News   Jul 16, 2024
 528     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 548     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 680     2 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment references an earlier post that Yonge & Bloor pretty much dies around 9pm due to the loss of the cinemas in the area, restaurants now close early, the few remaining record stores close early and bars (save for the strip club) are now either closed or doing no business. Yonge & Bloor is now a dead zone at night yet it used to be such a busy, vibrant area just a few years ago.

At same rate, a lot of this traffic shifted closer to Y&D with the opening of the AMC theater there.

Why is anyone surprised? That is the result of the gentrification of Yonge street that a disturbing number of guys on this forum wish for. The sterile, corporate chains common in suburban malls slowly take over the interesting, quirky independent shops, bars and live music venues, and then people wonder why the area is dead at night. The same process has virtually eliminated any night-time vibrancy on Queen street as well, as far west as Augusta, where it picks up again thankfully for a few blocks. Be careful what you wish for.

Why is anyone surprised? That is the result of the gentrification of Yonge street that a disturbing number of guys on this forum wish for. The sterile, corporate chains common in suburban malls slowly take over the interesting, quirky independent shops, bars and live music venues, and then people wonder why the area is dead at night. The same process has virtually eliminated any night-time vibrancy on Queen street as well, as far west as Augusta, where it picks up again thankfully for a few blocks. Be careful what you wish for.

Is that really the major issue? Y-D Square is nothing but one big outdoor suburban mall, yet people flock there. And Yonge still isn't even very gentrified south of Bloor.

I think the problem is that there's simply nothing to do around Yonge and Bloor.

While there are some restaurants on Yonge, there is only retail on Bloor. This lack of business diversity results in a dead zone along all of Bloor after about 7 pm every day. However, just a very short block north of there, Yorkville is bustling. That's where the people are.

demolition

In my humble opinion - THE DEMOLITON was the cause .
The only hope is costruction of something on this empty lot when next cycle comes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as a resident of Yorkville/Victoria University, I'd like to take this moment to publicly bitch about the severe lack of restaurants on Bloor.

Even one or two more on the Yorkville stretch of Bloor would be nice.

I wonder which part of the present cycle we are on right now...

cycle.jpg

Yeah, as a resident of Yorkville/Victoria University, I'd like to take this moment to publicly bitch about the severe lack of restaurants on Bloor.

Right, but this isn't something that has changed it the last 5 years or so, it's always been a problem.

Bloor is for shopping, if you want restaurants walk west on Bloor or go a few blocks north to Yorkville. Remy's is actually very reasonably priced.

Rents are too high. It would be possible if the second floors of the retail on that stretch allowed for restaurants, like Dynasty in the Colonnade.

My concern with new construction along Bloor like Exhibit Residences is that they are taking out 4-5 small restaurants (if one can consider McD's a restaurant...perhaps that is a stretch) and replacing it with one huge commercial/retail space.

And to get to the topic of 1 Bloor East, I can see this as a potential issue with the retail component. However, the large retail spaces seem to do well on Bloor. Someplace like the small retail space at the Hyatt on the corner of Bloor & Avenue has been empty for what seems like about 2 years.

Anyway, Yorkville has plenty to eat, including around Manulife. I'd actually love to see the retail space at 55 Charles on the SW corner of Bay & Charles become a french bistro, jam packed with small tables and chairs with an awning along the bricked portion overlooking charles street.

The new Jack Astors is packed every night. Hopefully that will create some activity come summertime. Also, with the Longos opening up at the corner of Bloor and Park, hopefully that'll bring more street activity as well.

Longo's at Bloor and Park? Where exactly? I didn't realize there's enough retail space there for a supermarket. Unless Beddington's is gone.

Well the area lost half-dozen small restaurants with the demise of Roy Square.
Mind you ... those places were mostly only open during the day and closed by 5pm.

Well the area lost half-dozen small restaurants with the demise of Roy Square.
Mind you ... those places were mostly only open during the day and closed by 5pm.

Thanks ... I'm glad you included the second part of your post because I was going to point that out otherwise. Moreover, we really didn't lose much for those of you that haven't frequented Roy Square before its demise (in terms of stores that is).

I think there's some exaggeration going on here. Bloor street was never all that active at night time even when the movie theater was around - although there was activity around it!

Anyway, it's been gone for a while now and I wouldn't say much has changed since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back