News   Jul 16, 2024
 420     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 517     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 643     2 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yonge & Bloor was always fairly dead in the evenings, except for Friday & Saturday nights. It's busier in the summer too, obviously, than right now.

Previously, the area didn't seem capable of supporting the number of cinemas in the area, but with the continued spike in residential, perhaps we'll see a return of a cinema near this intersection. If we do, I hope it's better than the Cineplex Carlton. Great location, but that cinema never features films I want to see. I'd go there on a regular basis if they did.

Previously, the area didn't seem capable of supporting the number of cinemas in the area, but with the continued spike in residential, perhaps we'll see a return of a cinema near this intersection. If we do, I hope it's better than the Cineplex Carlton. Great location, but that cinema never features films I want to see. I'd go there on a regular basis if they did.

If you stop in think about it ... that's a good thing. The fact that the Carlton theater has managed to stay in operation so long showing non-mainstream Hollywood films speaks wonders about Toronto.

I hope that doesn't change.

Anyway, no matter how many new citizens there are - the AMC theater has a lot of room to aborb them. One thing that might happen is the AMC theater starts getting rights to the better films first.

This area supported all of the cinemas (Varsity, Uptown/Backstage, Plaza, Cumberland) and did well but they were expensive to operate. Also, Uptown/Backstage & Plaza required major renovations to make the cinemas wheelchair accessible which was cost prohibitive so that was the end of those two locations.

If you stop in think about it ... that's a good thing. The fact that the Carlton theater has managed to stay in operation so long showing non-mainstream Hollywood films speaks wonders about Toronto.

I hope that doesn't change.

Anyway, no matter how many new citizens there are - the AMC theater has a lot of room to aborb them. One thing that might happen is the AMC theater starts getting rights to the better films first.

I totally agree, independent and international film having a venue in the downtown area other than at festival time, even if its only a few films a month that are shown there is awesome. Thank god all the theatres in this city aren't just hollywood cheese palaces. Some of the best films are independent and non hollywood, and many of the worst films are from hollywood, so I hope it doesn;t change either.

Progress this morning. Like watching paint dry:

DSCN4444.jpg

Could it even support another movie thatre in the near future? The Varsity Thatre in the Manulife is very close.

It absolutely could. As I stated above, the Varsity, Uptown/Backstage & Plaza all did great business. What would be ideal is a decent 6 or 8 screen cinema that could replace both the Carlton and soon to be deceased, Cumberland Cinemas to play alternative/international fare.

I emailed Kyle Rae's office about this project last night, and got the following response (name omitted in case he doesn't want it aired):

"Thank you for your note. As far as we know, the project is still a go. The developer has an application into the C of A for a minor variance. It's expected to be considered in April."

Thanks to Kyle Rae's office for the info!

I emailed Kyle Rae's office about this project last night, and got the following response (name omitted in case he doesn't want it aired):

"Thank you for your note. As far as we know, the project is still a go. The developer has an application into the C of A for a minor variance. It's expected to be considered in April."

Thanks to Kyle Rae's office for the info!

I wonder if they are chopping off a couple of floors.

IMG_3591.jpg

^ ^ ^
March 22, 2009 ] DO YOU
]
vs. ] SEE ANY
]
March 27, 2009 ] DIFFERENCE ?
\/ \/ \/

DSCN4444.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Not much progress :(

Aren't they waiting for the requisite permits to be issued before excavation can be started? I was under the impression that right now, the contractor is waiting on the City for permission to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back