News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 441     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stern has a knack for this kind of thing. In a few years I'm sure this building will look like it's always been there. I took a walk around it yesterday and am very pleased with how it has turned out.

I'm starting to warm to this one too. I agree with both Dan and Boggy on this one - it is too fussy for me... but Stern does seem to have the knack. Where RoCP 1 fails with it's proportions (and setbacks and podium specifically), this one just seems right for this type of architecture. The details between some of the windows on the upper floors are very skillfully handled here.

Still, the precast could have been more ivory, less french vanilla...

Looks alright to me, faux-deco isn't exactly my kind of architecture-of-choice but the quality of the materials is one of the strong points of this building and a building like this is perfectly situated in Yorkville. And I agree, buildings like these will probably look better as they age and mature which gives them the authentic gritty and dirty look of NYC deco gems.

Now Regency Yorkville....that one I'm worried about...:(

May 3:

st1to4.jpg

st2hv0.jpg

st3cq3.jpg

st4gv7.jpg

Boarded up houses across St Thomas:
st5mk8.jpg

Rendering on Lycee Francais across Charles:
st6xg6.jpg

I almost wouldn't mind living in that corner suite (2nd and 3rd floor) of the stern building. The only thing really wrong about the building is the context: it would fit in better on st clair west or (thinking of nyc here) facing a park--maybe 3 or 4 stern buildings on st clair facing churchill park?

A few comments/fantasy ideas:

I love those old victorians that will be sadly yanked down. If i were the developer here's what i'd do: get wil alsop to build a condo on top of the homes (on stilts?), then glass them in a "box"--the homes would make for funky little cafes at the base. Sort of like they're doing to an old library in Hespeler (Cambridge) Ontario.

Charles St could be closed to traffic (except locals from condos.) The vision: student-ghetto-meets-the-wealthy-on-the-patios kind of scene.

^ Every idea above is nifty as hell, imo - kudos!

But dream on, unfortunately...

1 St. Thomas doesn't strike me as the kind of location or building in which there should be retail at the ground level.

Agree with cassius... this is not a retail neighbourhood. That last pic posted by Mike in TO is the first one I've seen where the Stern building actually looks really good.

Back