News   Jun 24, 2024
 187     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Never underestimate a hog, they aren't pink slow helpless animals. They are big, nasty, and hunted by helicopter with military rifles.

The folksy stuff tends to over well in the US where "The American People" like to think they all share middle class values. So when some plutocrat talks to them about these things its re-assuring. Its stupid for actual middle class politicians to talk to actual middle class voters about these things. Especially in a more urban electorate.

Councillor Adam Vaugan reacts to CityTV interview

"He made more sense when he was smoking crack-cocaine."

I know Adam Vaughan comes across as arrogant, which is why the Sun readers seem to hate him more than anyone else on the left, but he's such a great attack dog. I particularly liked when he said "the only similarity between Rob Ford and JFK is that neither one of them is going to win reelection".

I still wonder if Vaughan is going to come out and endorse Olivia Chow, since the two of them are former political enemies (bad blood during Vaughan's campaign to succeed her in Trinity-Spadina).

See here: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._chow_deletes_the_most_facebook_comments.html

Olivia Chow had to delete over 300 defamatory Facebook comments. Not just that, but her Wikipedia article gets vandalized quite often as well, which led me to requesting semi-protection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip...ct.7Cdelete.7Clinks.7Cwatch.7Clogs.7Cviews.29

There's a thoroughly nasty strain of Fordites whose reasoning appears to be:

Chow speaks with a slight accent -> I don't want to hear that accent/That's not someone with the same accent as mine/I have trouble with accents other than my own -> CHOW CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH OMG WTF

I know Adam Vaughan comes across as arrogant, which is why the Sun readers seem to hate him more than anyone else on the left, but he's such a great attack dog. I particularly liked when he said "the only similarity between Rob Ford and JFK is that neither one of them is going to win reelection".
Just thinking out loud really, but I do sometimes wonder if Vaughan would actually fare as bad city-wide as some expect he would in a Mayoralty contest. For instance, being arrogant worked for Ford. Also, holding to a few key positions worked for Ford. All I'm saying is that sometimes it's not even the position that matters in leadership, but being able to drill-down on it in a convincing way.

I don't think he would - as much as I enjoy his biting arrogance, it would not connect well with a good chunk of the electorate. Ford's arrogance works in a different way in that it operates by having demonized a certain segment of the population and subsequently discounts any opinion from said segment as irrelevant.

AoD

debate-473x315.jpg

Look at that power-pose body language lol.

The personal attacks on Chow reminds me of when the PCs under Kim Campbell attacked Jean Chrétien's mouth. The attack backfired very hard, leading to Chrétien winning a majority and the PCs having only two seats (and Campbell losing her own seat). Interestingly enough, John Tory created the Chrétien's mouth attack ad.

Back