News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Those are really bad numbers for Chow.

I see as lot of similarities between Chow's campaign and Wynne's recent campaign. Stay positive and campaign on hope and optimism. Maybe voters are "hoped out." Or the Chow camp thinks that the voter zeitgeist will trend towards them come October.

Chow is losing her momentum, inevitably. People expect her to be the resurrection of Jack Layton. But her communication skill and personality are just not in the same league. Her proposed policies are losing focus. More bus expense and another 15/20 years to shovel the ground? Gun control and art program? People don't care that much. In turn people became impatient.

She is now paying for her "no subway now" policy. She is not even top ranked among Chinese, falling far behind RF. Considering she is from HK, she could be a little more progressive in terms of urban planning. What a shame! Chatted with her before, she is such a nice lady. Like a warm hearted neighbor than your insightful leader.

But for now, better defeating ford then supporting Chow.

Last edited:
The flip side is that these numbers aren't without risk for Tory. It's summer and he could peak too early and burn out his lead. The Chow campaign has been very quiet on policy and she's just been out meeting people and being seen in the city. This could be the sort of timing her team has been hoping for.

Or, her campaign could be a dud. Just like Tory will be as mayor.

She is now paying for her "no subway now" policy.
I think so too. It's not that anything she has said on transit isn't true or doesn't make sense. It's just that there's so little vision or desire to change the realities. Yes, you could argue that we don't need to see another politician painting pretty lines on a map. But realistically, that's actually what people want to see in campaigns, especially one so transit-centric.

I think so too. It's not that anything she has said on transit isn't true or doesn't make sense. It's just that there's so little vision or desire to change the realities. Yes, you could argue that we don't need to see another politician painting pretty lines on a map. But realistically, that's actually what people want to see in campaigns, especially one so transit-centric.

Then we complain that all we do is paint lines on maps. The people sometimes...

If I had to point to one reason why Chow's support is dropping, I'd say the debates. Chow seems to be in the same position as Barbara Hall back in 2003. She's just not a forceful orator. Tory's much better at public speaking. There was a reason Miller and Tory left everyone in the dust near the end of the campaign in 2003: people started paying attention to the debates.

In everyone's fear over vote-splitting, we may have overlooked the benefits of having multiple candidates on each side of the political divide. With multiple candidates, you have room to allow more dynamic candidates to break out of the pack. For the past two elections, the left has only had a single candidate to support (Chow and Pantalone), whereas the right has had multiple (Fordx2, Smitherman, Rossi, Tory, Stintz).

Those are really bad numbers for Chow.

I see as lot of similarities between Chow's campaign and Wynne's recent campaign. Stay positive and campaign on hope and optimism. Maybe voters are "hoped out." Or the Chow camp thinks that the voter zeitgeist will trend towards them come October.

Positive???

Wynnes entire campaign was scaremongering about Hudak.

If I had to point to one reason why Chow's support is dropping, I'd say the debates. Chow seems to be in the same position as Barbara Hall back in 2003. She's just not a forceful orator. Tory's much better at public speaking. There was a reason Miller and Tory left everyone in the dust near the end of the campaign in 2003: people started paying attention to the debates.

There's also the fact that she doesn't seem to be promising much. Some of her policy statements have been sensible but she comes off as a little too cautious to be appealing. She might be right about the DRL, for example, but a candidate who appears ambitious and presents a plan. however, misguided, is going to get more attention than one who says 'Whoa, let's not get carried away here ... there's no money ... we can't do anything big for a while yet'.

There's also the fact that she doesn't seem to be promising much. Some of her policy statements have been sensible but she comes off as a little too cautious to be appealing. She might be right about the DRL, for example, but a candidate who appears ambitious and presents a plan. however, misguided, is going to get more attention than one who says 'Whoa, let's not get carried away here ... there's no money ... we can't do anything big for a while yet'.

I really hope this is not a big part of her drop in popularity. Otherwise we really deserve what we will end up with!

If I had to point to one reason why Chow's support is dropping, I'd say the debates.

I think the Scarborough Subway is another main reason. After years of debate the City was fatigued and going back to the failed plan really made her look like yesterdays candidate.

I think the Scarborough Subway is another main reason. After years of debate the City was fatigued and going back to the failed plan really made her look like yesterdays candidate.

That may be the perception, but by going with the subway over the LRT, we're dooming ourselves to constant debates and uncertainty for the next several years. What's going to happen when it turns out that building a subway costs WAY more than the $3billion estimate that's been thrown around? We'll be right back to square one. The feds and the province will refuse to put in more money. Council won't have the guts to raise taxes. We're heading toward one big circular firing squad. Meanwhile, the RT will breakdown and we still won't have a decision made.

Back