News   Jul 15, 2024
 189     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 357     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Well, the short answer is that we do want to move past this and that is why many of us are so vehemently against Rob Ford. Rob Ford is the character that personifies all that hatred and all those bigoted traits you mentioned and is largely responsible for purporting this urban-suburban divide in our city.

He was elected to be mayor - a position that requires some level of competence, altruism and leadership.

A Toronto Mayor should be Mayor of ALL the people". Rob serves only some, and only if you agree with him on the subjects he wants. Nathan Phillips was know as "Mayor Of All The People". See link.
Phillips was dubbed "mayor of all the people". Until his election all mayors had been Protestant and every mayor in the twentieth century had been members of the Orange Order which dominated the city's political and business establishment. Phillips became mayor by defeating Mayor Leslie Howard Saunders, an Orangeman, who had stoked controversy with his sectarian comments about the importance of the Battle of the Boyne. Phillips' victory marked a turning point in Toronto history and its transformation from a Protestant, staunchly British and conservative city to a modern multicultural metropolis.

A bar *ahem* even he falls below.

No-one is perfect, but there's better. Much better. No-one else on council is mentioned extensively in an ongoing TPS investigation. No-one else thinks nothing of getting belligerently wasted in public. No-one else makes the shenanigans of Lastman seem positively quaint in comparison. No-one else has become a rolling international punchline.

I thought it to be implied but indeed. We can only describe Ford with antonyms of those traits I listed.

India votes this week, hundreds of millions of voters 1.5 million voting machine and you know what - they have a "none of the above" option. It doesn't affect the overall standings but at least people who are disgusted with the quality of candidates can express their opinion. I still maintain that a majority of 50% voter turnout does NOT constitute a mandate. Ford delusional if he thinks he had a mandate (or saved taxpayers $1 billion). For me the turnout will be the proving ground, I can't say whether Ford will be re-elected, one thing I am sure of if he loses he will blame the media.
Ignoring other people's opinions is not a good thing for a mayor, they need to be mature, respectful and willing to hear all voices not just those that serve your own agenda.

I do adamantly agree with Edmund,WK and Wishla. But perhaps Ford is an easy target as well, because he is such a 'slob' or a 'drunk'. He has such little respect for himself, that no one else does either. And because he is in the public eye, it is easy to direct all the blame for what is wrong with TO onto him. So I do understand where you are coming from kweku. Perhaps Ford has acted like the lightning rod for all the issues that need to be fixed in our city. (Not least of which, is that we seemingly have a huge addiction/mental health population, and they all inhabit Fraud Nayshun!)

That said, I can assure you that if all the Mayoral Candidates had 24 Hour scrutiny, we would find lots of imperfections among them as well.
If you are referring to the press (not security?), who do not follow him 24-hours anyway. Maybe ask yourself why the press follow him so much? Could it be because he doesn't answer their questions, yet ran on a platform of openness?

That's fine with me, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But what's really shocking to me is the amount of HATRED people spew on this forum against Rob Ford.

Considering the amount of things he did to shame the people of Toronto?

That said, I can assure you that if all the Mayoral Candidates had 24 Hour scrutiny, we would find lots of imperfections among them as well.

Sure, he wasn't the first mayor to receive scrutiny though - why is it that David Miller hasn't been caught drunk in public or otherwise get himself uninvited to events where he is presenting the city, for example? Certainly he has enough detractors back in his days. Actions lead to increased scrutiny - see the case of Mel.

If you don't want to vote for him, just wait to cast your vote for your alternative on election day, no one is perfect and that include all Rob Ford Haters. And remember, he was not elected to be a pastor....

He was not elected to be a joker and an international pariah either.

AoD

Last edited:
Ok Folks.... I have been reading a lot about your Mayoral race, and I can conclude that most Torontonians on this forum do not want Ford re-elected.
That's fine with me, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But what's really shocking to me is the amount of HATRED people spew on this forum against Rob Ford.

People have taken it so personal as if Rob Fords drinks to their stomach or smoke through their lungs. I do not condone some things he does like appearing on Jimmy kimmel and his public drunkings..

As a black person who go through constant racial profiling in my daily life, I find it tough to read all the hatred nonsense here on this forum because I can imagine what he is going through.
When are we going to stop all these unwaranted hatred and bigotry in society? When are we going to work hard for love for everyone irespective of their race, ethnicity or sexual orientation?

If you don't want to vote for him, just wait to cast your vote for your alternative on election day, no one is perfect and that include all Rob Ford Haters.
And remember, he was not elected to be a pastor....

That's interesting. I've never seen disapproval of Rob Ford being compared to racism or bigotry before.

Also use of the term "folks" is interesting, do others ever find they hear people in Toronto use that term? Just curious about use of the term in Toronto, the Ford brothers obviously use it a lot but I rarely hear it outside of them using it in Toronto.

Tonight at 9pm, tune into Toronto Headlines on Rogers TV (channel 10/63 in Toronto/Scarborough), as David will be sitting down for a candid, one-on-one interview on his vision for Toronto. Nothing is off the table, as the show will be covering everything from gridlock and taxes to social issues facing the city.

You can join the conversation by calling in, and asking David your questions directly: 416-446-7090

You can also follow the conversation on Twitter, using the hashtag #TOHeadlines.

Make sure to let David know what you think by telling him on Facebook or on Twitter.

Tonight at 9pm, tune into Toronto Headlines on Rogers TV (channel 10/63 in Toronto/Scarborough), as David will be sitting down for a candid, one-on-one interview on his vision for Toronto. Nothing is off the table, as the show will be covering everything from gridlock and taxes to social issues facing the city.

You can join the conversation by calling in, and asking David your questions directly: 416-446-7090

You can also follow the conversation on Twitter, using the hashtag #TOHeadlines.

Make sure to let David know what you think by telling him on Facebook or on Twitter.

David Who?

Lol sorry!
I cut and pasted it from an email, and didn't check to see if David SOKNACKI's last name was listed. :)
And you have 8 minutes now to get your questions ready!

Back