he has more money than me and knows it? I don't really see it.), but he's a thousand times better of a mistake to have than a Ford and that alone is reason to vote for him if it will keep the degenerates (is this considered slander?) out of office.

I'd rather have in office a person who I disagree with but who loves the city as much as I do than the possibility of the degenerate greasy Ford clan having their claws all over our collective backs again. Great "right-wing" "trick", I guess.

PS: I'm probably not even voting for Tory...just thought I'd put this out there.

Has anyone on this thread actually participated in a poll? Do you have a land line? I got a call from a polling company I'd never heard of - "Canadian Research Institute" or something like that, and actually went through the poll on principle. It took six and a half minutes to go through the whole thing! It's no wonder that they are inaccurate! How many people have the inclination to sit through those things?

I have a land line and have never been polled. Mind you, I'm still at work and it's 7:20 pm. And this has been happening a lot lately. By the time I get home, maybe they're not calling people anymore.

The thing is though, Tory actually cares about this city; the Fords do not.
That's certainly true.

"Right-wing" trickery or not, it's not a bad ploy to fall for. What I mean is that electing Tory would not be the disaster of electing a Ford. Tory would have respect for his colleagues, respect for the citizenry, and respect for the city. The Fords only have disdain for the lot.
You speak as though Ford has a chance though. The polls have clearly shown that is not the case. This isn't like the 2010 election, where the polls were showing Ford could likely win.

I have a land line and have never been polled. Mind you, I'm still at work and it's 7:20 pm. And this has been happening a lot lately. By the time I get home, maybe they're not calling people anymore.
I don't think they'd call after 9 pm. Are you in the phone book?

I don't usually respond to phone surveys or polls but perhaps in the interest of helping polls be more accurate I've participated in two election polls so far: Mainstreet Technologies a few days ago and, just now, one by Public Polling, focusing on Ward 20. They were actually surprising brief.

And yes, landline.

Tory is a conservative. Heck, he's the former party leader. He's neither centrist nor Liberal.

I'm centrist ... typically voting Liberal, sometimes NDP, sometimes Green, and occasionally even PC. John Tory isn't centrist. The guy wants Toronto to institute fines for pan-handling. Does that sound centrist? Does supporting Rob Ford in the last election sound centrist?
Welcome back. I hope your bigot button is taped over :)

Over 40% of the city supported Ford in the last election, many of them consider themselves centralists, I would think. Certainly most will not repeat their vote for a Ford this time.

I consider myself centralist, and believe the gov't can and should provide good service. In its essence it's a transactional relationship, so there's nothing right or left wing about expecting services in exchange for tax. As for panhandlers....can we forget this term? There is no pan. They're beggars, and that's an honest name for it. How would you fine them? Instead how about we just enforce the laws we have against begging in stopped traffic, outside banks, etc? Again, nothing left or right wing about asking for the laws to be followed.

As for me, I vote for everyone, if you're for running an efficient govt and providing good services, you're my gal or guy.

the big question what sort of turnout will we have, i am hoping for better than 50%. And again am not sure i can vote "for" anyone, but I will vote for sure. Now SpecialEd Dougie says he won't turn up if Ari ? is there, wtf? I don't mean to offend any special ed graduates. Again I say Toronto needs to be a province, we need someone strong in the corridors of power. The whole transit thing really should NOT be a political football, if we had a cohesive development strategy, including b plans if a crunch happens the transit issue would not be on any debate, the solutions would come from the community not campaign insiders.

I think there's going to be a lot of people motivated to vote against Ford, whoever they may choose to vote for. It's still very true that a singularly anti-Ford campaign tack would solidify things for Tory or help get Chow back in the game.

On the other hand, I don't see Ford Nation being all that motivated this time. Sure, there is a lot of remaining crazies and the loyally disenchanted, but there is no equivalent to the "gravy train" narrative. And Doug makes a much less appealing candidate - at least Rob seemed to gain support amongst these types for his outrageousness and even for his "struggles" with addiction.

Otherwise I expect the polls have constantly overstated Doug's support. He'll get 25% tops, and it could easily be lower than that. We shall finally know in less than three weeks.

You speak as though Ford has a chance though. The polls have clearly shown that is not the case. This isn't like the 2010 election, where the polls were showing Ford could likely win.

I don't know what his chances are as I don't put too much stock into polls, but I am so bloody disgusted with those trolls from the west end that I have, for the first time in my life (as I explained in the poll thread), considered voting strategically to keep the degenerate out of office.

This is how bad it is in my opinion. For example, I really, really, really, didn't want Hudak to become premier, but even then the idea of voting strategically didn't even occur to me.

Now, from what I understand of the poll numbers, said troll d-bag has roughly a third's support, which to me is astonishing and indicative of a serious problem in this city. It is because of this that I would not be entirely surprised to learn that there is, in fact, a very real chance for the greaser to win.

Of course, I hope the universe keeps it from happening to us again.....but in this case, I'd be willing to cut my leg off so as to be able to escape the bear trap, if you know what I mean.

I don't think they'd call after 9 pm. Are you in the phone book?

just checked 411.ca -- yes I am. I haven't seen an actual printed "book" for a while! :p

actually there was a call tonight around 8:30 pm. I picked up and there was just white noise. I said hello a second time and then hung up. If I sense it's an auto-dialler I usually hang up quickly if there's no response to my hello, because it's usually telemarketers. Maybe that was a pollster who was too slow to pick up and start talking.

My view is: hey, you called me, and got me out of my chair; don't keep me waiting.

Welcome back. I hope your bigot button is taped over :)
As far as I know, I was blocked for making an ironic joke about my gender. I've had no communication before, during, or after to indicate what that was about. Which also means I don't actually know what to do any differently, other than avoid making jokes about myself. Meanwhile we've seen some bizarre incidents and editorials about the very issues I frequently harp on. There's little point getting into it though ...

Over 40% of the city supported Ford in the last election, many of them consider themselves centralists, I would think. Certainly most will not repeat their vote for a Ford this time.
I think you mistake populism with centrism. Though I can't really fathom what people who STILL support Ford consider themselves. I can see why some voted for him in 2010 ... but now? Really?

As for panhandlers....can we forget this term? There is no pan. They're beggars, and that's an honest name for it. How would you fine them? Instead how about we just enforce the laws we have against begging in stopped traffic, outside banks, etc? Again, nothing left or right wing about asking for the laws to be followed.
I generally agree. But John Tory is the one who wanted to fine them. What would this accomplish? We made great strides with the visible homeless problem during the Miller era, and haven't seen it get much worse currently. Tory certainly got the issue wrong last time, and the outreach programs under Miller that have still continued under Ford seem to be money well spent - at least for the visibility side of the problem. I won't pretend to know enough to comment on the actual extent of the problem itself.

As for me, I vote for everyone, if you're for running an efficient govt and providing good services, you're my gal or guy.
Sure ... but sometimes providing good services does mean spending money. No city in North America pays less than we do per capita (or at least per ride) for transit. One could argue that some of our horrendous transit issues could be fixed simply by spending a little more. TTC themselves have said this ... and have put together a plan to improve things for a mere $60 million or so a year. Which on one had sound astronomical. But on the other, is less than a 10-cent fare increase, and is almost a rounding error on the $1.5 billion or so operating budget. And yet Chow wants only to spend $20 million - about a 3 cent fare increase. And Tory waffles nice noises but won't commit to anything.

On roads, we here lots of noise about road closures, and that in this day and age we can fix roads without closing them, particularly during the day. Yes, that true. But it also costs more money, to do 2 weeks of night work, rather than a 2-day weekend closure. Do we want to spend more money for more convenience?

just checked 411.ca -- yes I am. I haven't seen an actual printed "book" for a while! :p
I phones up Bell to get them to send me one not so long ago. Then we had all those power failures. It's actually been useful occasionally ... if only to look up the number for Hydro. :)

Back